Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why teams instead of squads?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Why teams instead of squads? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why teams instead of squads? - 6/15/2018 11:41:48 AM   
darkpatriot

I apologize if this has been answered before. I tried to use the search function to find an answer but I don't think it is working for me.

Why are teams the basic Infantry element instead of squads?

I have 2 issues with this.

1.) You will need be able to command a lot more units in order to have a company or the unit you are commanding will actually be more like a platoon or two rather than a full company. You will also have to keep track of and issue orders to twice as many Infantry units as you had to in previous installments.

2.) It is ahistorical. At least in regards to the US Army. One of the findings of the 1946 Infantry Conference at Fort Benning after WW2 was that despite the doctrine being for Infantry squads to be able to utilize fire and maneuver at the squad level with separate fire and maneuver elements, this rarely happened in practice and the squad was generally the smallest infantry element capable of maneuvering. Primarily because the squad leaders were not generally able to control separate elements well enough to achieve effective fire and maneuver even with an assistant squad leader. Especially given the high casualty rate among Infantry which resulted in a lot of squad leaders (and other squad members) being relatively inexperienced at that role.

< Message edited by darkpatriot -- 6/15/2018 12:02:51 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Why teams instead of squads? - 8/31/2018 3:50:09 AM   
sepp3gd

www.matrixgames.com/products/686/details/Close.Combat.-.The.Bloody.First

I am looking at this photo and it looks pretty much right on par with what has been presented to us in the past in one variety or another. Cross of Iron and A Bridge Too Far were different and allowed for command of many more forces at once - and was still not a negative; this looks very simple in contrast.

Maybe this will clear things up?

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/u-s-army-military-organization-from-squad-to-corps-4053660

http://secondworldwar.co.uk/index.php/army-sizes-a-ranks/86-army-units-a-sizes

https://www.thirteen.org/blog-post/u-s-army-units-explained-from-squads-to-brigades-to-corps/
(Yeah it is Vietnam but it still gives the break-down of the sandwich, even if the calories may vary from deli-meat particular, deli-cheese, and bread, it is bread, cheese, meat, lettuce, tomato, mayo, mustard.. etc.

I think that you will have to get over your issues and move forward.

< Message edited by sepp3gd -- 8/31/2018 3:55:03 AM >

(in reply to darkpatriot)
Post #: 2
RE: Why teams instead of squads? - 9/10/2018 8:23:22 AM   
GrdAdmiral

I much prefer the old A Bridge too far or Russian front setup where you choose all your teams individually. I’m not a fan of the way that Gateway to Caen has it locked to specifc battlegroups and only support is chosen. But I’m hoping with progressive units that TBF allows individual units to be chosen vs the battle group setup of GTC.

(in reply to sepp3gd)
Post #: 3
RE: Why teams instead of squads? - 9/11/2018 9:50:39 AM   
Destraex

Sections in the British army.

(in reply to GrdAdmiral)
Post #: 4
RE: Why teams instead of squads? - 3/7/2019 10:42:13 PM   
CGGrognard

Is the option to rename the units still intact? I ask because I try to keep the units within their squad.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Destraex)
Post #: 5
RE: Why teams instead of squads? - 3/12/2019 4:11:38 PM   
shadepiece

I like the team level if I'm honest. I have definitely read that the U.S. Army would often break squads into a move/assault element, and a base of fire element. So a BAR element combined with a rifle team seems to be the perfect fit.

There's a lot of times where moving one team of four or five is more advantageous than moving eight or nine men.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Why teams instead of squads? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI