Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Class DD

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Class DD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Class DD - 6/15/2014 9:41:44 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Hello everyone. I am doing some personal modifying of Andy Macs Ironman scenario and I am adding in a few extra Allied ships. I have decided to add in two extra modified Tribal class DDs, one beloning to the Royal Navy at Ceylon and a second for the RNZN.
I am having trouble coming up with names however since the RN used pretty much every possible warrior tribe name I can think of.
I had thought about HMS Spartan but that name belongs to a Dido class DD in the ETO. I also thought about HMS Athenian. HMS Athenienne was a Napoleonic era third rate but the RN never appeared to use the name again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Post #: 1
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/15/2014 9:56:57 PM   
btd64

British; Ordovices(They were warriors I believe) Iceni(rebelled against the romans) New Zealand; Rarawa and Waikato.(I think I read that they were protective of there people. Don't know if the names are in use. GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 2
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/15/2014 10:44:06 PM   
mind_messing

HMS Macedonian, HMS Mongol and HMS Abenaki (for a Canadian DD?)

Post #: 3
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/15/2014 11:51:00 PM   
Fallschirmjager

HMS Macedonian is a good name. Did the RN reuse ship names that were captured?
The Macedonian was one of the early ships used by the USN after it was captured in the war of 1812. A 38 gun frigate if I recall.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 4
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/15/2014 11:57:54 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

The Macedonian was one of the early ships used by the USN after it was captured in the war of 1812. A 38 gun frigate if I recall.

Captured ship names were re-used, HMS Java, another victim of the USN in the War of 1812, was reused.

Post #: 5
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 12:39:54 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

Captured ship names were re-used, HMS Java, another victim of the USN in the War of 1812, was reused.

Interesting naval history note. The ship that captured the Macedonia, the USS United States survived long enough to make it to the American Civil War. It was at Norfolk when the naval yard was captured by Confederate forces. They were going to use it as a harbor defense vessel but when Norfolk was about to be recaptured by Union forces they decided to sink her in the harbor as an obstruction. However, the timbers of the ships, despite being almost 70 years old. Were so strong and so thick that the men who were ordered to sink her used an entire box of axe blades and ruined them without doing much damage. They finally had to ordered in a large hand drill and have to drill her out from the inside in order to sink her.
Those six original USN frigates were built to last.

Post #: 6
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 12:41:53 AM   
geofflambert

Cymri, for the Welsh

Post #: 7
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 12:49:03 AM   
geofflambert

You can ask Canada if you can use Ottawa. Cree and Crow also. Of course there's Gael. Is Myrmidon taken? Scythian.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 12:55:43 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interesting naval history note. The ship that captured the Macedonia, the USS United States survived long enough to make it to the American Civil War. It was at Norfolk when the naval yard was captured by Confederate forces. They were going to use it as a harbor defense vessel but when Norfolk was about to be recaptured by Union forces they decided to sink her in the harbor as an obstruction. However, the timbers of the ships, despite being almost 70 years old. Were so strong and so thick that the men who were ordered to sink her used an entire box of axe blades and ruined them without doing much damage. They finally had to ordered in a large hand drill and have to drill her out from the inside in order to sink her.

Three of those were 44 gun and in my view the equivalent of Battlecruisers, fast an powerful. the other 3 were 38 gunners but still better than any British frigate considering the protection (in the thickness of the hull) and in firepower ( they mounted a large number of 32 pounders) and there was no warship faster.

correction: The primary weapon of all six was the 24 pounder. I'm sure I read somewhere that some 32 pounders were also used. Many of the smaller British frigates carried nothing above a 12 pounder.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/16/2014 2:03:10 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 1:28:09 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Three of those were 44 gun and in my view the equivalent of Battlecruisers, fast an powerful. the other 3 were 38 gunners but still better than any British frigate considering the protection (in the thickness of the hull) and in firepower ( they mounted a large number of 32 pounders) and there was no warship faster.

correction: The primary weapon of all six was the 24 pounder. I'm sure I read somewhere that some 32 pounders were also used. Many of the smaller British frigates carried nothing above a 12 pounder.

The early US had very limited funds and so it built the original six frigates with longevity in mind. They were designed to compete with any frigate then under sail and be able to operate independently.
They used extra thick hulls with the best timber that could be found and had a unique ribbed design.

As for armament. The first 4 were 44s and the last 2 were 36s.

Guns were mixed and it is hard to know exactly what they were armed with. Back in those days it was fairly easy to mix and match guns and change up what you carried.
By the war of 1812 all four of the 44s had been rerated as a 36 or 38. But I have read sources that this was incorrect and they were still 44s. I have also read that when you add in chase guns, swivel guns and anti personal cannonades that sometimes they carried as many as 50+ cannon.
USS President actually launched with 55 guns. Thirty-two 24-pounder , twenty-two 42-pounder carronades, and one 18-pounder long gun.

My understanding is that larger RN Frigates like the 38 gun class preferred the 18 lb long gun. It was a great mix of accuracy, hard hitting power and firing rate in a manageable weight and size.

< Message edited by Fallschirmjager -- 6/16/2014 2:28:27 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 1:48:51 AM   
geofflambert

My understanding is that the United States, President and Constitution were longer in the keel than the Chesepeake, Congress and Constellation. The 44/38 gun classification was nominal and did not mean they couldn't carry more. Whatever, though. I think they're all hot.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/16/2014 2:51:47 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 1:51:02 AM   
geofflambert

9 pounders were mostly useless. 24 pounders were good. 32 pounders were excellent.

I also read somewhere that while the architect in all six cases was the same, one of the contractors took some liberties on one of them.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/16/2014 2:56:35 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 6:37:25 AM   
Dixie

There's a fictional Tribal class destroyer in the novel 'Convoy' named Aztec. But it was sunk in the Bay of Biscay..

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 13
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 12:19:14 PM   
LeeChard

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

quote:

quote:

The early US had very limited funds and so it built the original six frigates with longevity in mind. They were designed to compete with any frigate then under sail and be able to operate independently.
They used extra thick hulls with the best timber that could be found and had a unique ribbed design.

As for armament. The first 4 were 44s and the last 2 were 36s.

Guns were mixed and it is hard to know exactly what they were armed with. Back in those days it was fairly easy to mix and match guns and change up what you carried.
By the war of 1812 all four of the 44s had been rerated as a 36 or 38. But I have read sources that this was incorrect and they were still 44s. I have also read that when you add in chase guns, swivel guns and anti personal cannonades that sometimes they carried as many as 50+ cannon.
USS President actually launched with 55 guns. Thirty-two 24-pounder , twenty-two 42-pounder carronades, and one 18-pounder long gun.

My understanding is that larger RN Frigates like the 38 gun class preferred the 18 lb long gun. It was a great mix of accuracy, hard hitting power and firing rate in a manageable weight and size.

There is an excellent book by Ian W. Toll called "Six Frigates". A definitive source on the politics and construction of these ships.

Post #: 14
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 12:39:16 PM   
wegman58

Looking at some things - four Tribal classes - the one in the game, a WWI version, a late 50's version and a 70's RCN version (one of which was in a task force that had my ship).

Looks like three of the four 'modern' RCN ships took names from WW II, but one wasn't a Tribal (might have been a something else):
HMCS Algonquin (DDG 283)

Early Cold War - no good, all named after WW II Tribals.

WW I gives us Amazon, Saracen, Crusader and Viking.

I didn't cross-check this with the whole thread, but the names have the advantage of being RN Tribal class names.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 15
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 2:36:44 PM   
crsutton

Looking over the Tribal DD names from WWII, they seem to be tribes that were part of the British Empire or at one time Allied to the Empire. So for example you could use four of the six Iroquois Confederacy tribes (Mohawk was used) but would not use Mohican or Oneida because they primarily were Allied with the Colonists. With that one consideration then there are hundreds of names you could use. Pathan, Tahitian, Senica, Kachin, or any of the 600 plus recognized tribes in India. Knock yourself out...

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 16
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/16/2014 3:06:50 PM   
czert2

i have few names : hopeless, loser, cursed :)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 17
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/18/2014 7:16:09 PM   
Treetop64

Found this list of African tribal names. Plenty to choose from.

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 18
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/20/2014 10:58:51 PM   
Jellicoe

HMS Zubian

The name given to the front of HMS Zulu and the stern of HMS Nubian that were joined together to create a new destroyer from the remnants of their predecessor in WW1

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 19
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/21/2014 12:30:09 PM   
chazz

Wiradjuri
Eora
Kwakiutl (pronounced Kwa-zhootul)
Ojibway
Sioux
Howeitat

=================================
Thank you for your replies and advice!!

"If you're in a fair fight, then you didn't plan it properly" - Nick Lappos

(in reply to Jellicoe)
Post #: 20
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/22/2014 6:56:04 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I have decided upon Macedonian and Athenian

I am going to give two modified Tribal Class to New Zealand as well but I am going to name them the Ocelot and the Lynx. Desmond Wallace who is a forum member who passed away last year from cancer is going to get the command of a extra London class heavy cruiser named the New Zealand. I always felt that the RNZN needed a capital ship.
I also added an extra St. Louis class CL named the Chattanooga.
Finally I gave the Dutch a a mid 1920 style coastal defense ship. It uses German naval weapons and has thick armor but slow speed and not much range. It's upgrade path gives it American AA guns and radar. If it survives it should be a useful shore bombardment and AA ship.

For the Japanese I gave them a class if six 'Destroyer leaders' but the AI wont use them as such. They have two 14cm guns and 4x4.7 inch guns
Plus the usual 13.2mm AA guns and later 25mm AA. They carry very limited depth charges but they carry 12 torpedo tubes.
I also gave the Japanese a 4 ship class of modern heavy cruisers they get 1 in Jan 1942, 1 in July 1942, 1 in November 1942 and the last in may of 1943
I also created an upgrade path that removes their 20cm guns and gives them 14 127mm guns and a mass of 25mm cannon and removes torpedos. They are reclassified as CLAA.
Not sure if the AI has the ability to do ship conversions.

(in reply to chazz)
Post #: 21
RE: Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Clas... - 6/22/2014 6:58:25 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Big thanks to everyone for their suggestions

< Message edited by Fallschirmjager -- 6/22/2014 8:15:05 AM >

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Need help with names for some fictional Tribal Class DD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI