Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Upgrading squads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Upgrading squads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrading squads - 8/6/2014 3:23:00 PM   
Chris21wen

Now what happens to the pool of the old squads. Currently I'm in the process of upgrading to US 42 squads. The current pool for the old US 41 is 462. I'm assuming that at sometime in the future, when there are no active US 41 squads, they will all be converted to US 42. Is this correct?
Post #: 1
RE: Upgrading squads - 8/6/2014 4:14:50 PM   
moore4807

I think its determined if your preferences at the beginning of the game were set to auto convert/upgrade units or not. If not, you will have am impressive pool of obsolete units

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: Upgrading squads - 8/6/2014 4:44:03 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Now what happens to the pool of the old squads. Currently I'm in the process of upgrading to US 42 squads. The current pool for the old US 41 is 462. I'm assuming that at sometime in the future, when there are no active US 41 squads, they will all be converted to US 42. Is this correct?

Changed in the Jan. 2012 patch:

"40. After 6 months, an expired pooled device (squad or engineer type) will slowly convert to the upgraded version; if Japan, obsolete devices will revert to the raw materials."

The Moose

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 3
RE: Upgrading squads - 8/6/2014 6:43:46 PM   
Symon

Some people seem to think that carrying half the bombs equates to twice the range. This is not so. It is a power law relationship. Range equates (complexly) to fuel and speed, not necessarily weight. The bomb tonnage (aircraft weight) is a second order effect, so long as max take-off weight is not exceeded and the runway is long enough. Range is a power law function of speed and a (kinda/sorta) direct function of fuel – all other things being equal.

But enough of theory, let’s take a look at mistress Sally (to come). There’s two ways the bomb carrying characteristics of planes were established: space limited, and performance limited.

Space limited meant that the bays were configured for a certain set of armaments and there just wasn’t any way to squeeze in any more without reconfiguring the whole of the bay structure.

Performance limited meant that there was space, but that the hard limit was max take-off weight, so fuel had to be taken down to compensate.

Japanese planes were built to the ‘space limit’ standard. Their bays could hold a certain set of loadouts, and that was it. They spend their budget on fuel so that they could be either “fast or far”. It’s all in the math, and it’s not hard to figure. And it’s tactically appropriate in 1939, but Japan missed the conceptual boat.

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 4
RE: Upgrading squads - 8/6/2014 7:43:05 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

Some people seem to think that carrying half the bombs equates to twice the range. This is not so. It is a power law relationship. Range equates (complexly) to fuel and speed, not necessarily weight. The bomb tonnage (aircraft weight) is a second order effect, so long as max take-off weight is not exceeded and the runway is long enough. Range is a power law function of speed and a (kinda/sorta) direct function of fuel – all other things being equal.

But enough of theory, let’s take a look at mistress Sally (to come). There’s two ways the bomb carrying characteristics of planes were established: space limited, and performance limited.

Space limited meant that the bays were configured for a certain set of armaments and there just wasn’t any way to squeeze in any more without reconfiguring the whole of the bay structure.

Performance limited meant that there was space, but that the hard limit was max take-off weight, so fuel had to be taken down to compensate.

Japanese planes were built to the ‘space limit’ standard. Their bays could hold a certain set of loadouts, and that was it. They spend their budget on fuel so that they could be either “fast or far”. It’s all in the math, and it’s not hard to figure. And it’s tactically appropriate in 1939, but Japan missed the conceptual boat.

I know you meant this for the other thread on Japanese bombers..

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 5
RE: Upgrading squads - 8/6/2014 8:04:28 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Changed in the Jan. 2012 patch:

"40. After 6 months, an expired pooled device (squad or engineer type) will slowly convert to the upgraded version; if Japan, obsolete devices will revert to the raw materials."

Thought I'd seen that somewhere. Thanks

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Upgrading squads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI