Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

making cavalry scouts and other queries

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> making cavalry scouts and other queries Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
making cavalry scouts and other queries - 7/25/2015 4:11:36 AM   
Agathosdaimon

Hi!
loving the game so far but just some little queries:

will there be a way, or is there a way to detach just a smaller unit of riders so as to use them as scouts? currently it seems the who squadron cannot be broken down at all, which makes the commitment of a whole squadron to scouting seemingly unwieldy to do and i am not sure if historically scouts would be in such a large visible mass

also regarding spotting - is this automatic? or does it depend on the degree of cover of the unit and or the spotting ability of the other - is that factored in? the maps are big enough and varied enough in terrain that reconnaissance is vital

also, some maps have some bodies of water in them which units seem to have no reaction to and they walk right into them - in particular on one map the unit went into the deep pond and because it was so deep i couldn't figure out who it was and also could not select the flag, -and it was in the thick of a battle for the map was of no help in this instance to allow me to see whether i had selected the right unity via other means
Post #: 1
RE: making cavalry scouts and other queries - 7/27/2015 12:30:39 PM   
Agathosdaimon

so my questions were bad ones?

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 2
RE: making cavalry scouts and other queries - 7/27/2015 4:38:47 PM   
con20or

If you are comfortable modding, the 'split battalion' command works for cavalry as well as for infantry but we did not provide the split battalion command for the cavalry toolbars because we intended its use for infantry skirmishers only.

spotting depends on a number of things but i cannot remember them all. The time of day is one but I am not sure if that is set in a scenario file. I know in some of our ACW Chancellorsville scenarios we had variable visibility. LOS is also influenced by elevations, obviously. One of the other team members might be able to fill us in on what counts as LOS obstructions.

If a unit walks into deepwater it automatically keeps moving to get out of it. This can be slow particularly if it presses on - which is good if it is a river, but bad if it is a lake. They are good to have on your flanks to keep the enemy from coming at you quickly.

< Message edited by con20or -- 7/27/2015 5:40:33 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: making cavalry scouts and other queries - 7/27/2015 6:10:55 PM   
Agathosdaimon

Thanks for your reply! unfortunately i dont know how to do any of the modding but it sounds like the split battalion option for cavalry would be not too difficult to switch on for cavalry as the button option is already there, yes?

(in reply to con20or)
Post #: 4
RE: making cavalry scouts and other queries - 7/28/2015 8:50:45 PM   
RebBugler

The split command is on the Cavalry Stand Context Menu. Split 50 works only due to the small squadron sizes.

Hopefully those lakes of doom will be addressed in a patch.

Designer - Scourge of War

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> making cavalry scouts and other queries Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI