Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

attacking ships in "port"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> attacking ships in "port" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
attacking ships in "port" - 5/14/2015 10:51:07 PM   
orca

I tried to simulate attacking ships in port. I placed the ships in the appropriate location and made the speed 0. I know many missiles are land attack only- maybe using gps or inertial guidance.... I assume they would still be able to hit ships if they are stationary and docked? If this seems realistic can this be put in the request log?

Also, if I create a scenario attacking ships in port. What would be realistic? Would the ships be able to use their sensors and weapons? Or would they be too undermanned and unable to generate power, etc. If yes then would it be reasonable to make their unit proficiency very low to account for the likely reduced crew on board?
Post #: 1
RE: attacking ships in "port" - 5/19/2015 5:06:03 AM   
jmarso

quote:

ORIGINAL: orca

I tried to simulate attacking ships in port. I placed the ships in the appropriate location and made the speed 0. I know many missiles are land attack only- maybe using gps or inertial guidance.... I assume they would still be able to hit ships if they are stationary and docked? If this seems realistic can this be put in the request log?

Most land attack missiles use some form of GPS targeting. In order to hit a docked ship, the missile would have to be programmed with the position of the vessel. In real life that is almost certainly possible to do, but I think that might be beyond the scope of the game at this point. This means mean you would still have to attack the ship with anti-ship missiles in-game in order for them to 'find' the target.

quote:

Also, if I create a scenario attacking ships in port. What would be realistic? Would the ships be able to use their sensors and weapons? Or would they be too undermanned and unable to generate power, etc. If yes then would it be reasonable to make their unit proficiency very low to account for the likely reduced crew on board?

Ships in port have the capability to use their weapons and sensors provided they are manned and powered. The readiness state of the ship depends on her power plants, the disposition of the crew, etc, as you mentioned above. In a high threat environment a ship would either be kept out of port or made to anchor away from potential shore threats, as is often done in the Persian Gulf. Of course, a vessel in port can be subjected to any number of different surprise attacks. The ability of the ship(s) to fight back in-game is dependent on how you want the scenario to run- you have to make the ship either capable of combat or not, depending on your scenario. Hope that helps.

(in reply to orca)
Post #: 2
RE: attacking ships in "port" - 5/19/2015 9:11:05 PM   
rvseydlitz

I tried to search but it seems not working for me. I am fairly certain that someone did a recreation of the Pearl Harbor attack and put an AAR about it.

(in reply to jmarso)
Post #: 3
RE: attacking ships in "port" - 5/19/2015 9:38:00 PM   
thewood1

It was the Final Countdown...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3454675&mpage=1&key=countdown�

about 20 seconds to search and find it.

(in reply to rvseydlitz)
Post #: 4
RE: attacking ships in "port" - 5/19/2015 9:51:38 PM   
rvseydlitz

Thank you wood.. yes, search does not work for me here for some reason, just immediately shoots back a no results found.

Edit..

Actually, no matter what I search lol, including just now looking for the actual title .. I get this result

Message from webpage

The system could not find any record.

Possible causes include

1)Your search term is not specific enough
2) There is indeed no matching record

< Message edited by rvseydlitz -- 5/19/2015 11:19:34 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: attacking ships in "port" - 5/20/2015 3:17:59 AM   
DavidRob0

Here in Fremantle, and in some other ports I have visited, ships alongside are refuelled by a small "tanker" which moves around the inner and outer harbours providing fuel for the ships alongside and at anchor outside the port.

I haven't tried to do this in CMANO yet, but it might be a way to resolve the question?

Only the Dead have seen an end to war-
David Rob

(in reply to rvseydlitz)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> attacking ships in "port" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI