Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OBD, airfield mission kill

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> OBD, airfield mission kill Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OBD, airfield mission kill - 2/13/2014 1:44:55 PM   
dillonkbase

So I have been playing operation brass drum and in doing so I am learning about destroying Iran's Airfields. And what I have found is that they are pretty difficult to destroy or even mission kill. So I guess my question is how have you been going about destroying these, why have you chosen this method, and how do you know when its damaged enough.

I have used tactom and JDAM... over 5 jdam per runway and they are still taking off, all the access points are on fire(hit by tactoms)?

Is it better to just go after the aircraft bunkers, or av gas? Does hitting fuel tanks cause secondary explosions?

Does taking out the control tower effect launching or landing?

.... also how does one re target a tactom? I cannot find this in the manual?

Are cluster munitions more effective than unitary?

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 9/2/2014 7:09:21 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 2/13/2014 4:06:36 PM   
Yokes

These are great questions and I look forward to hearing more discussion on this.

I have a related question on using cluster munitions on open parking spaces. I have a scenario (Indian Ocean Brawl) where I have a bunch of aircraft parked in tightly-packed open tarmac parking spaces. An aircraft drops some cluster munitions over one of these spaces and when the munition "breaks open" it usually registers as a hit against the targeted parking space and kills the aircraft parked there. Then, you can see the bomblets spreading out and impacting neighboring parking spaces. However, it seems that these bomblets can damage the parking spaces without damaging the aircraft parked there.

I was expecting the bomblets to destroy lots of neighboring aircraft in addition to the specific space that was targeted.

Yokes

(in reply to dillonkbase)
Post #: 2
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 2/13/2014 7:00:46 PM   
ComDev

A savegame would help tons, thanks! 

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to Yokes)
Post #: 3
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 2/13/2014 7:34:22 PM   
Yokes

Emsoy,

Just start the scenario and about 35 min in you will see it.

Yokes

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 4
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 2/13/2014 9:55:34 PM   
dillonkbase

Build 490

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Yokes)
Post #: 5
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 2/14/2014 12:20:26 AM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: dillonkbase

So I have been playing operation brass drum and in doing so I am learning about destroying Iran's Airfields. And what I have found is that they are pretty difficult to destroy or even mission kill. So I guess my question is how have you been going about destroying these, why have you chosen this method, and how do you know when its damaged enough.

I have used tactom and JDAM... over 5 jdam per runway and they are still taking off, all the access points are on fire(hit by tactoms)?

Is it better to just go after the aircraft bunkers, or av gas? Does hitting fuel tanks cause secondary explosions?

Does taking out the control tower effect launching or landing?

.... also how does one re target a tactom? I cannot find this in the manual?

Are cluster munitions more effective than unitary?

There is a section of the manual that covers destroying airbases.

In short you can jam them up by destroying runways, taxiways and access points.
You can kill the aircraft on them by targeting aircraft holding facilities (hangars, open parking, tarmac, hardened shelters).
You can also stop operations by destroying munitions bunkers.

We're on hold for fuel stuff for now because fuel logistics would be a handful for players to manage without a better implementation and we really don't want 5 million posts.

Hitting avgas tanks and munitions dumps doesn't cause additional damage yet. Will add an item as we could so something similar to mag explosions.

Hitting the tower doesn't do anything. Given its priority we'll address probably in 2020.

Thanks!

Mike

Post #: 6
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 2/14/2014 12:22:40 AM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yokes

These are great questions and I look forward to hearing more discussion on this.

I have a related question on using cluster munitions on open parking spaces. I have a scenario (Indian Ocean Brawl) where I have a bunch of aircraft parked in tightly-packed open tarmac parking spaces. An aircraft drops some cluster munitions over one of these spaces and when the munition "breaks open" it usually registers as a hit against the targeted parking space and kills the aircraft parked there. Then, you can see the bomblets spreading out and impacting neighboring parking spaces. However, it seems that these bomblets can damage the parking spaces without damaging the aircraft parked there.

I was expecting the bomblets to destroy lots of neighboring aircraft in addition to the specific space that was targeted.

Yokes

Definitely an issue I think. Logged to be looked at.

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to Yokes)
Post #: 7
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 2/14/2014 5:19:34 AM   
dillonkbase

Dumb followup,
On the ammo bunkers, I assume destroying those only halts reloading, not the launch of already "ready" aircraft?

Also their are several ammo related structures, ie ammo pad, ammo shelter, and the ammo bunker, do these perform different tasks in the model, does destroying the pads and shelters halt reloading?

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 8
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 2/14/2014 7:17:23 AM   
Russian Heel

quote:

ORIGINAL: dillonkbase

Also their are several ammo related structures, ie ammo pad, ammo shelter, and the ammo bunker, do these perform different tasks in the model, does destroying the pads and shelters halt reloading?

These are all 'magazines' with the same basic functionality, but obviously different damage thresholds. They don't have any effect on each other, unless the builder of the airbase put all AIM-9s in an ammo pad and that ammo pad is destroyed which now makes for incomplete load-outs on all a/c carrying AIM-9s, making them useless.

In other words - when building airbases make sure to spread ordinance around or one side could achieve air superiority by destroying a single ammo pad.

Post #: 9
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 8/30/2014 5:14:38 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yokes

Emsoy,

Just start the scenario and about 35 min in you will see it.

Yokes

Tried to do this but did not see any aircraft dropping cluster munitions anywhere. Please provide a before-the-fact save or we cannot investigate this.

Thanks!

(in reply to Yokes)
Post #: 10
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 9/1/2014 10:42:21 AM   
Dimitris

bump

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 11
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 9/2/2014 4:52:26 PM   
Dimitris

Closing as no feedback.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 12
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 9/2/2014 5:34:28 PM   
Luidzi

I've simulated cluster bomb attack against a group of aircrafts parked in the open area - build v.562, DB v.417. When the cluster bomb hits, all targets in the area (cca 400x200m for CBU-103, 370x150m for CBU-105) suffers from bomblet damage (yellow star flashes and they take 0,4 (CBU-103) or 0,1 (CBU-105) damage points).

The interesting part is in the OPFOR combat log. It appears that the simulator decides if the tarmac space has been lightly, moderately, or heavily damaged. In this case, 3 (light damage), 4 (medium), or 5 (heavy) aircrafts out of 8 are destroyed. If the tarmac space is decided as not damaged, no aircraft will be destroyed even if the tarmac space itself is hit and damaged by bomblets.

The additional damage is either decided separately and not added to the total damage of parking space, or it's too low to display. I've not found any logic by which the simulator decides the additional damage, it appears to be completely random.
I've attached scenario mentioned above.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 13
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 9/2/2014 6:09:50 PM   
Dimitris

Thanks, re-opening.

(in reply to Luidzi)
Post #: 14
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 10/22/2014 1:57:59 PM   
cz6hp4

Did this question get resolved? NATO have specific ammunition/procedures for taking out runways either totally or bad enough so when they take them over they are relatively quick to repair for own use.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 15
RE: OBD, airfield mission kill - 10/22/2014 5:19:13 PM   
Veracity

I target 2 or 3 BLU-109 JDAMS into the runways or access points and they're vaporized. AGM-154C JSOW will do the job as well. Those broach warheads really pack a punch! Just ensure you have stand off/follow on jamming and SEAD support if there are still active SAMS or point defenses around the Air base you're attacking.

Cheers

(in reply to cz6hp4)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> OBD, airfield mission kill Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI