Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard WiF 1.0?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard WiF 1.0? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard WiF ... - 11/10/2013 5:34:57 AM   
Greyshaft

It would be kinda interesting to compare those pictures to what we've got now.

/Greyshaft
Post #: 1
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 8:05:10 AM   
Extraneous

Patrice might depending on the scale you want.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 2
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 10:24:11 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

Not me, I don't have that.
But I suspect they looke 99% the same as WiF 4/5
Which looked like that
https://sites.google.com/site/frenchwifpage/home/world-in-flames-5th-edition/wif-counters/gallery-of-wif-countersheet

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 3
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 10:27:40 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

Not me, I don't have that.
But I suspect they looke 99% the same as WiF 4/5
Which looked like that
https://sites.google.com/site/frenchwifpage/home/world-in-flames-5th-edition/wif-counters/gallery-of-wif-countersheet
warspite1

Hey! There's a trip down memory lane - that's what I started with. Fortunately Planes In Flames came out just after I bought the game so only played with those "generic" counters for a very short time.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 4
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 11:17:20 AM   
Neilster

Wasn't there something to be said for the generic counters though? Not having zillions of counters cluttering up the board later in the game?

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 11:24:20 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Wasn't there something to be said for the generic counters though? Not having zillions of counters cluttering up the board later in the game?

Cheers, Neilster

Playing with the generic air counters was indeed much faster! That German TAC 5 using a D6 cleared many way in those days...

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 6
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 11:59:28 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

warspite1

Each to their own I guess. Personally I prefer the chrome, but recognise there is a trade-off in workload.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 7
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 3:12:30 PM   
willbowe

Here's a little pic showing some of the Asian map (don't seem to be able to find the European), the rule book and a smattering of CW and (I think) Soviet counters.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 3:28:52 PM   
Klydon

Orange was neutral back in the day. :D

(in reply to willbowe)
Post #: 9
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 4:03:42 PM   
willbowe

Ah yes, that's right. At what point in the game's evolution did rail lines appear? Before that there was "strategic movement", which IIRC meant you could move any distance from one city to another on the same land mass.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 10
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 5:36:12 PM   
Mynok

You're gonna make me get out my original maps and take snapshots aren't you....

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to willbowe)
Post #: 11
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 6:36:48 PM   
Mynok

A little nostalgia

Attachment (1)

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 12
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 6:45:08 PM   
Mynok

Sorry that came out blurry.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 13
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/10/2013 11:51:45 PM   
oleb

quote:

ORIGINAL: konevau

At what point in the game's evolution did rail lines appear? Before that there was "strategic movement", which IIRC meant you could move any distance from one city to another on the same land mass.

Rail lines was introduced with Africa/Asia Aflame in 1993. These sets contained maps of Africa and Asia that connected to the European map. As I recall, on these maps strategic movement was only possible along rail lines.

Ktarn

(in reply to willbowe)
Post #: 14
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 2:10:17 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Really? I didn't notice

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 15
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 5:23:41 AM   
Zorachus99

quote:

ORIGINAL: konevau

Here's a little pic showing some of the Asian map (don't seem to be able to find the European), the rule book and a smattering of CW and (I think) Soviet counters.

I think I see a 1(3)2 HQ there!

I remember the old days when HQ's couldn't move during mud, but you could transport them by ATR, until that rule got nixed, and they finally re-did HQ units. The first unit allowed to be stacked as a 3rd in the hex, I think.

All the planes had the same range...

Memories....

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to willbowe)
Post #: 16
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 5:39:55 AM   
willbowe

I bought my copy of WiF 1.0 as a teenage D&D geek in the mid-1980s who was dilettantishly exploring other areas of the gaming world. I'm Australian, and there was obviously a lot of buzz surrounding WiF in local gamerdom at the time. My interest in gaming faded after I finished high school, until around 1997 when I developed a late-blooming obsession with WW2 (activated by watching The World at War). It naturally occurred to me to brush the dust off that old WW2 game I had and, this being the dawn of the internet age, to look online to see if anyone still played it. And what do you know - not only had the game blossomed gloriously over the intervening decade-and-a-bit, but ADG was working on a computer game version! Due out next year!

< Message edited by konevau -- 11/11/2013 6:40:26 AM >

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 17
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 8:01:34 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Really? I didn't notice

Cheers, Neilster

Hee hee, you funny.

Paul

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 18
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 8:05:00 AM   
Froonp

I have found this. This must come from some WiF Vassal gamebox.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 19
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 8:14:25 AM   
paulderynck

Ah yes. I remember it well... Boy! that's ugly compared to what Steve and ADG have done since the good old days! (Which in fact are neither good nor old.)

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 11/11/2013 9:14:44 AM >

Paul

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 20
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 8:17:16 AM   
willbowe

I believe that's the 1.0 map, but the counters are from later. The 1.0 counters are lower resolution, and all the HQs and naval units are all generic.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 21
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 8:22:37 AM   
willbowe

I now see that the map has 5th Edition at the top left, but there are no other changes from the first edition map that I can see.

(in reply to willbowe)
Post #: 22
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 11:23:51 AM   
yvesp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

I have found this. This must come from some WiF Vassal gamebox.

Yes, your picture stirs off old memories.
The first edition I bought had such a look.

Counters would later change in new editions/add-ons.

The more stunning change was when planes got their actual picture, as in MWIF now.
Later, ground forces and ships would get better counters too.

I hated these out-map boxes used to move from one theater to the other. The combat rules there did not feel right. And taking a box (compared to the actual area they encompassed) far too easy. That was also changed with add-ons with new maps.

I also did not like the scale change that occured in Asia. It meant that a 1 movement point garrison could never move more than one hex in any turn, whatever the weather and impulse length. It always felt bad too.

MWIF is a large improvment over all of this.

Yves

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 23
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 4:46:32 PM   
GJK

As I recall, up to V4 of WiF, the map had an off-white for the clear terrain and brown mountains. V5 introduced the green "fields" for the clear terrain (great!) and the "steel mountains" (not so great IMHO) as can be seen here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1381701/world-in-flames?size=large

For V4 WiF owners, there was a conversion kit that could be purchased to upgrade your components to V5 (somewhat).

WiF/FE is unique in itself.

(in reply to yvesp)
Post #: 24
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 4:56:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

As I recall, up to V4 of WiF, the map had an off-white for the clear terrain and brown mountains. V5 introduced the green "fields" for the clear terrain (great!) and the "steel mountains" (not so great IMHO) as can be seen here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1381701/world-in-flames?size=large

For V4 WiF owners, there was a conversion kit that could be purchased to upgrade your components to V5 (somewhat).

WiF/FE is unique in itself.
warspite1

I played 5th Edition and the maps looked like those above - the hideous steel mountains and orange fists came after that.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 25
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 5:14:06 PM   
GJK

Ah, ok. It must of been for WiF/FE that they added those "features".

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 26
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 5:16:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

"Features" that was very polite if I might say Rare that ADG got something wrong with WIF, but boy did they get those maps wrong?

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 27
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/11/2013 6:21:18 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

"Features" that was very polite if I might say Rare that ADG got something wrong with WIF, but boy did they get those maps wrong?

The steel mountains gave me such negative visual stimulance that I stayed with v5 for that reason alone.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 28
RE: Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard ... - 11/12/2013 2:09:56 AM   
GJK

I have FE and 4th edition. 4th hardly represents WiF any longer but it was much simpler to get in to.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Does anyone have the map and counters to cardboard WiF 1.0? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI