Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on dive bombers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question on dive bombers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on dive bombers - 12/9/2014 4:18:25 PM   
Lecivius

This one has bugged me a bit. On all dive bombers the main weapon hard point has a device to 'swing' the bomb clear of the propeller. That makes sense, it is a 'Dive Bomber' after all. However, every report I see or video I watch describes the aircraft diving to a lower altitude before pulling out of the dive and releasing the bomb. I have seen a few videos of such aircraft releasing bombs from wing hard points in a dive, but never the main payload. I can understand this as well, not sure I would want a half ton of high explosive falling into the propeller by accident. So I am not sure which vector is used.

Any thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Question on dive bombers - 12/9/2014 6:25:19 PM   
Dili

I am not sure i understand what are you trying to say, there are many videos of dive bombers releasing the main bomb.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on dive bombers - 12/9/2014 6:40:09 PM   
Lecivius

True, but in every one releasing the main bomb it is as the bomber is pulling up. There are a few Stuka vids that show a block of 4 falling while in a dive, but no single weapon. I have seen some SBD vids where there are 2 100lb dropped from wing hard points. And I am clueless (no surprise there)on how Helldivers delivered their loads. Or I just have not seen every vid out there.

So I guess straight out, using their primary load do they bomb from a steep incline, or as they pull out?

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on dive bombers - 12/9/2014 6:43:44 PM   
LoBaron

The centerline payload gets released before the pullout. If the pilot pulls out before pulling the trigger he misses the target. Not saying it didn´t happen as proper divebombing takes a lot of nerves, skill, and timing.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on dive bombers - 12/9/2014 6:51:07 PM   
LoBaron

Checkout this vid:

How to Dive Bomb in World War 2 Aircraft

It explains the theory pretty well. Besides all other aspects it is clear on all instances that a release in dive is required for proper aiming. Also what might cause the impression of a late release and the physics of the dive and it´s effect.

Very educative.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on dive bombers - 12/9/2014 7:10:57 PM   
Lecivius

Cool, thanks man!

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 6
RE: Question on dive bombers - 12/9/2014 7:45:32 PM   
Dili

quote:

True, but in every one releasing the main bomb it is as the bomber is pulling up.

If that was true then the bomb will make a parabolic trajectory defeating any dive bombing propose.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 7
RE: Question on dive bombers - 12/9/2014 8:25:21 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

quote:

True, but in every one releasing the main bomb it is as the bomber is pulling up.

If that was true then the bomb will make a parabolic trajectory defeating any dive bombing propose.

That is what I was thinking. I was trying to work out in my mind (mental exercise) how to improve training for US navy pilots. Then I watched some simplex vids, and it just didn't look right to me.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 8
RE: Question on dive bombers - 12/10/2014 6:56:37 AM   
wdolson

The A-36 carried its main load on wing hard points, but most dive bombers carried their main load along the center point. The Helldiver had the same trapeze to drop the load inside the bomb bay. For two smaller bombs a double trapeze could be installed.

US SBDs and I think SB2Cs had an auto pull out feature. When the pilot released the bomb load, the plane automatically starts pulling out of the dive. This helped pilots recover from a dive and probably saved a few lives if pilots passed out for a second or two.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question on dive bombers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI