Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe - 5/23/2014 8:50:48 PM   
Bebop Cola

Real quickly I wanted to say I am quite pleased with everything so far. Mostly I've been puttering around with the files a bit and looking over the new editor features. Good stuff.

Once question, though. I noted that some tech projects, like the engineered viruses, are locked pending certain events being triggered. However, if I start a custom game under the Ancient Galaxy template it looks like it treats it as an age of shadows game.

Will a custom game auto-generate the needed events and triggers to unlock those few tech items or will I need to manually add those triggers for a custom game?
Post #: 1
RE: Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe - 5/23/2014 9:53:49 PM   
elliotg

Hi Bebop

For these locked techs you'll need to add triggers to your custom game. These are really designed with The Ancient Galaxy map in mind, which has the triggers built in. You can see this for yourself by loading that game up and going into the game editor: Edit Galaxy > Show Game Events for this Galaxy

In the research.txt file each project can have a special function code. For these techs in The Ancient Galaxy this is used to lock the project (value 5). You can mod this value to 0 (no special function) if you want to have them unlocked from game start.

Thanks
Elliot

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 2
RE: Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe - 5/23/2014 9:56:38 PM   
Bebop Cola

Thanks, Elliot. I took a look and see how they're set up now. Should be easy enough to take care of.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 3
RE: Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe - 5/24/2014 5:28:11 PM   
Cauldyth

I just wanted to make sure I understand correctly - in an unmodded custom game in the Ancient Galaxy, it won't be possible to research the various new super-weapon techs?

If so, anyone care to put together a mini-mod to change that?

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 4
RE: Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe - 5/24/2014 6:33:22 PM   
Bebop Cola

The Super-Weapon techs, no. It's the techs like Machine Intelligence, Bio-Engineering, and Synthetic Viruses.

Granted, those latter techs are particularly designed for the Ancient Galaxy scenario, so may not be particularly important absent the events of that scenario.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 5
RE: Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe - 5/24/2014 6:34:42 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

I just wanted to make sure I understand correctly - in an unmodded custom game in the Ancient Galaxy, it won't be possible to research the various new super-weapon techs?

If so, anyone care to put together a mini-mod to change that?

There are no mods, there are themes, unlike, say, Skyrim where you can run as many separate mods together as you want or until your PC goes boom DW does not, you can select one theme to run as the main directory that the game draws on for new games, you can write over the master files for the three things that can not be modded in a theme but that's it.

You can combine things from themes and make a single theme remix but still only one theme at a time, even combining theme pieces takes a fair amount of juggling, even more so with Universe as the text files tend to work off each other.

Darkspire

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 6
RE: Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe - 5/24/2014 8:02:44 PM   
Cauldyth

Gotcha, thanks!

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 7
RE: Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe - 5/25/2014 10:49:36 AM   
Upuauta

So to sum it up for a person like me that has never modded a game, there is no way to get the "extra-technologies" from the ancient galaxy theme in for example the DW Extended Universe-theme? Did I understand that right? This is very complicated for me - so I really don´t know.
A dream for me would be a DW extended universe theme + the Das Chrome Blue theme (these both I got working together) + all the extra technologies from ancient galaxy combined in one theme to be used in a custom game. That would be cool (for me ;-) )because I don´t play pre-defined maps as they don´t have alot of replay-value for me. But as I undderstand from this thread this isn´t possible. Is that correct?

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 8
RE: Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe - 5/25/2014 10:55:25 AM   
Bingeling

If you are not for modding, give it some time. Universe is 2 days old. It is a fun game, it is modable. We have seen mods in the past, and more mods will probably appear.

The ancient galaxy is a theme by itself, made with tools available to everyone, and I am not sure the new techs add all that much to a random game. Think of it a bit like "look at what is possible, and how to do it".

(in reply to Upuauta)
Post #: 9
RE: Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe - 5/25/2014 11:40:17 AM   
Upuauta

Oh, don´t get me wrong. I love this game and I think there will be awesome mods/themes in the future.
Would have been nice to have this kind of three-themes-combo possible.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 10
RE: Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe - 5/25/2014 11:49:33 AM   
Bingeling

Since different themes can and will modify the same files, and possibly include conflicting information, it is not a good idea to have the game combine them automatically. You can make your own mod by merging other mods that you want included. Like dumping the icon mod into the extended mod (and hope that nothing breaks).

(in reply to Upuauta)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ancient Galaxy custom games - Universe Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI