Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

JSOW, MALD and HARMs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> JSOW, MALD and HARMs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
JSOW, MALD and HARMs - 10/24/2014 3:47:20 PM   
hellfish6

A sales pitch, but maybe it'll give someone some ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pu_PKpEhqU

Post #: 1
RE: JSOW, MALD and HARMs - 10/24/2014 4:31:05 PM   
magi

Cool......

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 2
RE: JSOW, MALD and HARMs - 10/24/2014 5:38:21 PM   
Dutchie999

Personally I am not a fan of the AGM-88 HARM. I find the AGM-84H/K SLAM-ER much better for SEAD. It has double the range, which means you can fire from beyond the range of 99% of the SAM missiles out there. And targeting can be easily done from AWACS, ELINT or the radar warning receiver on the aircraft you are firing from. For a fast and accurate firing position of the SAM you can also try to triangulate the signal by flying your aircraft very wide. The most important advantage I find is that the SLAM-ER drops down to 60ft AGL (it is of course based on the sea-skimming Harpoon missile) and is therefore impossible to see for enemy SAM until the very last moment when it is too late. The harpoon just drops down in a linear line towards the emitting radar and stays high in the air too long. So enemy SAM can easily shoot it down. The only advantage I can see for the HARM missile is that for example a F/A-18 can carry 4 of them and only 2 SLAM-ER and since the SLAM-ER doesn't look for the emitting radar of a SAM Bn but has a IR seeker it can also hit a TEL and not the search and/or engagement radar. Leaving the SAM (if it has multiple TEL) still capable to shoot down your aircraft.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 3
RE: JSOW, MALD and HARMs - 10/24/2014 5:40:55 PM   
VFA41_Lion

HARMs cost half the price of a SLAM-ER, if buying the latest and greatest version of it. An 88C costs only around $300,000 while a SLAM-ER will set you back two million dollars. HARMs are just way more cheaper.

(in reply to Dutchie999)
Post #: 4
RE: JSOW, MALD and HARMs - 10/24/2014 6:35:55 PM   
CapnDarwin

harm has a couple more advantages to consider.
1). Missiles hitting other small missiles is very hard to do without very sophisticated hardware and software.
2). A harm seen by radar operators generally forces a radar shutdown. That's as good as a kill since it can't shoot at you. The Slammer being in the weeds is hard to see so radars aren't clicking off for it.
3). Speed. HARM is 1420mph vs 530 for the Slammer. I can get a Harm on target 3 times faster if a threat pops up in range.

It still does a good job.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to VFA41_Lion)
Post #: 5
RE: JSOW, MALD and HARMs - 10/24/2014 8:58:51 PM   
scottb613

Can a HARM hit a missle ? I always thought they were strictly for taking out radars ?

Regards,
Scott

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 6
RE: JSOW, MALD and HARMs - 10/24/2014 10:06:30 PM   
ExNusquam

quote:

ORIGINAL: scottb613

Can a HARM hit a missle ? I always thought they were strictly for taking out radars ?

Regards,
Scott

Darwin is referring to missiles engaging the HARM in point #1 above.

However, a HARM has hit the tail radar of a B-52. It could probably hit an ARH missile given the correct engagement geometry, but I can't fathom that would be.

(in reply to scottb613)
Post #: 7
RE: JSOW, MALD and HARMs - 10/24/2014 11:26:42 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

2). A harm seen by radar operators generally forces a radar shutdown. That's as good as a kill since it can't shoot at you. The Slammer being in the weeds is hard to see so radars aren't clicking off for it.

True up until the point that they could be engaged with higher end Russian systems. Many SHORAD systems are now assigned with protecting the long ranged one from attack.

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 10/25/2014 12:27:00 AM >

(in reply to ExNusquam)
Post #: 8
RE: JSOW, MALD and HARMs - 10/24/2014 11:37:10 PM   
CapnDarwin

Mike,

Very true these days. SLAM-ER is another sub-sonic cruise missile. That speed makes it more vulnerable to interception and also allows for a longer engagement window compared to a HARM.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 9
RE: JSOW, MALD and HARMs - 10/25/2014 4:55:51 AM   
Agiel

As has been the case for every other mode of warfare, the success of SEAD/DEAD operations are contingent on how the disparate tactics and technologies come together. Simply employing only one part of the whole likely isn't going to get you the desired result.

For instance, when dealing with a target defended by a top-tier SAM like the SA-21 I fire JASSMs or JSOWs along with MALD-Js so that the actual missiles get lost amongst the decoys, which makes the life of the SAM operators hell. On a different attack axis I have SEAD shooters and jammers observing strict EMCON flying below the radar horizon, only to have them ascend to attack altitude at a distance at which the SAM has little to no time to react.

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> JSOW, MALD and HARMs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI