Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Diecast models Vs Plastic

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Diecast models Vs Plastic Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Diecast models Vs Plastic - 2/27/2003 6:28:30 PM   
Raverdave

This seems to be the right spot for this discussion as i know there are a few keen (and even expert) model makers lurking on this part of the forum.

I have notice in the last few years the growth of the diecast model, which once was used mainly for cars, and is now making major inroads with aircraft, and even ships. I have had a look at these models and at first blush are quite good. The detail is nice and it is always a pleasing experiance to hold one and feel its "weight" as well as the cold touch of metal against your skin. There is no doubt that these are aimed at "time poor" people (such as myself) and must have hit the mark due to the fact that they seem to be in sold in an ever increaseing range. Heck, you can even order an Aussie Spit as well as a Huey and FA-18 just to name a few.

I have also now seen Tanks start to enter the market and as the link below show, there is a vast range of ships to be had also.

I have no doubt that these models are being "snorted" at by the purist (How do you define some one as Pure?:confused: ) but the fact remains that they seem to have found a market. At around $140 Aussie for a copy of a Spitfire or and $200 for a B-25, they don't come cheep.

As an aside, does anyone here own one of the diecast ships shown on the link below? And if so, how does the detail compare to a plastic model of the same scale?

http://www.miniships.com/wwii-ships.html

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Post #: 1
- 2/27/2003 7:38:33 PM   
SwampYankee68

I'm no expert, but they look great to me. Thanks for the link. For those of us on a tighter budget, you can check out the highly detailed plastic models at [URL=http://www.21stcenturytoys.com]http://www.21stcenturytoys.com[/URL]

I have a few, they're pretty neat...And you don't cry when your son plays with them and breaks off a MG! :)

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 2
- 2/27/2003 7:53:50 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE] Fallshirmjager Major Von Schnitzel

WHERE TO BUY: Click here

PRODUCT ID: 10224

DESCRIPTION:
Fallshirmjager Major Von Schnitzel

[/QUOTE]

"von Schnitzel" , LOL, what a sterotype :D

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 3
- 2/27/2003 9:03:36 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I AM an expert (chuckle if you need to hehe). But I have worked professionally at least.

Diecast has indeed come a long way.

Yes they are expensive as hell.

Reasons for getting a die cast model today.

A. You like the subject (hey that should be enough).
B. You want the model and can't make it in plastic (sounds like a good enough reason).
C. The well known feline will have a harder time breaking it.
D. They might be expensive, but are currently being made amazingly well (well mostly it's they are finally getting past just doing cars).
E. Forget expense, you just want the darn thing (always a winning reason).

Reasons for Plastic.

A. Its making it that counts, not having it (this reason is hard to eliminate).
B. What you wanted is not made in Die cast (hard to get around that).
C. You don't own a cat or similar hassle (well not much of a reason admittedly).
D. Metal while harder, doesn't allow quite the detail always (although photo etched is now rampant in the hobby) Bascally it is up to the maker to decide how much detail is being allowed.
E. Plastic Kits are usually made to exacting owner preferences, while a Die Cast is only the way it is sold.

In the final analysis, I am a plastic modeller fan, but if I had the cash, yes I would buy them.
I think it is all in how you consider them.
I see them as toys an adult can own and not feel silly (hey everyone likes toys).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 4
- 2/27/2003 11:40:17 PM   
SwampYankee68

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]"von Schnitzel" , LOL, what a sterotype :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Where'd you find that?

Kind of like the "Paddy O'Brien" drunken cavalry trooper.....

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 5
- 2/28/2003 4:48:04 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Is 1/1250 as big as they come?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 6
- 2/28/2003 11:43:19 AM   
RayM

I too am a modeler who loves gaming and military history as well.

I have a small collection of 1/1250 scale metal cruisers and find them to be a great (although somewhat [to very] expensive) way to build a small fleet of my favorite ships. Most of the best ones are made in Europe and have great details for such a small size. There are all sorts of web sites and dealers who sell them. There are also collector clubs and interest groups for these types of models. Other pluses include the fact that many historical periods and countries are covered. Overall, very nice indeed and you don't need alot of shelf space.

While I think they are mainly kept in collections, in some instances, I think some people may use the ships in gym floor or large table naval wargaming. In fact before computers came along, the USN and other navies played war games using such models. In WWII, similar metal models were developed as identification aids and were kept in grey wooden carrying/storage cases. These items are highly collectable and expensive when and if you find them. In many instances, the ship models have been painted and the details (antennas, masts, etc.) are truly remarkable.

Although I build ships now, I used to build aircraft and I think the die-cast airplanes are very good. Personally, I am saddened somewhat because ready made die-cast aircraft/cars of good quality means that youngsters never discover the sense of accomplishment and pride you get when you build and finish a kit. Also, hand and eye coordination is just as important in modeling as well as computer/console gaming.

FYI, I bought a hugh 1/18 scale die-cast F4U-1A Corsair last year at the IPMS/USA National Contest. Very cool. Unfortunately, I have to leave it in the box because I haven't a storage case big enough.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 7
- 2/28/2003 9:25:30 PM   
SwampYankee68

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RayM
[B]

While I think they are mainly kept in collections, in some instances, I think some people may use the ships in gym floor or large table naval wargaming. In fact before computers came along, the USN and other navies played war games using such models.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I know that Harpoon originally was a miniatures game played on the floor. I'll bet there was a WWII equivilent. Sounds neat, but the computers make it som much easier, if less personal.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 8
- 2/28/2003 10:07:21 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Swamp_Yankee
[B]Where'd you find that?

Kind of like the "Paddy O'Brien" drunken cavalry trooper..... [/B][/QUOTE]

Here you go:

http://www.21stcenturytoys.com/products/productdetail.asp?part_no=10224

Marc von Pommes

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 9
- 3/1/2003 4:54:40 AM   
SwampYankee68

Yup. He looks like a Von Scnitzel. You can tell by the eyes. :)

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Diecast models Vs Plastic Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI