Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

using or not, victory point hexes at river crossings

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> using or not, victory point hexes at river crossings Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
using or not, victory point hexes at river crossings - 3/1/2016 7:07:17 PM   
carll11

Good day all;

I'm creating my first real River Crossing scenario ( Long water/river line, several crossings 30, 40 hexes away from each other) , and, I am stuck on how to or if at all set vict. point values in hexes for the defender.

The Scen. is written for the aggressor/offensive to be taken by the human, as the AI would be hopeless at managing a complex operation like that.

I'd like the defender to remain in or around their positions as long as possible and...defend, so I am fixing them to start......( I assume minus vict point hexes thats the thing to do anyway?)

Knowing that once each fixed defender is fired upon, the unit may go, well,wherever, they don't always appear to defend in place (or will they minus ANY vict point hexes for their side to take?) and, IF there were point hexes for them to defend etc. they would all just head there ( cluttering one or 2 hexes) and thats not going to cut it...

I would greatly appreciate any advice at all, thinking out loud and some of you I know ;) have experience in creating scen. that may speak to this topic.......and of course those of you that have design knowledge of what the AI would or may do in all likely hood.

ANY advice etc. greatly appreciated!!

Carl11
Post #: 1
RE: using or not, victory point hexes at river crossings - 3/1/2016 9:36:31 PM   
Warhorse

If you have them at 10 or less reaction, they will stay put pretty much. As for minus point hexes, those are usually for exit hexes, or, did you mean an absence of said hexes?

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 2
RE: using or not, victory point hexes at river crossings - 3/1/2016 10:47:42 PM   
carll11

First thank you replying!

So, first if I read you right, if I set the defender ( the allies) aggressiveness at 10 or lower, they'll do their best to stay in the good def. positions I have them frozen at, the IP's, trenches, bunkers etc.

When I was speaking of hex points I meant for example; if I create objective hexes for the allies, if they are frozen, once they are fired upon, would they un-ass their hex, even ifs its a good def. position and try and take the obj. hex? So would there be a point in creating any, other than hope they'd stay in the general area of the bridge and fight?

If freezing them, and lowering their aggressiveness would do that, that may be best(?)

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 3
RE: using or not, victory point hexes at river crossings - 3/2/2016 1:43:18 AM   
Warhorse

No problem! Yes, a low aggressiveness will help, and fixing. You can put small level objectives maybe in the positions they already hold, if you put them behind them, they will try to flock to protect!

For a good example, open up 109th scn in the WF editor, it is a river crossing as well, will give you a good feel for how to approach this angle, Huib is a very good designer!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 4
RE: using or not, victory point hexes at river crossings - 3/3/2016 7:17:06 PM   
carll11

thank you!

I played the 109th scenario. I see what you mean. With the low aggressiveness they stayed put even after being fired upon several times, though some of the rear echelon on units round around a bit between victory point hexes they held back there.

I am not sure if I will add any vict. pt. hexes at all. Its a fairly deep defense. I am not sure what the point would be...I know the hexes I must take.

Then again, when units are displaced by being pushed out of IPs etc. they need some where to go to rally...as long as the rest stay in place even after being fired upon that would be great....hummmmmmmm....

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 5
RE: using or not, victory point hexes at river crossings - 3/3/2016 8:54:44 PM   
wings7

Great info guys! Makes me want to start designing...again.

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 6
RE: using or not, victory point hexes at river crossings - 3/3/2016 10:21:54 PM   
Warhorse

Go, go, go!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 7
RE: using or not, victory point hexes at river crossings - 3/9/2016 10:35:26 PM   
carll11

So, I am 14 turns in, it seems that the non vict. point hexes plan is definitely playable.

So, that being said, to add some uncertainty and reality, I need to figure out counter attack options..This means I will definitely have to add some point hexes. This will draw the counter attack forces hopefully.

I am going to choose some of the salient or key positions. I have a good idea what to freeze where and how long.......

Just as a note for Patrick et al ( I am sure Warhorse probably knows this;) ); taking a NW eur. stone 'building' with a pillbox is virtually impossible minus engineers. Panzergrenadiers alone, nope, Schutzen? Nope......I have not tried Sturm troops though...hummmmm, I am not sure despite their ability to even fire once and close combat in the same turn will matter, they still aren't engineers....

< Message edited by carl11 -- 3/9/2016 10:36:14 PM >

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> using or not, victory point hexes at river crossings Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI