Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1943 - 1945 Alternative VP Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Scenario Design and Modding >> 1943 - 1945 Alternative VP Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1943 - 1945 Alternative VP Campaign - 3/21/2015 4:18:44 AM   
NotOneStepBack

I have the game finally set for a scenario. I would appreciate if anyone would take a dive in a player v player game in order to help continue figure out the balance. I have used Red Lancer's excel sheet for the initial values, and it is close enough as it is going to be for the time being.

Some notes if you do choose to play it:

1. The cities vps are set, but they aren't set in stone. I think it will currently make for a good game though. Remember that if you think Essen should be a VP site over Cologne, it's not really that big of a difference directionally as they are in the same region, which is what I think matters overall. I set a draw around VPs given real Allied advance on these sites, so I hope it is somewhat OK for game.

2. There are no bombing VPs so you will have to adjust your strategy accordingly. However, there are VPs for inflicting losses on both sides. There are no negative VPs.

3. Game ends on first turn of May '45. Take Berlin and you will have at least a major allied victory. If you take Berlin early you will get HUGE Berlin turn VPs.

4. Italians on the islands are no longer frozen.

Good luck. It is beta 1 and a work in progress. More updates to come most likely.

Put this file in your "scen" folder to run.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by NotOneStepBack -- 3/24/2015 12:28:52 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: 1943 - 1945 Alternative VP Campaign - 3/21/2015 4:21:07 AM   
NotOneStepBack

VPs at start for the first test of this scenario

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by NotOneStepBack -- 3/22/2015 3:35:49 AM >

(in reply to NotOneStepBack)
Post #: 2
RE: 1943 - 1945 Alternative VP Campaign - 3/21/2015 4:23:52 AM   
NotOneStepBack

Updated with new values on 3/21. Bumped casualty modifier to 1.75. Tests continue.

< Message edited by NotOneStepBack -- 3/21/2015 9:54:38 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: 1943 - 1945 Alternative VP Campaign - 3/22/2015 7:40:01 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Hello friends,

Here are the results of the AI vs. AI test. I believe the scenario is close to being balanced and would be a good game. In the below picture of the AI vs. AI, the result was an Axis Minor Victory, the VP ratio is 1.1 to 1 for Axis. This is almost a draw. It would've been 1 to 1 for a draw if the Allied AI took a few more cities, the reason being it did not capture Lyon or Marseille for some reason (or Naples, wtf??), altogether ignoring southern France. If they would have had this, the end result would've been a draw, which is what I was going for. The Allied AI also did not have Amsterdam which gave Axis a few more end game points. The Allied AI was winning until the last turn due to inflicted casualties, and Axis had held certain major cities for enough time to seal a minor victory with the end game points. I think given that the Axis held S. France, N. Italy, and Berlin with S. Germany, a minor victory is about right!

To put this in perspective, with 2000 less VPs on Axis, they would've had a draw. The Allies could've simply had taken Amsterdam for a draw. If the Allies had held all of France and Naples, they would've had a minor victory. If they had pushed into Germany farther along with those, it would've been a major victory.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: 1943 - 1945 Alternative VP Campaign - 3/23/2015 2:28:58 PM   
marion61

I looked thru the Axis starting forces and this is my list of suggestions:

1. Move the units off the channel islands. No one wants them and the first thing I do is move them off there asap.

2. 14th Panzer should start unfrozen, it withdraws anyhow and can be used to repel any invasions coming into Southern France in 43.

3. 10th SS PzGrn should start unfrozen, it withdraws anyhow and can be used to repel any invasions coming into Southern France in 43.

4. 157th Mtn near Lyon, should start unfrozen, it can be used to repel any invasions coming into Southern France in 43.

5. 24th Panzer should start unfrozen, it can be used to repel any invasions coming into Southern France in 43.

6. Unfreeze all Italian units below Genoa, even on the islands, but units that are static should stay static.

I was mulling over the AP situation since the Axis don't need as many AP's now, but 5 a turn still seems fine.

7. All the units that are static on the Atlantic Wall should not be static when they are released. I can mobilize most of the Atlantic Wall by Jan 44, so the axis shouldn't have to spend AP to mobilize them also. From Feb. to May 44 you won't have enough time or AP to fix the Atlantic Wall before being invaded.

From a defensive stand point, if the Allies invade Southern France in 43, the axis will not have enough units to properly defend it and since most of the frozen units are on the coast, they wouldn't activate till way too late. Just some minor suggestions, nothing major.

< Message edited by meklore61 -- 3/23/2015 3:30:35 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: 1943 - 1945 Alternative VP Campaign - 3/23/2015 2:41:23 PM   
NotOneStepBack

I like the suggestions and probably will make a few of these. I'm also thinking of unfreezing and just having the germany have a little less AP per turn.

< Message edited by NotOneStepBack -- 3/23/2015 11:33:54 PM >

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 6
RE: 1943 - 1945 Alternative VP Campaign - 3/23/2015 11:17:22 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Ok I have reuploaded it above and there is no frozen atlantic wall anymore, but Germans get 3 AP points a turn. The islands also have all unfrozen Italians now. There is no more house rule on invasions.

< Message edited by NotOneStepBack -- 3/24/2015 12:22:35 AM >

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Scenario Design and Modding >> 1943 - 1945 Alternative VP Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI