Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WC 03 TheOverlord vs Dodger

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> WC 03 TheOverlord vs Dodger Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WC 03 TheOverlord vs Dodger - 3/13/2003 12:08:02 PM   
TheOverlord

A pleasant July '42 day in the dessert......

US (me) vs Germany (Dodger), 8400 pts, the usual settings...

US opens with smoke, Germany opens with shells (even gets a couple of casualties) and the Luftwafe makes an appearance while the Yanks are still tieing up their boot laces and wacks an HT.....

US forces dash forward, claim all the VH's, drop more smoke and wait.....

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer. "
-Major Holdridge
Post #: 1
- 3/13/2003 5:24:58 PM   
dodger

Looks like the good ole, pop an' sit from where I'm standing. But also a large number of tanks and AT vehicles are making their way to the rear of the hills controlling the VHs, so I may have to be ware of a surprice attack, and AT sniping at the very least.

Germany launches two flanking attacks along the edges of the combat zone. We'll see if those lead to anything.

German bikers blaze away at some light AT guns and scouts along their paths, killing them. Retaliation to follow.

-Jani

ALL YOUR FLAGS ARE BELONG TO US!

(in reply to TheOverlord)
Post #: 2
- 3/14/2003 8:11:56 AM   
TheOverlord

Dodger has sent a swarm of mtcys to harrass me, and they do.
US forces work on swatting the swarm and inflict casualties on most of the maybe 20 mtcy squads floating around.

Recon units spot Stugs, PzIV, HT's and SPTD's. And of course some 88's and infantry.

I dont have much in the way of good cover. Cant even count on dust form moving vehicles as we dont seem to be kicing up any...:rolleyes:

US forces reclaim the couple of VH's GE mtcy squads.

I think someone screwed up at the ammo depot and issued my boys blanks. For all the shooting I did, there wasnt much to show for it... :(

-Major Holdridge

Post #: 3
- 3/14/2003 10:05:44 PM   
dodger

Unfortunate losses among the german scout troops, but the information was invaluable. Safe places to fire at the opponent were found, as were (relatively) safe lines of advance. Central and northern VHs are in german hands, while several 50cal jeeps, Stuarts and HTs burn. 150mm cannon does ugly things to a Sherman as well when it hits.

Halftracks pour out infantry that immobilizes two Stuarts.

Clouds of smoke go up in front of the german lines to obscure returning fire and hide infantry. But a green crew in one of the Stugs forgot how to pop smoke and is now staring down the mouth of a 90mm AA cannon. The cannon can get off the first shot, but if it misses, it will get a 150mm easter egg in return. -- Enter Clint Eastwood's spaghetti wester music here :)

-Jani

Post #: 4
- 3/16/2003 3:00:40 AM   
TheOverlord

US forces will have their hands full.:(

A stug monster dies and another little stug is damaged. :D
4 mtcy squads, a car and 2 armored cars die as well.

US and GE forces mixing it up in the smoke.....
I manage to take back a couple of vh flags but that wont last.

-Major Holdridge

Post #: 5
- 3/16/2003 4:58:09 AM   
dodger

There's a crash that can be heard all the way across the mediterranean as the two armored spearheads collide in the center. Smoke obscure visibility to almost nothing, so my flametank is let loose. Combined assault with some bikers leaves two shermans burning. Everywhere we are exchanging fire, with losses on both sides.

My main concern are those 90mils, as they are the only thing that I really fear. One dies, two others are reduced to few crewmen by suicidal assaults.

My flanking maneuvers have stopped, seems like a status quo around the edges, with the battle heating up elsewhere. Southern flags are not going to be easy pickings, I see atleast a dozen vehicles there.

-Jani

Post #: 6
- 3/17/2003 7:35:20 PM   
TheOverlord

US forces having a tough time with the thicker ge armor. Things dont look good for them..

I still dont understand why Jess likes these M4 things....:rolleyes:

We do manage to take out a stug, td, at gun, couple of mtcy and a few scout cars. Casualties inflited here and there.

-Major Holdridge

Post #: 7
- 3/17/2003 11:46:41 PM   
dodger

Casualties on both sides.. looks like a front consisting of smoke covered strongpoints is forming around each VH cluster. Large amounts of Shermans are making their way to the front. I'm sensing a T34 effect coming on :)

Germany holds 2 clusters of VHs, while US holds the south cluster. Heavy artillery barrages falling on it's defenders, while enemy artillery is effective, but scattered throughout the whole front.

-Jani

Post #: 8
Tough one - 3/21/2003 8:23:15 AM   
TheOverlord

I wish I had T-34's:rolleyes:

US forces push back against the german wave.

2 trucks, 2 armored cars, 2 AT ht's, 5 regular ht's, 2 mtcy, 1 stug and 1 tank destroyer dusted. Casulaties inflicted everywhere.

Gonna go for more of his armor next round. Sort of a hard thing to do with M4's and stuarts......but there are ways!

A 150 mm stug monster was damaged by a couple of shermans taking side shots. Damaged the suspension. Not sure if it is immobilized though - dropped smoke infront of it just incase it has become a paper weight instead of a fighting vehicle.

US forces take back some of the middle vh's, so we are now split on owner ship.

-Major Holdridge

Post #: 9
- 3/22/2003 11:32:03 PM   
dodger

Auch :(

The yanks pull a forceful counterattack in the north and a medium one in the south. My forces were beaten back with losses, but the second echelon raised the stakes and left a bunch of armor burning in the north. Atleast 2 Shermans and 4 HTs, with some supporting infantry. Center was not so rich with targets, since my enemy I just massing for his counterattack.

I didn't dare to move my troops too much because then they'd be unable to hit/fight off the central counterattack spotted by my heroic special ops squad. May they rest in pieces.

Along the southern front, things are quiet. Some artillery still falling on enemy positions and fire exchanged by my StuGs and 88s against the Shermans. One of them survives by sheer luck, but another dies as a hail of 75mm shells rip it apart. Motorcycle troops go in to grab some flags and do some suicide recon. May they rest in peace too :)

Overall, it looks like both of us upping the ante on each other, slapping back the opponents counterattacks with fresh masses from the rear. It looks like a steady grind. But it cannot go on forever, in the end a victor must emerge.

I think I prefer games with perturn VHs to the regular ones, lots of action :)

-Jani

Post #: 10
I want my Katz! - 3/23/2003 4:00:37 AM   
TheOverlord

This is ugly.

Incredibly poor shooting on the Americans part and awesome shooting on the German op fire part has made this the worst turn yet.

Kills amounted to a few mtcy, a PZ 1, PZ 2, adn a prime mover.

Lost 2 or 3 shermans, some ht's...probably more.

German forces are breaking through in the north and control the North VH.

US forces now fully control the center and southern vh's but I dont think that is going to last. Better shooting this round would of helped...:rolleyes:

Reinforcements have arived so lets see if they can turn it around or just give Dodger more to shoot at....;)

-Major Holdridge

Post #: 11
- 3/23/2003 5:08:09 AM   
dodger

My opponent seems to be launching a propaganda assault. While last turn was good (my opfire worked lot better than one would expect normally), there are still hordes of enemy tanks abroad and any kind of breakthrough attempt would be doomed to failure due sideshots.

Thus, I resume my slow assault on the southerns VHs with a mostly infantry force and continue to decimate enemy tankage in center and north. Around half dozen tanks die this turn too. Reinforcements or not, this cannot continue for long.

-Jani

Post #: 12
- 3/24/2003 4:38:41 AM   
TheOverlord

I am being gradually ground down.

Even my Engineer reinforcements are no good.

ANother round of poor shooting.
Did manage to kill a flame tank and I think a td.

One of the stug monsters is hopefully going to bail. 3 shells penetrated but to kill. Thats my luck:rolleyes:

I do manage to hold on to the vh's. Still cant believe that one.

-Major Holdridge

Post #: 13
- 3/24/2003 7:59:34 AM   
dodger

Few more Shermans bite the dust as my forces begin breakthrough attacks in the north and south. Both seem to be going fine and flanking is only a matter of time.
Luftwaffe shows it's claws in the south and takes out a Sherman. The other Sherman is besieged by infantry.

My only problem is that the center is buckling under a huge offensive, most enemy reserves and reinforcements are going there. I have no way to stop them. I can only hope that my rear area guns can hold them for long enough to get more guns onsite.

-Jani

Post #: 14
- 3/24/2003 7:09:53 PM   
TheOverlord

GE froces breaking through in the north.
Just crewmen to stop them.:(

GE froces breaking through int he south.
Just crewmen to stop them.:(

US forces fighting hard in the center.
Just a matter of time before the GE forces breaking through flank the last real pocket of US tanks and infantry.

Writing is on the wall.:(

We surrender. :mad: :mad:

No way we would of lasted another 14 turns before the game was over, and all vh's would be in GE hands within the next 2-3 turns max.:(

Good game dodger - good luck in the tournament!:D

-Major Holdridge

Post #: 15
- 3/25/2003 5:43:54 AM   
dodger

Waah!! and I just ordered reinforcements :(

There were Shermans still left in both north and south, one even scored a kill. They were overrun though just to give some payback for spoiling the day for my AUX troops :)

Map looks pretty thin on my center, but with reinforcements and AA/AT guns scattered around, it might've held for a while. Flanks are a different matter, enemy was down to static defenses. 2 depleted 90mm guns and a bunch of AA guns to slow me down.

Final score 18.7k / 6.7k.

Final evaluation: US in the desert was hopelessly outgunned against a carefully picked mobile german force. A good try was still made, but only a big mistake on my part could've stolen the win, as grand strategic moves are hard to do unnoticed in the desert (the attack on the center was such a move, luckily it came too late), kudos for that.

-Jani

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> WC 03 TheOverlord vs Dodger Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI