Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

If the Raiders Build Them They Will Come

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> If the Raiders Build Them They Will Come Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
If the Raiders Build Them They Will Come - 5/3/2000 8:58:00 PM   
David Heath

Wild Bill and the Raiders have been busting butt to get you a hot list of scenarios for the release of SPWAW. So make sure to spend time with your Wife, Kids, or Girlfriend this weekend because its going to be sometime before you may seem them again . If this list isn't enough, more scenarios will be available on The Gamers Net during SPWAW Week Starting May 8th. To check out the list of scenarios being prepared go to http://www.matrixgames.com/spwaw/scenariosinspwaw.pdf

Post #: 1
- 5/4/2000 1:59:00 AM   
O de B

Speaking of scenarii, will "old" scenarii for SPWW2 be loadable directly in SPWaW, or need any kind of converting, or will have to be redone from scratch ? Thanks

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
- 5/4/2000 2:07:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Remember O de B... This is a new game, and that means a completely new game. Nothing from other versions of SP will fit here. Almost everything is new. That includes new routines, new sounds, new graphics, new map terrain (wait till you see these buildings by Nick Papp!), new AI routines. So, no, you won't. BUT, at least the Raider scenarios (which are the preponderance of scenarios offered for SPWW2) will all be converted, little by little. And there is so much new stuff in battles and campaigns...well, just get ready for NEW. Think NEW and you'll be fine! This is the first SP game, by the way, that its hard to find cheats. You got to fight the old fashioned, military strategy way. Trucks won't serve as cannon fodder, bunkers require a lot of effort, Tigers don't die easily,....and on and on I could go... You'll see Wild Bill ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 3
- 5/4/2000 3:22:00 AM   
Drake666

This is the first SP game, by the way, that its hard to find cheats. You got to fight the old fashioned, military strategy way. Trucks won't serve as cannon fodder, bunkers require a lot of effort, Tigers don't die easily,....and on and on I could go... A few questions about this. Did you guys find a away to put a stop to reloading or editing of a PBEM game in this, Becouse one of the main reasons I stoped playing SP1 & 2 was becouse of people doing this. About Trucks won't serve as cannon fodder. Did you find a way to stop this in the game or something? About Tigers, Do they get a lot of exp and morale now or something. I aways found it bad that they were destroyed so easy in the game, when in WW2 only the best crews got them and they would take on a large number of tanks and win.

Post #: 4
- 5/4/2000 3:36:00 AM   
Seth

You mention one reason why I've never bothered to do a PBEM game. I figured that people would just keep trying their turns until they slaughtered me. Is there a way to tell if someone's done this? On a semi-related topic, I was disappointed with SP1's hot-seat play. Unless my friends and I were too dense to figure out how, there seemed to be no way to see what had happened, other than noticing that that tank of yours wasn't on fire before, or you thought there used to be more men in that squad, etc. Is there a good way to watch your enemy's turn in SPWaW?

Post #: 5
- 5/4/2000 5:22:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The pbem security is a compromise between playability and security. IF you make it too hard, then an honest mistake can make it impossible to continue an exciting scenario. The way the security works, you have to reload all the turns (both yours and your opponents)to get back to where you were. So if you have a crash or make a mistake it can be recovered, but after the first handful of turns, the time it takes to reload everything makes it a while to replay a turn. And in the end game, especially after 25 or 30 turns it takes long enough to be a major time sink. Also the .dat file is encrytped so you can't "peek" at the .dat file, or load it as a scen and edit it. This also makes secure pbem file 1-2MB in size... IF you want a "friendly game" with no security you can do that to and keep a <100kb compressed file. So the only real way to cheat comes at an increasing time penalty as a game goes on. Now the online version will preclude replaying of turns by the nature of its real time connection so for "ultimate" competition that will be the way to go! [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited 05-03-2000).]

Post #: 6
- 5/4/2000 5:50:00 AM   
Drake666

About internet play are you guys going to see about placeing this game on mplayer or some other free service, so that people can meet up and play online. Was wondering about this becouse I was thinking you would not be allowed to do this or something. If you are you should see about placeing it on mplayer, Im sure they would jump at the chance to host it.

Post #: 7
- 5/4/2000 5:50:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I can't say how Michael handled the trucks. The AI moves them close to the battle, they unload and leave the map. Armor modeling has been quite realistic by Paul, Fionn and others. Now you are facing the real thing!...WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 8
- 5/4/2000 9:16:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

We are still wrestling a bit with internet play, so it will be offered up later. It will be stand alone - no mPlayer. Just give your opponenet the TCP/IP address and start a game as server and they join the game. It will be limited to 2 players though.

Post #: 9
- 5/5/2000 10:53:00 AM   
Frank Donati

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: About internet play are you guys going to see about placeing this game on mplayer or some other free service, so that people can meet up and play online.
As Paul has stated we're still wrestling with the 'net play but not to leave gamers without opponents, Matrix does have an Opponent Finder section right here on our site for folks to find opponents to play against or with. I've included the link below so you can check it out. It's quiet right now but once our games become released, I think it will become a great place to find others. Opponent Finder Page Frank [This message has been edited by Frank Donati (edited 05-04-2000).]

Frank Donati

Post #: 10
- 5/9/2000 4:13:00 AM   
sami heimola

Hello Bill! It's sad that it will be impossible to load SP3's maps into this SPWAW but I hope that more maps will be available in Marauders Mapcase soon, right? Sami
quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Remember O de B... This is a new game, and that means a completely new game. Nothing from other versions of SP will fit here. Almost everything is new. That includes new routines, new sounds, new graphics, new map terrain (wait till you see these buildings by Nick Papp!), new AI routines. So, no, you won't. BUT, at least the Raider scenarios (which are the preponderance of scenarios offered for SPWW2) will all be converted, little by little. And there is so much new stuff in battles and campaigns...well, just get ready for NEW. Think NEW and you'll be fine! This is the first SP game, by the way, that its hard to find cheats. You got to fight the old fashioned, military strategy way. Trucks won't serve as cannon fodder, bunkers require a lot of effort, Tigers don't die easily,....and on and on I could go... You'll see Wild Bill

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> If the Raiders Build Them They Will Come Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI