Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My first AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> My first AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My first AAR - 4/9/2001 9:11:00 AM   
Alexandra

Hi all. Having read a few AARs here, and liking them, I've decided to try my hand at them myself. So here's my first: AAR: No Easy Place. Location: Peterhof, Russia Date: 5 March 1942. Notes: This was played as the Soviets with all options on. Mission: The task force mission is to overrun a strongpoint, held by elements of the 113th German Infantry Regiment. The forces assigned to the mission are one Infantry battalion, supported by a mortar platoon, a stike section of aircraft, a single artillery battery, and 14 AFVs. Partisians may also arrive to support operations against the fascists. The assault plan is simple. Each of the three rifle companies will make a frontal assault, while the armor masses, and then the tanks will move to support whichever company is making the best progress. German strong points will be blinded with smoke and bypassed, to be destroyed later. The German positions are softened by a preliminary bombardment. Turn One: 1 Company was assigned to capture the southern crossroad as it's first task. 2 Company was to drive to the enemy's mortars on a hill to the rear, while 3 Company was to take the northern crossroads. The armor began to assemble, with the exception of two KV's to the south that were assigned to support 1 Company. Artillery continued to lay down suppressive fire on the crossroads and the hill. No forces made contact. Turn Two: 1 Company took casualties from mines, as did 3 Company. The armor was formed, waiting for the orders to advance, as the FO and Btn HQ directed supporting fires. Turn Three: 2 Company killed a fascist sniper who shot at a tank. 1 Company closed on the southern crossroad. 2 Company was engaged by an enemy pillobx, and called for smoke as armor moved up to supress the emplacement. Turn Four: The Germans shot down a PE-2, and mortar fire began to land near 2 Companny. However, the Germans seemed to still be disorganized. 1 Company made contact with German infantry and began to drive it back, although one of it's supporting KVs got stuck in wet ground. 3 Company continued to make a silent advance. 2 Company, though, was stalled by the enemy emplacements it had discovered, now three in number. Turn Five: Enemy mortar fire shifted to 1 Company, as our smoke rounds fell around an emplacement. 1 Company took it's crossroads and it kept pushing the defenders back. 3 Company also made contact to the north. 2 Company - supported by the armor - attacked, taking casualties. A BA-20 was also knocked out. Turn Six: 1 Company continued taking mortar fire, as German Panzergrenadier reserves arrive in thier area. Both partisan platoons have arrived and are working to assist in destroying the enemy position. 1 Company keeps pushing the enemy back as a KV engages the lead halftrack. The enemy fortifications, however, take a toll on our armor, knocking out the second scout car and a T-60 tank. 2 Company is pinned down, as more smoke is called for, from all the mortars, as well as the heavy artillery. 3 Company advances steadily, overrunning a German position and taking prisoners, north of the north crossroads. The partisians close on the main hill position of the Germans from north and south. Turn Seven: The enemy's mortars switch to 2 Company's area now, and another T-60 is lost as the Germans prepare to counterattack 1 Company. 1 Company finishes off the last of the original platoon it engaged, and deploys to meet the enemy counterattack. Two more T-60s are killed, as the last T-60 kills an enemy halftrack. 2 Company stands fast, waiting for the smoke. 3 Company continues to advance, killing an enemy sniper. The partisans on the south side of the hill reach it's crest and engage a German flak battery, as well as the enemy HQ. Turn Eight: The southern partisan command is locked in heavy fighting, as the Germans pull vehicles back to attack them. 1 Company knocks out a Mk IV and a T-34 kills a Stug that attempted to flank 1 Company. 2 Companies advance is still stymied, but 3 Company takes the north crossroads. The German HQ is destroyed by the partisans south group. Turn Nine: 3 Company is now taking mortar fire, and the enemy destroys most of south partisan group, retaking the southern part of the hill. 1 Company destroys 2 squads and a truck as it fends off the first surge of the German counter attack. 2 Company surges forward again, as 3 Company pushes west, past the crossroads, to engage more Germans. The partisan attacks have been stopped for the most part, only 20 or so of them were left, between thier two groups. Turn Ten: The Germans continue to attack 1 Company, losing a scout car in the process and making no forward progress. 1 Company keeps pushing them back, killing another Stug in a close assault, as they drive German infantry backwards. 2 Company keeps surging forward, as 3 Company realigns to continue it's assault. Turn 11: The Germans counterattack continues in 1 Compaies area, again making no progress while 3 Company destoys an enemy halftrack as the enemy tries to counter attack there as well. 1 Company presses forward with losses climbing, and forces the Germans back further. 2 Company continues to take losses, but reaches the enemy fortifications and begins trying to destroy them. 3 Company mostly sorts itself out after the mortar attacks, but destoys an enemy MG team. The southern partisans - the 5 that are left - destroy a scout car. Turn 12: The Germans hit 2 and 3 Companies with mortar fire, and keep agressively counterattacking, though their attacks get nowhere. 1 Company pauses to reorganzine as the KV supporting it takes out a MG team. All that's left we think, of the counter attack force, is a single squad. Our tanks kill an enemy halftrack, and continue to engage in a duel with a pair of PzJg's. 2 Company keeps moving, more of it's soldiers now engaging pillboxes. 3 Company slowly advances, driving the Germans back before it as well. The south partisans retake the southern end of the hill, as the north partisans - 15 of them - move to flank the German mortar pits. Turn 13: The enemy destoys the south partisans as well as the KV with 1 Company, while we KO both PzJg's. Yet, the advance continues, regardless of losses. 1 Company destroys the squad that killed the KV as well as a rifle pit, allowing two of it's platoons to freely advance towards the hill. 2 Company moves towards the hill as well, as it moves through the enemy bunker line. 3 Comapny also advances, destroying two more enemy squads. The partisans overrun an enemt mortar pit. Turn 14: 1 and 3 Companies, and the partisans advance, in the face of limited resitience. Turn 15: The partisans are couterattacked and take heavy losses. Our tanks knock out a rifle pit. Final results: Draw. 3851 for me, 2785 for Germany. Losses: Soviet: 255 men, 7 AFVs, 1 Aircraft. Only 1 AFV was a major one serious tank, a KV. Most of the AFV losses were T-60s.. German: 214 men, 6 AFV, 4 APC, 6 Artillery. Overall, I think I did well. My smoke was very ineffective, which allowed the Germans to pin 2 Company for way too long, but I smashed both thier counter attacks, leaving them with, at the end, a reinforced platoon and 2 flak guns to stop about 1 and a half to 2 companies of infantry, and a half dozen T-34s and KVs. I didn't use my partisans that well, but even so, they still did a good job. While I didn't destroy the position in the time allotted, after pausing to regroup, in the Russian style, even without reinforcements, I'd take it on the next attack. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
Post #: 1
- 4/9/2001 11:07:00 AM   
Warrior

WHOA! I used to think my test reports were pretty good, but I bow to a true master of the AAR!

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 2
- 4/9/2001 12:11:00 PM   
Tankhead

Way to go Alexandra a great AAR. I would say that would rate a 10 out of 10 :D :D Tankhead

Tankhead

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 3
- 4/9/2001 1:01:00 PM   
Don

Great report, Alexandra! I am WAY too lazy to do that! :D

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 4
- 4/9/2001 1:05:00 PM   
Latka

Great AAR! I always love readin' em. I like your format, as well. Kinda neat to see a blow-by-blow account. -Andy

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 5
- 4/9/2001 8:29:00 PM   
Alexandra

Glad you all liked. It's the same format I use, most of the time, when I playtest. Still, I could have done better. I did truly misuse my partisans, and it took me too long to be Russian, and accept the losses that 2 Company had to take to get past the bunker line. I should have used my arty to keep hitting the hill, to try and supress the flak guns and mortars, and charged with 2 Company from the get go, and then massed the partisans behind - to the west of - the hill - and used them to clear the mortar pits. Still, for only my 3rd C+C game, I'm not displeased with how I did. More AARs will come :) Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 6
- 4/10/2001 8:22:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I feel rather honored you chose one of mine to do the AAR about, Alex! You never cease to amaze me, Lady! You are talented in so many ways and your knowledge of military history and tactics are excellent. To top it off, you write well. Now would you like to give me a couple of screen shots of that battle if you can recreate them, 2 maybe 3, and then send it to me so we can post it permanently in the Journals Section? This is worth keeping. And yes, guys, Alex does all her test reports the same way. I have read a number of them and can testify to that fact. Nice going, StarGirl! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 7
- 4/10/2001 9:42:00 AM   
Alexandra

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill: [B]I feel rather honored you chose one of mine to do the AAR about, Alex! Lol - it was the first on the scenario list :) I'd beaten it twice as the Germans and wanted to try from the other side. You never cease to amaze me, Lady! You are talented in so many ways and your knowledge of military history and tactics are excellent. Why thank you. Coming from you that's quite a compliment. To top it off, you write well. Now would you like to give me a couple of screen shots of that battle if you can recreate them, 2 maybe 3, and then send it to me so we can post it permanently in the Journals Section? Ack! Wish I'd thought of that! Can't now, the saves are overridden by Blenheim, which will be the next AAR btw :). That one won't be too good for screenshots, either, as I'm at Turn 10 and there's not much left for the UK other than flames and dust. I will try and do some for future ones, though. And yes, guys, Alex does all her test reports the same way. I have read a number of them and can testify to that fact. Well, most of them. I do get lazy sometimes and just do a quick summary, but I kinda like typing the AAR as I play :) Alex

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 8
- 4/12/2001 5:48:00 AM   
marklaker

Interestingly enough, I just finished playing this scenario as the Germans about a week ago. I absolutely destroyed the Russians because the AI didn't handle it's armor very well and kept providing my pillboxes with plenty of cannon fodder. I was just about to try it from the Russian side, because naturally I would have done things quite differently than the computer. Now I can compare my strategy and results against yours. It should be fun. Thanks for the write up - I really enjoy reading them, especially well written like yours! :)

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 9
- 4/12/2001 8:33:00 AM   
Alexandra

I absolutely destroyed the Russians because the AI didn't handle it's armor very well and kept providing my pillboxes with plenty of cannon fodder. Well, the AI's not good with pillboxes in any way. A Human player pops away with them in his turn, the AI rarely does. I'd do things much different there against a human. My tanks assembled in LOS of the pillboxes against the AI, no way I'd do that against a person. Well, maybe the T-60s, hoping for some enemy weapon malf's :) Alex

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> My first AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI