Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sea of Fire Scenario Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Sea of Fire Scenario Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sea of Fire Scenario Questions - 1/3/2015 3:39:35 AM   
KenMech

Hello everyone,
I am new to CMANO but I have played harpoon in the past. I was playing Sea of Fire with the latest patches
and scenario updates and I was having trouble recreating the actual battle. Two things I have noticed while playing

1. my A4's seem to reach bingo fuel while trying to reach their targets at very low altitude. They start at 40k
and I drop them down to 2k (at cruise or loiter it does not matter) I get close and then command them to the
lowest altitude they can fly and then pop up to 1k for the attack.

2. The RN ships do not fire on my planes, I have checked the logs and see that my planes are not in the patrol area
and will not be attacked. With the scenario editor I have changed the settings for the RN to investigate contacts
outside the patrol area and then they fire on me with very good results.

I was wondering if anyone else has had these issues or just me :) I would welcome any suggestions that would
allow me to complete the Argentine mission successfully.

Thanks
KenMech
Post #: 1
RE: Sea of Fire Scenario Questions - 1/5/2015 11:57:45 PM   
magi

I have not played this scenario… But it's very possible that you're a A4's have reached the extent of their range of operation… And need to RTB.... I know in the Falkland war that this was in fact true and I believe they were using Ariel refueling on the way to target......
You haven't given a lot of information so there's a number of issues that could be going on…
I do believe you should go and check your doctoring and game settings and see what they are set at.....in the British AAW missiles were not really that great at the time......

I think you should get to Milyer with the game settings and the doctor in settings… I suspect that The issue is there... Keep fooling with it… It's a fabulous game simulator… But there is little to learn…

< Message edited by magi -- 1/6/2015 12:58:22 AM >

(in reply to KenMech)
Post #: 2
RE: Sea of Fire Scenario Questions - 1/6/2015 5:30:59 PM   
ultradave

I just had similar questions - at least about the bingo fuel. The A-4s *barely* have enough fuel to make it to the area where the British ships are. Dropping to low altitude too soon will use up the fuel and you'll RTB somewhere due west of West Falkland Island. The Super Entenard group has the same problem if you drop them down low too soon. I played it several times before figuring out at least one idea that works.

Fly at slow speed toward the British ships - maintain high altitude. For the Super Entenard group, when you are with Exocet range, designate a manual attack against each ship - one Exocet per ship is all you have. They will drop altitude and fire (if you are lucky - last night one did and the other bingo'ed and didn't fire). Same with the A-4s, but they have to make a bombing run. You'll only get one chance, if any.

Basically, playing with speed and altitude to minimize fuel consumption is the key. Best result I've gotten was an Exocet hit on Broadsword, which sank it. That earned a triumph. In that run, my A-4s didn't get there, so it was lucky the Exocet hit.

Seems like it should be a straightforward scenario but there's more too it than at first glance :-)

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 3
RE: Sea of Fire Scenario Questions - 1/7/2015 3:00:19 AM   
magi

Time to target was a real problem for the Argentinians in the Falkland war… That was a real deal… another mistake they made... Is the Argentine navy and Argentine Air Force did not cooperate with each other on their air campaign and designing their missions… Which meant they use their airpower inefficiently...
If you launch your aircraft individually that will help conserve fuel... There won't be any waiting for form up… I haven't played this scenario so I'm just going to supposing here......

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 4
RE: Sea of Fire Scenario Questions - 1/7/2015 3:04:53 AM   
magi

I was working in Prudoe bay at the time the Falklands conflict broke out… One of my best hands was in Argentina fella named Martin Bustos… He was a really great guy and a top hand and powerful man.. an old gaucho… he really believed the Argentina was going to prevail… I didn't have the heart to tell him they were going to get their ass kicked…
Of all their services in that action… The one that Sean was the Argentine an Air Force… They were really professional military force and performed very well....

< Message edited by magi -- 1/7/2015 4:07:15 AM >

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 5
RE: Sea of Fire Scenario Questions - 7/10/2015 10:52:01 AM   
aheadflank

Actually, bingo fuel issue is well described in the mission briefing. Plane load affects maximum flight distance, so if you drop the bombs or launch the Exocet missiles, it will be increased. To take that into account, you should initiate an intercept mission instead of ASuW patrol.

I've made over 10 attempts to pass this scenario trying several different variations of tactics, but haven't succeeded even once. I tried to close both over sea and land, how Argentinian pilots actually did, on the minimum altitude, with radars & ECM turned off, on maximum velocity. After being detected, I increased altitude to 1000 ft to drop bombs and turned my ECM on. But I never could approach close enough to drop the bombs. All my Skyhawks were shot down via AA missiles, one by one. When I fired Exocet missiles, which are actually intended for other purpose (Argentina had only a few of them, so they could not spend them attacking non-significant targets), they were jammed and always shot down by British AAA.

So.…does anybody has any suggestions? Successful battle report is needed.

(in reply to KenMech)
Post #: 6
RE: Sea of Fire Scenario Questions - 7/10/2015 2:10:18 PM   
ComDev

Please make sure you have tha latest game engine, database and scenario: B678.17.

Then see my comments in this thread:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3885372&mpage=1

< Message edited by emsoy -- 7/10/2015 3:10:46 PM >

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to aheadflank)
Post #: 7
RE: Sea of Fire Scenario Questions - 7/13/2015 10:18:30 AM   
aheadflank

Thank you! I finally accomplished this scenario, using a massive attack. As massive, as I could )
I've posted a detailed report in After Action Report section, but I'm not able to publish links yet.

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Sea of Fire Scenario Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI