Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modding Capability?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Modding Capability? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modding Capability? - 10/21/2013 2:03:09 AM   
glumbumazn

Hey guys!
Just got into DW. Looked into modding.

Where are the core game files? The mechanics? calculations? I can't seem to find them.
As of now, almost all the mods I've found on the internet are either adding/changing races, ship families and other simple "mods". Hardly anything more than just a new paint covering on the original.

I want to know how to change the game mechanics like pre-requisites, fighters & bombers don't need a fighter bay (or increased fighters per bay), ship speed, damage calculations, damage radius (if there is any). Stats.

In all honesty, I haven't found one REAL conversion of this game nor have I found a modding guide that gives examples even close to what I want to change.

And NO, the "modding guide" is not actually a guide for "modding". It's a guide for changing pictures and basic text editing that is almost completely useless for people looking to change game mechanics.

I'd be glad to hear if someone has figured out how to change those.
Post #: 1
RE: Modding Capability? - 10/21/2013 7:16:24 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

They are currently working on what sounds like this...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3426398

(in reply to glumbumazn)
Post #: 2
RE: Modding Capability? - 10/21/2013 9:19:58 AM   
Fenrisfil

Well maybe. We don't really know yet what it involves except that it is largely geared towards the mod community.

At the moment the simple answer is you can't do it, which is why no mods like that exist. You cannot change core game mechanics or even create events or a story arc (something I do suspect the new expansion will allow), so everything is ultimately a makeover. Doesn't mean they aren't fun and the race/policy files do at least allow you to create different species personality rather than just whacking pictures over a vanilla personality.

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 3
RE: Modding Capability? - 10/21/2013 4:53:22 PM   
Cardassian_Union

just, waiting for next Expansion!

(in reply to Fenrisfil)
Post #: 4
RE: Modding Capability? - 10/23/2013 8:34:48 PM   
SpeedyGonzales

glumbumazn, I agree with you. In such type of games there need a LOT of modding options. This sh** continues from release date of original Distant Worlds and no one wants to fix it. We need to do something, not just sit and wait for another expansion!

(in reply to Cardassian_Union)
Post #: 5
RE: Modding Capability? - 10/24/2013 11:00:33 PM   
Schumann

IMHO, level of modding you mean is quite tricky to do right for a game of such massive scale, both complexity and performance wise, especially when it was not taken into account during the initial design stages. Also, not sure if it's 100% the case here, but considering the game was written in C# using OOP techniques, it could have been easy to fall into a trap of fast and easy implementation of numerous extra features over and over on top of a 'weakening' core (kinda like feature/class creep I'd say). Developers must be in a middle of a real refactoring hell at the moment, I imagine. ;-)

< Message edited by Schumann -- 10/24/2013 11:03:23 PM >

(in reply to SpeedyGonzales)
Post #: 6
RE: Modding Capability? - 11/14/2013 2:10:32 AM   
clone61279

Modding is simple for this game. I honestly don't understand what the issue is. The game engine is solid. I can run this game for hours on a 5 year old laptop, that went to Iraq, got sand-blasted, heat-scorched, dust-infused, and then back to the States. And actually, anything that changes from the basic release of a game is still a mod.

(in reply to Schumann)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Modding Capability? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI