Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Float Planes at night

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Float Planes at night Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Float Planes at night - 6/29/2014 12:26:38 AM   
Boomer Redleg

I noticed that I can't assign a float plane to an ASW mission at night but I can assign Naval Search at night. Does flying a Naval Search mission at night with a FP at a low altitude in a tight search radius of 1 hex help prevent enemy sub attacks at night?

Kaboom!

- See ya
Post #: 1
RE: Float Planes at night - 6/29/2014 2:13:49 AM   
obvert

Yes, but since your TF is likely moving, and the sub are moving, more than one hex can help too. Night and day search plus ASW al work to keep sub DL up so that they have more difficulty attacking and you have a higher possibility to one.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Boomer Redleg)
Post #: 2
RE: Float Planes at night - 6/29/2014 5:18:21 PM   
Boomer Redleg

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Yes, but since your TF is likely moving, and the sub are moving, more than one hex can help too. Night and day search plus ASW al work to keep sub DL up so that they have more difficulty attacking and you have a higher possibility to one.

Each hex is 46 miles. If I'm trying to find enemy subs at night why would I fly a float plane beyond a 1 hex range? Does not the chance of detecting a sub increase if I decrease the search area?

Does the hex type my TF is in factor into detection? Is it easier for FP to detect enemy subs in coastal or shallow hexes instead of deep sea hexes?

Kaboom!

- See ya

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3
RE: Float Planes at night - 6/29/2014 6:41:09 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boomer Redleg

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Each hex is 46 miles. If I'm trying to find enemy subs at night why would I fly a float plane beyond a 1 hex range? Does not the chance of detecting a sub increase if I decrease the search area?

Does the hex type my TF is in factor into detection? Is it easier for FP to detect enemy subs in coastal or shallow hexes instead of deep sea hexes?

With float planes, you don't really run into the problem of inverse relationship between search distance and sighting chance. As far as I know, search in this game engine works by arcs of 10 degrees. Note that there are only 6 hexes adjacent to any one hex; therefore, each of those hexes has somewhere around 6 arcs searching it. It isn't until you get out to longer ranges, perhaps near the maximum Jake search range, that you may suffer from gaps in hexes searched due to arcs not overlapping. Even if you don't set arcs, I think the game still uses them (they are random if you don't set them manually). I'm about 85% sure on everything I just said.

(in reply to Boomer Redleg)
Post #: 4
RE: Float Planes at night - 6/30/2014 1:15:56 AM   
alimentary

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
With float planes, you don't really run into the problem of inverse relationship between search distance and sighting chance. As far as I know, search in this game engine works by arcs of 10 degrees. Note that there are only 6 hexes adjacent to any one hex; therefore, each of those hexes has somewhere around 6 arcs searching it. It isn't until you get out to longer ranges, perhaps near the maximum Jake search range, that you may suffer from gaps in hexes searched due to arcs not overlapping. Even if you don't set arcs, I think the game still uses them (they are random if you don't set them manually). I'm about 85% sure on everything I just said.

Of course, at ranges of 4 hexes or less, search arcs are irrelevant. You get 360 degree search regardless and without penalty. So any discussion of search arcs must involve range 5 or greater.

At a 9 hex range, 10 degrees is a search arc that is one hex wide.

The search probability algorithms are, to my knowledge, undisclosed. My expectation would be the algorithm would be such that all hexes within the search sector(s) would have a non-zero probability of detection and that the probability would reduce with increased distance. The manual explicitly mentions a drop-off in detection chance after 5 hexes. Forum discussions have mentioned a further drop off beyond about 11 or 12 hexes iirc.

In answer to the question: "Does reducing range increase detection chance?", the manual answers specifically and in the affirmative. Section 7.1, page 151:

"Setting the max range to a lower range than
the full extended range will improve the chance to detect, as this can
translate to more flights by the same plane. Because the search can be
terminated due to detecting a TF, it possible better targets may be missed."

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Float Planes at night Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI