Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do you fly in storms and rain?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Do you fly in storms and rain? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do you fly in storms and rain? - 1/28/2003 9:15:47 PM   
Grotius

What air missions, if any, do you routinely fly in the rain or in thunderstorms? I recall reading that Mogami avoids flying in bad weather. Is this to avoid operational loss, or to ensure that missions proceed more effectively? In particular, do you

-- Routinely fly offensive missions like Naval Attack and Airfield Attack in bad weather?

-- Routinely fly recon, Air Search and CAP in bad weather?

-- Reduce the CAP% or Air Search% in bad weather?

-- Don't fly at all in bad weather?

If I knew how to make a poll, I'd construct it along those lines, but I don't. :rolleyes:
Post #: 1
- 1/29/2003 1:11:29 AM   
loader6

I fly everything since the weather is so generic and I don't have a clue where it's good and bad. I really don't pay attention to the weather since there is no prediction of what it will be the next turn.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 2
- 1/29/2003 1:36:45 AM   
Bax

I try not to launch any attacks in rain or in thunderstorms, although if I'm in the middle of an invasion, then I keep flying as long as my guys are alive.

I keep CAP up in all weather, as you never know when they'll be needed.

But in reality, I pay more attention to how fatigued my men are than almost anything else. Well-rested pilots do much better in battle.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 3
- 1/29/2003 1:44:31 AM   
bilbow

I fly without regard for weather except in the case of the Allied 4E bombers. To maximize their effectivness I usually limit flying to good weather. This is especially true in the early going where they are in very limited quantities and with no replacements for several months.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4
- 1/29/2003 2:07:44 AM   
CapAndGown

The point of flying only in good weather is that your bombers are more likely to find their target. If most of your bombers do not find their target, then they will have run up fatigue to no purpose. There are no operational losses associated directly with weather. But fatigued pilots may crash.

What does this mean for who and what to fly? Well, if not in the middle of a critical invasion or something, then Airfield attacks and Port attacks might be delayed if the weather is thunderstorms. Naval search units I just leave at 100% all the time and have had no problems with losing many. Ditto with ASW.

For carriers, once they are out at sea, they are set as if they were going to be in a battle regardless of the weather.

The only questionable item is what to do at an airbase with CAP. As the allies, early in #17, you may wish to stand your fighters at PM down during thunderstorms. Nells and Betty's can't really damage the field anyway (not early on anyway) and they may not launch, or find the target. So a thunderstorm may be a good time to rest your pilots at PM.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 5
- 1/29/2003 2:58:09 AM   
Feinder

I fly regardless of the weather. If the weather is so bad, it obviously cancels the mission anyways. But the forcast is just a general blanket for the map. If you notice on the tactical display for the combat, that it will say "Partly Cloudy" or "Rain" or whatever "over target area". The forcast is for the whole map, but it does seem to generate local weather for a target hex. It probably does something like "take the forcast, and radomize +/- levels and apply it to the target hex." So it might very well be T-storms in your hex, but P-cloudy at your target. I've seen this many times.

As an example of what I was saying, I think there are 5 weather forcasts. For each target hex, it "generates" a local weather condition based on the forcast, and then each local weather has a specific affect. (I really have no idea, I'm just supposing here).

Forcast : Overcast

For each target and base hex, it "rolls" on the table (again, just oversimplifying and guessing here)
5% Clear
15% P-Cloudy
60% Overcast
15% Rain
5% T-Storms

The effects are then applied to aircraft landing if at a base or CV TF, or to the target TF as appropriate :

Clear (-5% chance of operational loss, -2 fatigue; +1 detection, +5 accuracy)
P-Cloudy ("normal" operationnal loss, -0 fatigue; +0 detection, +0 accuracy)
Overcast(+2% operational loss, +1 fatigue; -1 detection, -2 accuracy)
Rain(+4% operational loss, +3 fatigue; -4 detection, -6 accuracy)
Thunderstorms(+7% operational loss, +5 fatigue; -9 detection, - 10 accuracy)

Shrug. I'm guessing it's something like that (and I'm sure I'd be oversimplifying things).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 6
- 1/29/2003 6:43:58 AM   
Point Luck

It has always been my understanding that the AI automaticlly grounds any A/C scheduled to fly if that base is socked in due to weather. I rotuinely get messages "air ops cancelled due to weather". So changing air ops based on current weather forcasts serves no purpose either air ops will fly or air ops will stand down. If the latter occurs then my crews get a respit

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 7
- 1/29/2003 8:16:55 AM   
CapAndGown

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Point Luck
[B]It has always been my understanding that the AI automaticlly grounds any A/C scheduled to fly if that base is socked in due to weather. I rotuinely get messages "air ops cancelled due to weather". So changing air ops based on current weather forcasts serves no purpose either air ops will fly or air ops will stand down. If the latter occurs then my crews get a respit [/B][/QUOTE]

This IS NOT the ONLY effect! Your bombers will be MUCH more likely NOT to find a target in bad weather. This means they will fly to the target, accumulate fatigue, and NOT drop their bombs. The question you have to ask is: Do I want to order them to fly with the chance that they will reach the target and not find it, accumulating fatigue and risking operational losses?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 8
Weather - 1/29/2003 8:20:35 AM   
mogami

Hi, I might in fact pay too much attention to the weather.
I've been caught countless times with my fighters grounded.
I never send bombers more then a few hexes in bad weather.
(I usally just change every bomber group to training or Naval attack) I've learned to not ground the fighters (but I still reduce the percentage)

In most of my PBEM games enemy operational loss's are 3-4 times
my own. (But every one of my opponenets also has flown 2-3 times the number of missions I have.- I might be too picky about when and where I fly. I always rest groups with more then 20 fatigue and I'll send a group to the rear if it's morale falls below 60)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 9
- 1/29/2003 11:22:38 AM   
Grotius

Hi all,

Thanks for these helpful replies. For what it's worth, Mogami, my approach is similar: I'm quite conservative about flying in bad weather, and my operational losses are comparatively low. But like you, I think I'm *too* conservative. I'd been leaving up some CAP, but I'd also been reducing Nav Search % of recon squadrons in bad weather. That might be a good idea for a one-turn rest, but not for a whole week of storms. As I just found out the hard way in my current game vs the AI.

There's also a question of predictability. Once I start PBEM -- as I hope to do any day now, once a certain annoying work project is out of the way -- I can't stop flying every time Mother Nature raises a fuss.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 10
- 1/29/2003 11:41:20 AM   
Fred98

When the turn begins you receive a weather forecast.

As I play the turn I cannot recall the current forecast. is it recorded in a info menu somewhere?

And as we know the weather varies from one place to another across the map, so if the forecast is accurate, that forecast might only apply to an area a few hexes wide.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 11
- 1/29/2003 11:46:23 AM   
bilbow

The weather forcast is at the top of the screen in the menu bar.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 12
Re: Do you fly in storms and rain? - 1/29/2003 2:54:11 PM   
Veer

Originally posted by Grotius
[B]

-- Routinely fly offensive missions like Naval Attack and Airfield Attack in bad weather?

Thunderstorms - no. Rain - maybe. Depends: If i'm launching an invasion everything goes, if it's just routine attacks, then it stands down.

-- Routinely fly recon, Air Search and CAP in bad weather?

Yes. Recon i hardly touch. Air search I set in the begining (when i first get the unit) and never touch it again. CAP - yes. Maybe scale down the percentages sometimes.

-- Reduce the CAP% or Air Search% in bad weather?
Don't touch air search, sometimes reduce CAP if there is no enemey threat nearby.

-- Don't fly at all in bad weather?
I fly.

CV's CAG's i don't touch during bad weather turns. Occassionaly I pull my bomber wings off ground attack missions and put them to naval attack and/or naval search (10%)

LBA's - usually don't attack during thunderstorms, unless i'm attacking the base and it NEEDS to be shut down.

I never change the Naval Search/ASW level of my float planes.

Sometimes i rotate CAP - stand one fighter down, and keep another up at a higher percentage.

I usually aviod sailing capital ships during thunderstorms too. When i can afford too, i wait for clear days.

In time of war the first casualty is truth. - Boake Carter

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 13
- 1/30/2003 5:50:49 AM   
Grotius

Veer,

<< I usually aviod sailing capital ships during thunderstorms too. When i can afford too, i wait for clear days. >>

I try to avoid this too, on the assumption that ships accrue SYS damage more quickly in bad weather. Do they? I don't see weather mentioned as a factor in SYS damage in the manual, but maybe I didn't look in the right spot.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 14
TF's - 1/30/2003 6:23:43 AM   
mogami

Hi, Well I'm quite the opposite concerning TF's I usally use bad weather as a reason to send out bombardment TF's (I want the weather to cover me) Also for the same reason my CV's usally leave port when the weather is bad (and try to get out into the open ocean without being seen)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 15
Re: TF's - 1/30/2003 11:36:25 PM   
Admiral DadMan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogami
[B]Hi, Well I'm quite the opposite concerning TF's I usally use bad weather as a reason to send out bombardment TF's (I want the weather to cover me) Also for the same reason my CV's usally leave port when the weather is bad (and try to get out into the open ocean without being seen) [/B][/QUOTE]I can confirm that he uses this tactic well...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 16
- 1/31/2003 11:29:17 AM   
Veer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grotius
[B]Veer,

<< I usually aviod sailing capital ships during thunderstorms too. When i can afford too, i wait for clear days. >>

I try to avoid this too, on the assumption that ships accrue SYS damage more quickly in bad weather. Do they? I don't see weather mentioned as a factor in SYS damage in the manual, but maybe I didn't look in the right spot. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, ships moving about in thunderstorm turns incur greaters sys damage. Ships moving in clear turns incur very little sys damage.

Ofcourse if your planning an offensive it's better to wait for poor weather...

In time of war the first casualty is truth. - Boake Carter

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Do you fly in storms and rain? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI