Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Early Soviet ICBM failures

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Early Soviet ICBM failures Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Early Soviet ICBM failures - 8/15/2014 2:43:57 AM   
Patmanaut

Hi

I keep making progress with my nuclear exchange scenario in 1964.
While I was test running it, I´ve seen a high rate of duds / non detonating missiles, while other "missed XX City by 190m".(SS-7 Saddler R-16, silo based ICBM.)
I´ve commented about this issue some time ago. I know these were early soviet tech missiles with a high failure rate (ask Marshall Nedelin..)
Knowing about this I´ve assigned 2 and 3 missiles to each target.
But, a 18 Megaton warhead missing a city sized target by 200yds is also considering a dud or a detonating one?

Thank you!

Saludos

P

< Message edited by Patmanaut -- 8/15/2014 3:45:47 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Early Soviet ICBM failures - 8/15/2014 4:54:16 AM   
Randomizer

I have zero issues with this and consider the situation described to be misses and/or malfunctions.

We know that there is precisely zero data on operational ICBM reliability and that failure of any one of thousands of components could result in failure of the warhead to detonate as designed.

We know that nobody ever fired an armed nuclear warhead over the poles where the relatively greater radiation in the Van Allan belts might have played havoc with sensitive or inadequately shielded electronic components.

We know that there were any number of failed missile and even warhead tests although test equipment was maintained, tweaked and adjusted in a manner that operational missiles never were or could be.

We absolutely do not know what the percentage of ineffective ICBM sorties may have been and the official numbers should be suspect because there was no way to test the system under war condition.

That famous double Minuteman shot out of Vandenburg Air Force Base took some six weeks of intensive preparation and even then the warheads were instrumented instead of live and the trajectories were towards the equator rather than the poles.

My opinion is that CMANO strikes a pretty reasonable balance particularly if misses are treated as malfunctions and see no harm in the way the model treats the ballistic missiles that I have used in scenarios or tested so far.

I see no bugs here.

-C

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Patmanaut)
Post #: 2
RE: Early Soviet ICBM failures - 8/15/2014 11:16:08 AM   
warshipbuilder

quote:

We know that there is precisely zero data on operational ICBM reliability/quote]

I certainly hope we never find out.

< Message edited by warshipbuilder -- 8/15/2014 12:16:46 PM >

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 3
RE: Early Soviet ICBM failures - 8/15/2014 1:59:11 PM   
Patmanaut

Thank you for your explanation, Randomizer.
I think I´ll leave the icbm vs target ratio as it is.
I´ll keep working on this scenario.

(in reply to warshipbuilder)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Early Soviet ICBM failures Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI