Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How much does bombing and destroying planets harm your reputation?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How much does bombing and destroying planets harm your reputation? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How much does bombing and destroying planets harm your ... - 11/30/2013 11:17:58 PM   
hardcoregamer

I know that bombing or blowing up planets harms your reputation with the other races (and the race attacked), but there are still some things I don't get.

For example:

1. Does the penalty grow over time? Does bombing/destroying 2 planets cause a bigger hit to relations then just bombing/blowing up 1?

2. If I bomb a planet, stop, and then bomb it again later during the same war, then will I get another relations penalty all over again for bombing the same planet?

3. Is the relations penalty for bombing/destroying a planet as high for other races as it is for the victim race?
Post #: 1
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/1/2013 2:09:01 AM   
Mad Igor

for 2,3:
[common sense]
if you will start to bomb japan because you are at war with them,then everyone will hate you because you doin' a genocide.
[/common sense]
no one like terrorists and no one like hitler for the same reason.

< Message edited by Mad Igor -- 12/1/2013 3:25:50 AM >

(in reply to hardcoregamer)
Post #: 2
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/1/2013 5:48:32 PM   
hardcoregamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Igor

for 2,3:
[common sense]
if you will start to bomb japan because you are at war with them,then everyone will hate you because you doin' a genocide.
[/common sense]
no one like terrorists and no one like hitler for the same reason.

What you said did not really answer any of my questions.

(in reply to Mad Igor)
Post #: 3
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/1/2013 6:49:17 PM   
ASHBERY76

Reputation recovers so quickly I do not see any down side to bombarding.Pirate farming is also another way to game it.

Post #: 4
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/1/2013 7:22:31 PM   
hardcoregamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Reputation recovers so quickly I do not see any down side to bombarding.Pirate farming is also another way to game it.

Perhaps if you just go crazy and blow up half the galaxy getting rid of bad rep is harder?

Also, if your bad rep becomes high enough then perhaps its enough to make other races declare embargos or wars before you have gotten rid of the bad rep?

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/2/2013 6:39:50 AM   
Deathball

From my experience it seems reputation damage is per hit, i.e. every time a bombard weapon hits a planet it takes off some reputation. Also it is dependent on the target's reputation, bombarding a diabolical empire doesn't yield any repercussions.

Post #: 6
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/2/2013 10:52:18 AM   
solops

I'd like to see the rep hit mostly go away. Given all the other mayhem you are committing it seems a bit overdone. And why should you get any hit at all in the many cases where there are no opposition ships to escape and tell what happened or who did it?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Deathball)
Post #: 7
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/2/2013 1:24:45 PM   
ASHBERY76

Totally disagree.Reputation should have more meaning than it does in gameplay.I would add large hits to both DOW's and planet conquering.At present the so called evil races have noble reputations in most games unless they get a planet destroyer.

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 8
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/2/2013 2:25:26 PM   
hardcoregamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Totally disagree.Reputation should have more meaning than it does in gameplay.I would add large hits to both DOW's and planet conquering.At present the so called evil races have noble reputations in most games unless they get a planet destroyer.

I don't think all dow's should result in a rep hit. The game would benefit from a Paradox style CB system where you have to pick a reason for going to war, and if you don't have a legit one then you suffer a reputation penalty.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 9
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/2/2013 2:41:20 PM   
ASHBERY76

The game could do with a lot of fleshing out but we have to do with what the game has.

I am hoping reputation is one of the things on the modding expansion list for a tweakable xml file.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 12/2/2013 3:41:44 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/2/2013 5:43:57 PM   
elanaagain

I feel the diplo hits one takes are relatively mild. Consider that diplo hits, in part, derive from a cultural consensus. In Babylon 5, the Centari take a big diplo hit for using mass drivers in there bombardment of the Narn homeworld. Their prior occupation did not seem to generate quite the same level of animosity. General consensus was that mass drivers are an ‘unciviliized’ weapon of war. Also, look at Terra (Sol 3) in the early 21st century of the Common Era. The general consensus among Western nations, since the end of WWII, is that waging war among civil nations excludes using chemical weapons. Chemical weapons are ‘bad,’ while some other weapons are ‘OK.’ Consider the diplomatic responses to chemical weapon use: USA during Viet Nam War (err ‘police action'), Iran against the Kurds, Iran and Iraq 10 year war (c20 years ago), and most recently Syria’s evil chemical weapons. However, amongst many 3rd world nations, there is a strong feeling that many of the uber-high tech ‘conventional’ weapons currently being used by the West against persons in 3rd world nations are also WMD. Think how you would feel if a number of ‘OK’ cutter bombs were dropped in your city, town, or workplace. Each bomb releasing 100’s of razor sharp swirling blades, slicing everything they encounter, clothing, flesh, your friends, your family. Their consensus matters less in terms of diplomatic fallout because they have less power. But the use of particular weapons does elicit political / social / diplomatic responses. BTW, my intention is NOT to take sides, but merely illuminate the social context in which diplo hits often happen, both in fiction, and in RL. Finally, some games have attempted to incorporate aspects of these diplo hits into the game. The Civilization franchise with its congresses and United Nations comes to mind. The designers, in this case, felt that some weapons were so ‘bad’ (uncivilized?) that a game mechanism needs be introduced to allow players to attempt to limit or ban some weapons. In DW, the diplo hits (and the consensus its intended to represent) are a ‘given,’ fixed, and immutable. DW's diplo hits are IMO actually quite mild.

< Message edited by elanaagain -- 12/2/2013 6:48:53 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 11
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/2/2013 11:46:06 PM   
Plant

Some of the above does not answer the opening posters questions. The last one is just a full on rant.

1. Does the penalty grow over time? Does bombing/destroying 2 planets cause a bigger hit to relations then just bombing/blowing up 1?
Yes. It is proportional in my experience. The more you bomb/destroy, the greater the negative modifier. Bombing 2 planets has twice the hit to relations than bombing 1.

2. If I bomb a planet, stop, and then bomb it again later during the same war, then will I get another relations penalty all over again for bombing the same planet?
In my experience, it is proportional to the amount it has been bombed, possibly, by the amount of population killed. It is not calculated to per planet but by the level of bombardment.

3. Is the relations penalty for bombing/destroying a planet as high for other races as it is for the victim race?
I do not know if the race being bombed has never bombed before.No, especially if the victim has done bombing itself, the penalty is lessened or negligible.
Also I cannot remember whether the diplomatic hit is different for every race, whether "evil" races care less than "good" races.

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 12
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/3/2013 2:39:35 PM   
elanaagain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plant

Some of the above does not answer the opening posters questions. The last one is just a full on rant.

Yes. It is proportional in my experience. The more you bomb/destroy, the greater the negative modifier. Bombing 2 planets has twice the hit to relations than bombing 1.

In my experience, it is proportional to the amount it has been bombed, possibly, by the amount of population killed. It is not calculated to per planet but by the level of bombardment.

I do not know if the race being bombed has never bombed before.No, especially if the victim has done bombing itself, the penalty is lessened or negligible.
Also I cannot remember whether the diplomatic hit is different for every race, whether "evil" races care less than "good" races.

not a rant - a reply to others who posted comments about agreeing or disagreeing with the idea modifying the diplo penalty in DW. The last sentence is my point, and my opinion regarding why I feel the diplo hits, in vanilla dw are mild. Calling my post a rant (and therby implying I was ranting) was, and is quite rude behavior.

< Message edited by elanaagain -- 12/3/2013 3:41:49 PM >

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 13
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/3/2013 3:55:31 PM   
Plant

If you view that I was being rude, I apologise.

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 14
RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm y... - 12/4/2013 1:24:00 AM   
elanaagain

apology accepted.

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How much does bombing and destroying planets harm your reputation? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI