Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Themes & Playstyles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Themes & Playstyles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Themes & Playstyles - 5/24/2014 4:25:41 PM   
FatBadger

Hi All

After admiring "DW" from a distance for a good while now, I'm pleased to say that the release of "Universe" has finally enabled me to jump on board. I'm very much enjoying it so far and am working my way through the tutorials at the moment and have just finished the eighth, so it's very nearly time to get my feet wet.

I hoped to pick your brains before then though with a couple of hopefully easy questions.

Firstly about research. Although not exclusively, most of the 4X games I've played in the past have been turn based rather than real time and the techs researched are done one at a time. Watching LP's of "DW" I see players launching multiple projects at once and I wondered how many you can have and if a left click selects the first then how are subsequent projects queued.

Secondly (and as per my title) I've just watched an excellent video from Das24680, in which he demonstrates how to apply (and combine) a mod and have now applied the "DW Extended Universe" mod and Das's own "UI Chrome" mod.

My game is now showing as using the Extended Universe "theme" and I notice that the in game encyclopedia advices my first game be pre warp using a standard empire in the time of the shadows "style". (This sounds great to me.) If I go down that route I wondered if the "style" will cancel out the "theme" and effectively stop using the really nice looking mod.

Thanks in advance for any advice
All the best
Badger

Post #: 1
RE: Themes & Playstyles - 5/24/2014 4:44:06 PM   
Shark7

On Research, you are able to research one project from each school at a time, so 3 simultaneously. However, with DW, you can set the path you want to take in each school, so its got a lot of flexibility.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to FatBadger)
Post #: 2
RE: Themes & Playstyles - 5/24/2014 4:44:35 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: FatBadger

Hi All

After admiring "DW" from a distance for a good while now, I'm pleased to say that the release of "Universe" has finally enabled me to jump on board. I'm very much enjoying it so far and am working my way through the tutorials at the moment and have just finished the eighth, so it's very nearly time to get my feet wet.

I hoped to pick your brains before then though with a couple of hopefully easy questions.

Firstly about research. Although not exclusively, most of the 4X games I've played in the past have been turn based rather than real time and the techs researched are done one at a time. Watching LP's of "DW" I see players launching multiple projects at once and I wondered how many you can have and if a left click selects the first then how are subsequent projects queued.

Secondly (and as per my title) I've just watched an excellent video from Das24680, in which he demonstrates how to apply (and combine) a mod and have now applied the "DW Extended Universe" mod and Das's own "UI Chrome" mod.

My game is now showing as using the Extended Universe "theme" and I notice that the in game encyclopedia advices my first game be pre warp using a standard empire in the time of the shadows "style". (This sounds great to me.) If I go down that route I wondered if the "style" will cancel out the "theme" and effectively stop using the really nice looking mod.

Thanks in advance for any advice
All the best
Badger

Regarding your first question, just left click on the first one, then the second, then the third and so on. A number in brackets will tell you where each one is in the queue. You can have a separate queue in each of the three tech areas.

Regarding your second question, I'm not sure, but you could easily test it. Just click on the button to start the game and it should take you to a screen in which you can select some settings for the game, including your race. If the extended races are there, then I guess it's incorporating the mod. As an alternative, just set up a custom game. This enables you to select all the events from the age of shadows and much more.

Have fun.

< Message edited by Osito -- 5/24/2014 5:46:01 PM >

(in reply to FatBadger)
Post #: 3
RE: Themes & Playstyles - 5/24/2014 5:16:55 PM   
Bingeling

I would not run pre-warp in the first game, but that may just be me. When I started it was not an option, anyways :)

Unless he has done more stuff than I am aware of, Extended adds races to the mix. And they are well made to have some personality. The main benefit should be that you have bigger differences in sets of for instance 11 random races in a game. It does not care about your setup options, including what storylines to run.

The mod should be active until you change it yourself. The exception is if you load a save game with a different theme/mod, in that case it will switch theme and load the game.

The Ancient Galaxy is also a custom theme, but this is a fixed scenario. I guess we can expect someone makes similar scenarios where it may not make a lot sense to run a "random" game under it.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 4
RE: Themes & Playstyles - 5/24/2014 5:46:02 PM   
FireLion1983

The era you start your game in has no bearing on what theme you're playing, except for Ancient Galaxies.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 5
RE: Themes & Playstyles - 5/25/2014 5:59:07 AM   
FatBadger

Thanks for the quick replies chaps

(in reply to FireLion1983)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Themes & Playstyles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI