Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 3/21/2015 8:20:42 AM   
AlbertN

Save attached, for some unfathomable reason the CW Convoys refuse to stay at sea even if set on Sentry.

I've to manually set them to stay at sea every single turn!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 3/21/2015 1:18:49 PM   
Centuur

I can't see any bug here. Sure, you have to check the convoys at sea if they don't return to base. But if you put those on sentry, they don't leave the sea are in the RTB phase. They stay on sentry too, for the next turn...

Peter

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 2
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 3/21/2015 3:38:48 PM   
Furbet

Have a similair problem, I think it may be connected with the production screen settings "unused stay at sea" button.

Been unable to identify enough to log, but suspect something is not right,

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 3
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 3/21/2015 8:58:41 PM   
Sewerlobster

I haven't even bothered with a save but I've had the same problem and it's one that drives me bat-poop crazy. I really don't enjoy cycling through every convoy that I've set to sentry, every turn, just to see if this turn it's still on sentry.

(in reply to Furbet)
Post #: 4
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 3/21/2015 11:44:26 PM   
paulderynck

It's been some time since the threads below were posted, so long in fact they were off the first page. But do they pertain to the problem?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3796791

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3798906&mpage=1�

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 3/22/2015 12:45:34 AM >

Paul

(in reply to Sewerlobster)
Post #: 5
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 3/22/2015 6:54:34 PM   
Larry Smith

I've noticed that bug, too, but it only seems to happen to the side that must RTB first, so the side that has the initiative. The second RTB phase ignores any convoys set to sentry mode.
I've also noted that, for some reason, when a Japanese engineer is in a Chinese city where there was a blue factory that has since been demolished, the Chinese can opt to repair that factory during the production phase! Stranger still, I've turned off the Construction Engineer option! I'd post a save game, but I'm playing with several mods.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 6
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 3/22/2015 7:58:06 PM   
AlbertN

I've tinkered and tried and it still persists.
It seems to happen mainly to Commonwealth admittedly. I am clueless why but I am bound to spend lots of time to manually order all convoys across the whole world to stay at sea, for CW.

(in reply to Larry Smith)
Post #: 7
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 3/31/2015 3:56:15 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I used the saved game and found there were some convoys - mostly Commonwealth that were not on Sentry. I set them to Sentry and the program did not require me to return them to base in the subsequent Return To Base phase. The Axis was the non-phasing side and their convoys which had been set to Sentry did not need to return to base either.

I looked at the Production Planning form and the Send Unused Convoys back to base was not checked, although that could be done at virtually any time during the game.

Now I am using version 1.3.3.7, which might make a difference. But for now, I am going to assume that this problem does not exist in the newer versions. The next Open Beta will be version 1.4.0.0. If you encounter a problem with convoys on Sentry status being forced to return to base using that (or a later) version, then I definitely would like to know about it.

By the way, if you mess around with convoys (i.e., click on) during the Stay at Sea phase, it is quite easy to change their status from Sentry to non-Sentry. But with the newer versions of the program, you can then reset them to Sentry if that was a done by accident.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 8
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 3/31/2015 9:35:08 PM   
CanInf

YAYYY!!!

"But with the newer versions of the program, you can then reset them to Sentry if that was a done by accident."

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 9
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/8/2015 11:40:23 PM   
Larry Smith

Earlier I stated that this bug was occurring to the side with the initiative, but I was wrong - it occurs to the side that did not end the turn. Thus, if the initiative player ended the turn, it happens to the other guy, and vice versa.

Just FYI in case it does occur again. I'll cross my fingers.

< Message edited by Larry Smith -- 4/9/2015 12:46:03 AM >

(in reply to CanInf)
Post #: 10
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/11/2015 10:19:36 AM   
AlbertN

I've not made tests as Larry said, but I've to still manually put all convoys to the Stay at Sea of 1 of the two sides per turn.
Pretty annoying and time consuming.

Post #: 11
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/11/2015 3:33:47 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cohen

I've not made tests as Larry said, but I've to still manually put all convoys to the Stay at Sea of 1 of the two sides per turn.
Pretty annoying and time consuming.

Version 1.3.3, Hot Seat; the only problem we've had is accidentally clicking them during the RTB step. If we ensure all that are staying are on Sentry in the Stay at Sea step, and keep away from them in the RTB step, it all works fine for both sides.

For you on the Production screens, is the setting for "Return Unused" the same for all sides?

Paul

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 12
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/11/2015 7:53:43 PM   
AlbertN

quote:

Version 1.3.3, Hot Seat; the only problem we've had is accidentally clicking them during the RTB step. If we ensure all that are staying are on Sentry in the Stay at Sea step, and keep away from them in the RTB step, it all works fine for both sides.

For you on the Production screens, is the setting for "Return Unused" the same for all sides?

To put it simple, let's say the Soviets --- they got 1 Convoy in the Caspian Sea. I do not click it in the Stay at Sea Phase, and the game allows me to get through the Return to base phase without moving it.
UK, as soon as I've any ship to return to base, even if the convoy was untouched in the Stay at Sea phase, I've to return it to base.

I believe what Larry said could be true as it does not happen -all- the turns the issue but half of them roughly. It happened also with other nations, Japan and Italy, but like once or twice. It happened with USA all the time they had to split convoys after updated trade with Japan.

Did not checked the Return Unused, but it returns -ALL- the convoys in the seazone.

By now we simply manually tour the UK convoys and instruct them each turn to not return to base.
The problem is when you skip one, or another nation goes fussy, you've to reload all over and redo it all.

Post #: 13
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/11/2015 10:27:41 PM   
paulderynck

Do you mean they do this even after you've checked in the Stay at Sea step and ALL the ones you want to keep at sea are on sentry. Because there was another thread about this some time ago now, where it was mentioned that a recent program change was made so that if they are not on sentry then they must return.

Paul

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 14
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/12/2015 12:06:30 AM   
Larry Smith

I find my recurring crime is not paying enough attention when I'm in the RTB phase, and forgetting to deselect the convoys when CTRL-left click [or is it right, I can't recall]. Basically, when I try to rush through the phase [which is almost always]. But I have been paying more attention to which side it occurs to, and whichever side did not end the phase, is the side that this is happening to. But Steve says it's fixed, so now we just have to wait for the fixed version to become available. Then we get to break that! Wee!

Post #: 15
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/12/2015 2:51:34 AM   
paulderynck

I've found the way to avoid touching the CPs in the RTB step is to use the Naval Review Details Form. Double click in a sea zone to bring it up. It updates as you hover over different sea zones. (Careful - if you hover over a single sea box, it changes to show only ships in that sea box, otherwise it shows all but subs, which can also be shown by clicking the checkbox for them.) You can select ships to move by clicking on them in the form. You can select multiple ships to move together by holding the shift key as you click them.

Paul

Post #: 16
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/17/2015 3:15:21 PM   
Spenser

So with 1.4.0 how do i re-sentry the all-important CP that will supply and bring oil to lots of important units ?
The merchant captain still insists on returning to port...

Spenser

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 17
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/17/2015 4:47:18 PM   
Centuur

Right click on the convoys to put them on sentry.

Peter

(in reply to Spenser)
Post #: 18
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/17/2015 5:43:46 PM   
Spenser

Clarification: I'm in the rtb segment and want to put a CP back to sentry ( don't know how it got un-sentried in the first place, but that's another matter...).
Right-clicking brings up a 6-choice meny, none of which enables putting it on sentry.

Spenser

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 19
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/17/2015 6:26:28 PM   
Centuur

That's a phase where you haven't got this option anymore. You have to make sure your convoys are on "sentry" in the stay at sea phase.

Peter

(in reply to Spenser)
Post #: 20
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/17/2015 8:34:09 PM   
Spenser

Bugger... i have had a few times when i have been forced to rtb some of the CPs in a sea zone, hurting production.
But this one CP was so crucial in enabling supply and oil reorg.
Having to check every CP in the stay-at-sea phase is a pita... If only i hadn't fallen in love with this game...

Spenser

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 21
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/17/2015 8:53:38 PM   
Centuur

Yes, it is. Same with the RTB phase. Never click on a convoy point which should stay at sea.

If you are consequent in your actions during both the Stay at sea phase and the RTB phase, you should be allright.

Personally, I believe that there is a bug somewhere here, but since it can be worked around by paying attention to things, this one will not be fixed soon...

Peter

(in reply to Spenser)
Post #: 22
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/17/2015 10:36:22 PM   
paulderynck

I agree with Centuur. Make good use of the Navel Review Details form in the Stay at Sea phase - most especially if you are playing CW, Japan, Italy or the USA.

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 23
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/18/2015 5:52:49 PM   
joshuamnave

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Yes, it is. Same with the RTB phase. Never click on a convoy point which should stay at sea.

If you are consequent in your actions during both the Stay at sea phase and the RTB phase, you should be allright.

Personally, I believe that there is a bug somewhere here, but since it can be worked around by paying attention to things, this one will not be fixed soon...

WTF? I haven't played in over a month because I was waiting for this exact fix, as promised in this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3796791

The level of annoyance introduced by the recent change that lets us take cp's off of sentry during the RTB phase but not reassign them to sentry is incredibly high.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 24
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/18/2015 7:54:49 PM   
Centuur

It's working OK. You can avoid this by not clicking on a convoy point which has to stay at sea in the RTB phase. That's not difficult to do, isn't it?

It's a minor inconvenience, where I'm concerned, as compared with all fatal bugs which were fixed, such as peacekeepers and naval interception...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 4/18/2015 8:55:15 PM >

Peter

(in reply to joshuamnave)
Post #: 25
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/18/2015 8:21:50 PM   
Spenser

Well, something isn't working ok. In my game the US CP in question (in South China sea) is on sentry status in the stay at sea phase, but when i proceed to the rtb phase, unlike other CPs it's dotted green demanding to return to port.
Now, if i unsentry it and then resentry it in the sas-phase, it remains on sentry in the rtb phase, but why should i have to do that? Having to do that with every CP would be a nightmare...
Saved game in stay at sea phase attached.
Spenser

quote:

It's working OK. You can avoid this by not clicking on a convoy point which has to stay at sea in the RTB phase. That's not difficult to do, isn't it?

It's a minor inconvenience, where I'm concerned, as compared with all fatal bugs which were fixed, such as peacekeepers and naval interception...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 26
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/18/2015 8:39:10 PM   
Centuur

This is strange indeed. The convoy is on sentry and it wants to return to base. I haven't got this in any game.

Peter

(in reply to Spenser)
Post #: 27
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/18/2015 10:30:19 PM   
joshuamnave

quote:

Oh, it's just a minor inconvenience to you. Well then I guess I'll just shut up and be happy that a year and a half after release some of the fatal bugs are fixed and put up with the minor inconveniences that more than double the amount of time that the RTB phase, which is usually highly routine and more of a maintenance task than part of gameplay in most situations.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 28
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/19/2015 9:37:04 PM   
paulderynck

I'm unsure everyone realizes that there was an intentional change in the RTB phase at the same time as the fix for a problem where CPs were coming off sentry.

You now can RTB CPs even if they are on sentry. This was the original design intent but was not previously functioning. Where this is causing confusion, I think, is if you cycle through your "Available this phase" units, the cycling will show your CPs even though they are sentried. If you are happy with all that are on Sentry, you can ignore them and cycle to the next unit. Once you've processed all the "Available this phase" units, you should get a Green indicator at the top that you can end the phase, without having to touch any of your sentried CPs.

Paul

(in reply to joshuamnave)
Post #: 29
RE: Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? - 4/20/2015 2:45:37 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Only one of the dozen or so US convoys on Sentry duty have this problem. I suspect it has to do with the Return Unused Convoys to Base option in the Production Planning form. Possibly a flag was set to return the convoy to base - ignoring the Sentry status.

I'll investigate the particulars for this game.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Convoys refusing to Stay at Sea? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI