Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's the purpose of protectorates?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What's the purpose of protectorates? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's the purpose of protectorates? - 2/17/2014 1:34:11 AM   
Hstio1

I've been promoted a number of times to ask another empire to become my protectorate. I can't really see the value. If they added something to help you achieve victory , by possibly giving you a percentage of their population/economy toward your victory points. If they don't provide help toward victory they seem to be there just to drag you into conflicts.
Post #: 1
RE: What's the purpose of protectorates? - 2/18/2014 8:23:10 AM   
Fenrisfil

There isn't really a purpose. Maybe if they counted towards "make X mutual defence pacts" objectives, but I don't think they do (I don't know for sure) and the objective to make any kind of alliance is easier to do with trade agreements. The rest of the time it is just a one sided relationship and only really has purpose if you are role playing your game. I suppose in theory there are occasions where you may wish to protect another race, such as them having access to a special resource they trade with you or they are providing useful tech trades (maybe your milking them for their unique tech). But in practice you can deal with these situations without having to commit to "always be there" for them.

Also if you wait for them to approach you, they will offer a MDP instead of asking to be your protectorate and that is obviously a better arrangement.

(in reply to Hstio1)
Post #: 2
RE: What's the purpose of protectorates? - 2/18/2014 6:14:11 PM   
ASHBERY76

This and subjugation need reworking to make it an actual thing and not pointless.Sadly both have had no attention since release.

(in reply to Fenrisfil)
Post #: 3
RE: What's the purpose of protectorates? - 2/18/2014 7:03:31 PM   
JCVocke

To be fair, there isn't a single Grand Strategy game in all of history that has done a truly Good Job of portraying the Vassal-Overlord Relationship. Even CK2 is pretty much just about number crunching Opinion to keep them from rebelling and then going Imprison Happy if they do.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 4
RE: What's the purpose of protectorates? - 2/18/2014 7:11:36 PM   
ASHBERY76

What.Subject nations in EU were vital to strategy.CK2 is not grand strategy.

(in reply to JCVocke)
Post #: 5
RE: What's the purpose of protectorates? - 2/18/2014 7:24:12 PM   
JCVocke

I never said they weren't important, I said that the relationship is only barely represented.

They give you money, they fight in your wars, and you can annex them, that's it.
You can't fund their development. There's no political interaction other than "We want to annex you now". There's no share of ideas or culture or anything else.

Although actually Victoria 2 implements some of those, albeit barely and only in certain situations.

Hell it took until the latest patch of EUIV before vassals would even try to rebel, and even then they can't do it if you are both at war despite vassals changing sides in wars all throughout history.

And I disagree that CK2 is not Grand Strategy. It has a different Focus from most Grand Strategy games but it's still about Strategy conducted on a Grand Scale.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What's the purpose of protectorates? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI