Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

how to script a neutral to turn hostile

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> how to script a neutral to turn hostile Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/20/2014 10:14:57 PM   
Yokes

One of the future feature requests by myself (and others) is the ability to change the posture of a side at a scripted time. For example, if you wanted a country to start off as neutral but suddenly declare war at a specified time or in response to a trigger. I came up with a work-around that you see in the attached scenario file. (Perhaps this was already obvious to everyone else, but it wasn't to me.)

In the example scenario there are two sides: side a and side b. I want "a" to turn hostile against "b" at a specific time. So I pick an out-of-the-way location (Patagonia is probably lovely this time of year) and I put down a SAM and radar for side "b". I give side "a" something with eyeballs (SEALs in this case) within visual range of the SAM. Next I put down a single-unit airport in range of the SAM and gave it something to get shot (a target drone, appropriately enough). I then give the target drone a mission to patrol close to the SAM (don't worry, they're neutral! ) that I can set to activate either based upon a time or on another trigger. Finally, I set up an exclusion zone around the SAM that will mark contacts "hostile". Once the mission is triggered, the drone flies into the exclusion zone, gets shot at by the SAM, the observer sees it shooting at the drone, and side "b" is declared hostile.

The downside is that it takes time for the drone to launch and transit to the exclusion zone (~2 min in my example) so you have to compensate for this if you want a time-based trigger. If you activate the mission based upon some trigger condition, then you just have to try to minimize the time by placing the airport close to the SAM. However, you have to be careful not to get it too close such that the SAM site can ID the target as neutral before it gets declared hostile.

I hope this is helpful.

Yokes

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/20/2014 10:39:18 PM   
mikmykWS

There are several requests for this feature in the event editor now and I've added yours. We'll get there soon hopefully!

Mike

(in reply to Yokes)
Post #: 2
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/20/2014 10:40:29 PM   
mikmykWS

Make sure you vote for it here too. We do look at this

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3432166

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 3
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/20/2014 11:18:11 PM   
Yokes

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Make sure you vote for it here too. We do look at this

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3432166

Mike,

I'm not going to vote for it since I have a work-around!

Yokes

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/21/2014 1:38:05 AM   
goodwoodrw

Yoke, don't keep us in suspense.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Yokes)
Post #: 5
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/21/2014 6:39:31 AM   
Jakob Wedman

I would set up a neutral exclusion zone "off map" and teleport a player unit into that exclusion zone.

< Message edited by Jakob Wedman -- 2/21/2014 7:40:38 AM >

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 6
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/21/2014 7:49:33 AM   
goodwoodrw

Not sure if its that easy Jakob, your idea may be fine for a small scenario with a few platforms, but to change a whole side with more than double figure size orbat would be unworkable

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Jakob Wedman)
Post #: 7
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/21/2014 4:15:36 PM   
Yokes

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

Yoke, don't keep us in suspense.

BASB,

I wrote up the work-around in the original post. You can also see the work-around in action in the attached scenario.

Yokes

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 8
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/21/2014 4:55:24 PM   
Rudd

Curious why you don't use the side posture condition with a time trigger?

(in reply to Yokes)
Post #: 9
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/21/2014 5:01:56 PM   
Jakob Wedman

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

Not sure if its that easy Jakob, your idea may be fine for a small scenario with a few platforms, but to change a whole side with more than double figure size orbat would be unworkable

With collective responsibility it works just fine
(You would use some irrelevant player unit, like a marker, to teleport.)

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 10
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/22/2014 3:23:03 PM   
Yokes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jakob Wedman

I would set up a neutral exclusion zone "off map" and teleport a player unit into that exclusion zone.

Jakob,

Are exclusion zones areas, or lines? I thought they were lines that required a unit to cross in order to trigger. Will transporting a unit inside an area defined by exclusion zone points work?

Yokes

Post #: 11
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/22/2014 4:30:28 PM   
Jakob Wedman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yokes

Jakob,

Are exclusion zones areas, or lines? I thought they were lines that required a unit to cross in order to trigger. Will transporting a unit inside an area defined by exclusion zone points work?

Yokes

They are areas. I've used this teleport into exclusion zones to change postures of "logical" sides which can then be used as a condition.

(If you would like to combine two triggers you can use the first to trigger a teleport action which change the posture of a logical side and when the second trigger is fired the event will fire only if the first has fired before )

(in reply to Yokes)
Post #: 12
RE: how to script a neutral to turn hostile - 2/22/2014 7:05:05 PM   
Yokes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jakob Wedman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yokes

Jakob,

Yokes

They are areas. I've used this teleport into exclusion zones to change postures of "logical" sides which can then be used as a condition.

(If you would like to combine two triggers you can use the first to trigger a teleport action which change the posture of a logical side and when the second trigger is fired the event will fire only if the first has fired before )

Jakob,

Yeah, that's definitely a superior method. Thanks for the tip!

Yokes

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> how to script a neutral to turn hostile Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI