Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT Books

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT Books Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT Books - 12/31/2013 4:48:54 PM   
Symon

Just got my Christmas copy of Rick Atkinson's "Guns at Last Light". Third book of his Liberation Trilogy. Only a quarter the way through, but it is dense and beautiful. Knew why he got the Pulitzer for "Army at Dawn", but add in "Day of Battle", and especially this one, and you have some of the best history ever written about men (and nations) at war.

I am beyond impressed at his understanding and nuance. This man is a giant ! Ciao. John

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Post #: 1
RE: OT Books - 12/31/2013 5:12:02 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I've read the first two in the trilogy and was really impressed. Some of the best books I've read about WWII.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 2
RE: OT Books - 12/31/2013 5:53:35 PM   
Mac Linehan

John -

I read "Crusade" shortly after retirement from the USMC.

Came across "Army at Dawn" periodically, and put it on my "eventually read" list. I did not make the connection with "Crusade" at the time.

I bought "Army at Dawn" for my kindle moments ago; after buying six books yesterday (my awesome wife forgives me...).

Thank You for the recommendation, I know it will be good.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 12/31/2013 6:54:32 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 3
RE: OT Books - 12/31/2013 6:32:34 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan
Thank You for the recommendation, I know it will be good.
Mac

Buy them and read them, Mac. IMHO his books are the best there ever was. IMHO they are as good as or better than Cornelius Ryan. His writing style is Pulitzer quality. His work is exceptional. Can't say any more than, I read and I wept. Ciao. John

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 4
RE: OT Books - 12/31/2013 8:24:27 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

Just got my Christmas copy of Rick Atkinson's "Guns at Last Light". Third book of his Liberation Trilogy. Only a quarter the way through, but it is dense and beautiful. Knew why he got the Pulitzer for "Army at Dawn", but add in "Day of Battle", and especially this one, and you have some of the best history ever written about men (and nations) at war.

I am beyond impressed at his understanding and nuance. This man is a giant ! Ciao. John

Hi John,

Finished his trilogy myself last month. I have read a number of books about the Western Front in the Second World War, but appreciated some of his unique spin on the personalities and their impact on Allied cohesion, for example. Of the three, I think I preferred "Army at Dawn", as it dealt with a much underappreciated aspect of the war, IMO.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 5
RE: OT Books - 12/31/2013 8:45:24 PM   
Terminus

Agreed. I acquired the audiobook of volume 3 over the holidays and will start it shortly.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6
RE: OT Books - 12/31/2013 9:42:40 PM   
John 3rd

Have the first of the three and haven't read it yet. I knew they gained awards but didn't know they were that good. Will move them up the list.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: OT Books - 12/31/2013 10:58:34 PM   
pontiouspilot

ok...on the recommendation I ordered today.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 8
RE: OT Books - 1/1/2014 7:52:09 PM   
geofflambert

I'm just about through Foote's trilogy. I guess I'll have to follow your advice. Don't let it go to your head.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 9
RE: OT Books - 1/2/2014 5:00:41 PM   
rsallen64

Yes, they are excellent, truly first rate. For a Pacific War trilogy that I am just starting the last book of (just got it for Christmas), check out Bruce Gamble's Rabaul Trilogy - Invasion Rabaul, Fortress Rabaul, and Target Rabaul. Not quite Atkinson, but good nonetheless.

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 10
RE: OT Books - 1/2/2014 8:15:05 PM   
geofflambert

I just ordered all three. You'll be hearing from me Symon if I'm disappointed. Now a question for you: Did George W. Bush disappoint Harriet Miers?

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 11
RE: OT Books - 1/2/2014 8:17:21 PM   
AW1Steve

I'm working the last one. The 1st two were magnificent , and this one seems to be of the same caliber.

Post #: 12
RE: OT Books - 1/3/2014 5:21:49 PM   
Mac Linehan

Gents -

"Army at Dawn" has met and exceeded all expectations. It was very difficult to read about the two attempted harbor assaults, and the 1100 mile Para drop.

Atkinson's writing is superb, and truly captures the human and political drama that influenced each and every decision. His description of combat is very gritty and realistic, and he captures the very different perspectives and attitudes displayed by the nationalities involved.

My only regret in buying a kindle version, is that the maps are very small and do not seem to enlarge.

I give him five stars, and will read through the full trilogy before picking up one of the many fine reads that are waiting on my shelf.

rsallen64 thank you for recommending Bruce Gamble. I will most definitely check that series out.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 13
RE: OT Books - 1/3/2014 5:54:14 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I've almost finished "The Battle of Britain" by James Holland. I can't base a recommendation on any kind of scholastic knowledge of my own, but in terms of whether I enjoyed the book and learned something I can say yes. I hardly wanted to put it down at times and I've thoroughly enjoyed the read.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

Post #: 14
RE: OT Books - 1/3/2014 7:22:29 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

Just got my Christmas copy of Rick Atkinson's "Guns at Last Light".

I bought all of them about 3 weeks ago, a lot of positive feedbacks.
Now my problem is the lacking of shelves

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 15
RE: OT Books - 1/3/2014 7:25:05 PM   
CaptDave

I'd like to think this forum has this kind of influence:

"An Army at Dawn" - 11 holds on 28 copies
"The Day of Battle" - 11 holds on 19 copies
"The Guns at Last Light" - 30 holds on 71 copies

Similar numbers (higher percentages) on the audiobook versions, no holds on any of his other books.

These are reports gathered over the last 5 minutes from the King County Library System (Washington). There's either a heck of a history class being taught somewhere, an unbelievable interest in the subject among the general public, or there are more silent forumites than we know of!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 16
RE: OT Books - 1/3/2014 9:00:01 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

Gents -

My only regret in buying a kindle version, is that the maps are very small and do not seem to enlarge.

Mac

Kindle is for kindling.

Post #: 17
RE: OT Books - 1/3/2014 9:32:14 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

Gents -

Mac

Kindle is for kindling.

Geoff -

When it comes to maps, which are rarely made for magnification, Kindle is indeed for kindling.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 1/8/2014 12:00:29 PM >

LAV-25 2147

Post #: 18
RE: OT Books - 1/3/2014 9:58:42 PM   
Terminus

Good thing we know those maps backwards and forwards now, eh?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 19
RE: OT Books - 1/5/2014 5:35:14 PM   
Symon

quote:

Gents -
"Army at Dawn" has met and exceeded all expectations. It was very difficult to read about the two attempted harbor assaults, and the 1100 mile Para drop.

Atkinson's writing is superb, and truly captures the human and political drama that influenced each and every decision. His description of combat is very gritty and realistic, and he captures the very different perspectives and attitudes displayed by the nationalities involved.
Mac

This is a totally apocryphal story I heard at a reunion. Atkinson was embedded with the 101st for Storm and Surge. He spent time with troops on the ground and was well received. He spent much time with Petreus, and talked with him a lot.

Petreus was “heard” to have said “I thought this guy was an Ivy League weenis [sic], but I would put him in my Ops shop any day. We lost a great one … “

Far be it of me to render truth from apocrypha, but the guy who was buying the Vodka was a person I respect.

Ciao. John

Yippy Ki Yay.

Post #: 20
RE: OT Books - 1/7/2014 7:11:12 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsallen64

Yes, they are excellent, truly first rate. For a Pacific War trilogy that I am just starting the last book of (just got it for Christmas), check out Bruce Gamble's Rabaul Trilogy - Invasion Rabaul, Fortress Rabaul, and Target Rabaul. Not quite Atkinson, but good nonetheless.

This forum always costs me money. Have 'Fortress Rabaul'. I thought a very good read. 'Invasion Rabaul' and 'Target Rabaul' should be arriving in a couple of days.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 21
RE: OT Books - 1/7/2014 7:51:37 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec
This forum always costs me money.

HAHA couldn´t have said it better Schanilec!

Thank you (damn you?) for the reading recommendation John, 3 more books on my to-buy list.

PS: Love the new plane stats up to now, awesome work! (did not expect anything else tbh...)

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 22
RE: OT Books - 1/7/2014 8:38:06 PM   
rsallen64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsallen64

This forum always costs me money. Have 'Fortress Rabaul'. I thought a very good read. 'Invasion Rabaul' and 'Target Rabaul' should be arriving in a couple of days.

You're welcome! (I think?) I would spend all the money I have on books and computer games and never leave the house, if I could, I think. My bookshelves are already groaning with books, and since moving into this house seven years ago I've added three bookcases and STILL have piles of books sitting around. Now, when I will have time to read them all is another story, and these lists don't help...

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 23
RE: OT Books - 1/7/2014 8:44:18 PM   
Schanilec

'Target: Rabaul' just arrived a little bit ago. I guess I have to wait a little bit for 'Invasion: Rabaul' to get here. One of my bedrooms upstairs is my library and another bedroom across the hall is the den or the C.I.C. Works out quite well.

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 24
RE: OT Books - 1/7/2014 9:21:36 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron
Thank you (damn you?) for the reading recommendation John, 3 more books on my to-buy list.

PS: Love the new plane stats up to now, awesome work! (did not expect anything else tbh...)

Rick is a rare prize, ain't he? Damn me if you wish, but after a reading or two, his books will take a prominent place on your bookshelf. Mine are brokebacked, dogeared, smudged, stained, and very often read.

Thanks. So far so good.

Ciao. J

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 25
RE: OT Books - 1/26/2014 6:07:39 PM   
Mac Linehan

JWE -

Finished Army at Dawn. Have just downloaded the two sequels.

Outstanding read. Have read other more general accounts on North Africa including The Desert Generals / Correlli Barnett - which I would highly recommended. However the Liberation Trilogy has given me a much needed (and very appreciated) detailed narrative of the US Army's magnificent maturing from a newly formed citizen force to a highly effective combat machine, that helped to crush what many consider to be the foremost military power of that time.

Perhaps what I most appreciate, is the intimate look at leaders and soldiers who were often less than ideal - with conflicting egos, personalities and naïve idealism - not to mention a general lack of training, but who learned quickly under the unforgiving stress of combat with it's sobering casualties and ultimately gained the experience and confidence to prevail against a formidable foe.

Thank You, Sir.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 26
RE: OT Books - 1/27/2014 1:14:57 PM   
Schanilec

A real good series similar to S.E. Morison's, History of the United States Navy in World War II is U.S. Army in World War II. The entire series is on-line. The PDF's are really large. A lot of volumes, very detailed with lots of maps. http://www.history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/collect/usaww2.html

Post #: 27
RE: OT Books - 1/28/2014 6:44:20 PM   
Mac Linehan

Schanilec -

Outstanding site and resource.

Thank You, Sir!

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 28
RE: OT Books - 1/28/2014 6:59:00 PM   
Schanilec

Isn't it. Cost me $400.00. I found the 11 Pacific Theatre volumes on e-bay.

Post #: 29
RE: OT Books - 1/28/2014 7:18:54 PM   
jeffk3510

Marc and I counted the volumes up the other day.. what was it 81 or 83 volumes.. something like that.

It is outstanding.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT Books Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI