Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A&E's "Napoleon"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> A&E's "Napoleon" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A&E's "Napoleon" - 4/10/2003 8:58:41 AM   
KG Erwin

I'm no expert on the Napoleonic Wars, but this mini-series seems to be a good introduction into that period of historical study. Four hours is enough to spark interest into this era of warmaking, so I recommend it. The hardcore Napoleonics guys will probably roll their collective eyes, but for the casual historian and wargamer (like me), it makes me want to buy a Napoleonic-era wargame. I'm already eying HPS "Napoleon's Russian Campaign", which offers a dynamic campaign for single players. That in itself is intriguing. What did you guys think about this movie?
Post #: 1
- 4/10/2003 1:09:29 PM   
Mad Cow

I have not had a chance to view it yet, but plan to catch it the next time it is on!

Thanks for the "beer & pretzel's" review.

:D

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
- 4/10/2003 11:37:57 PM   
Von Rom

The fact that it was made for TV, I was impressed by the sets, costumes, period dress, etc, as well as the number of troops in the film. It felt very authentic. A&E gets an A+ for its commitment to doing historical films. . .

It was a bit episodic, and if you didn't already know the history, you could lose track as to what was happening, but overall it was very good. For me, as a wargamer, the battles were too short (heh), and I was hoping we would learn more about the man himself: why he conquered; why he was loved by the people; his strategy; his eloquent speeches, etc. But what can you do. . .

I note that you can buy the boxed set of the movie that contains "extended material". So I am assuming this includes more battle footage as well as more explanation as to what was happening.

I hope A&E continues to produce more outstanding historical films such as this one.

BTW, Matrix is making a Napoleonic game called Empire in Arms.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
Comments... - 4/11/2003 6:17:21 AM   
Erik Rutins

I agree, while I only managed to catch the second part, it was quite impressive and I would recommend it to any wargamer interested in the period.

A&E's earlier effort, Horatio Hornblower, also got high marks from me (in fact, I bought it on DVD, the only TV series I've done that for other than Babylon 5). A great adaptation of the characters, period and atmosphere of the books.

I can only hope they'll continue it at some point and keep doing this sort of thing in general.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
Re: Comments... - 4/11/2003 1:35:15 PM   
Von Rom

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Erik Rutins
[B]I agree, while I only managed to catch the second part, it was quite impressive and I would recommend it to any wargamer interested in the period.

A&E's earlier effort, Horatio Hornblower, also got high marks from me (in fact, I bought it on DVD, the only TV series I've done that for other than Babylon 5). A great adaptation of the characters, period and atmosphere of the books.

I can only hope they'll continue it at some point and keep doing this sort of thing in general.

Regards,

- Erik [/B][/QUOTE]

Some of A&E's other historical films have been "The Crossing" about the American Revolution, "Benedict Arnold", The "Sharpe" series, etc. All quite well done. I like the fact that they are true to the time periods in dress and sets, etc.

After watching "Napoleon" I have been itching to play a Napoleonic game. . .

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
- 4/11/2003 9:33:29 PM   
Von Rom

Good news for those of you who missed this 4 hour movie the first time around.

The entire 4 hour movie is being shown again tonight (Friday, April 11) from 8:00 pm to 12:00 am eastern standard time on A&E.

More information here:

http://aetv.com/tv/shows/napoleon/nap_home.html

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
- 4/12/2003 6:38:56 AM   
Snigbert

For what it was (I wouldnt call it a War movie, more of a Biography) I would give it 3.5 stars out of 5. The guy who plays Napoleon had me completely believing he was Napoleon and not some actor portraying him, and suspension of disbelief goes a long way in my book.
The battle scenes were short but bloody (for television) and I thought the uniforms were quite well done. I also enjoyed Malkovich's portrayal of Talleyrand, who Napoloen referred to as "Sh*t in a silk stocking".

I agree about Horation Hornblower too...I thought that was a great series, even if the stories seemed a bit contrived.

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
A superb effort... - 4/12/2003 6:59:15 AM   
KG Erwin

...in historical biography , I agree, but I've heard some complaints from elsewhere that this could easily have been an 8-hour miniseries. That criticism alone makes me feel that, if watchers were demanding more, then A&E did an excellent job in bringing Napoleon alive to the viewers. Christian Clavier was low-key and perfect in portraying Napoleon as a living being, so much credit must also go the writers and director of the movie. It's about to start again, so I'll be glued to my TV for a while.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
Re: Re: Comments... - 4/17/2003 7:16:32 AM   
Mad Cow

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Von Rom
[B]Some of A&E's other historical films have been "The Crossing" about the American Revolution, "Benedict Arnold", The "Sharpe" series, etc. All quite well done. I like the fact that they are true to the time periods in dress and sets, etc.

After watching "Napoleon" I have been itching to play a Napoleonic game. . . [/B][/QUOTE]

They also were the first to show "The Lost Battalion."

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
- 4/17/2003 12:26:57 PM   
Hades

I saw it and i thought it was pretty cool, though 4 hours is a bit long, but it really got me interested in Napoleon. plus the Polish queen was hot

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 10
- 4/18/2003 10:40:05 PM   
Von Rom

As has been noted elsewhere, the boxed set of this movie (VHS and DVD) is an epic 8 hours long.

So the movie we saw on TV (at 4 hours with commercials) was just the highlights. . .

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> A&E's "Napoleon" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote