Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT - Anyone here play Civ2?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> OT - Anyone here play Civ2? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT - Anyone here play Civ2? - 4/25/2001 4:15:00 AM   
rwprice

Are any of you fans of Sid Meier's Civilization II? I'm curious to know how many of you who enjoy SPWaW also enjoy Civ2. I'm fairly new to gaming in general, and turn-based strategy in particular, so I'm interested in your opinions of this game. Do you greatly prefer one over the other, and if so, why? I'm asking so that I can try to get a feel for whether I would like a wargame like SPWaW. Thanks for your feedback. [ April 24, 2001: Message edited by: Bob ]

Post #: 1
- 4/25/2001 5:02:00 AM   
Slayer

Does Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri count? I have never played Civ II, but I love both SP:WAW and SMAC. I don't think that there really is any similarity between these two games, aside from their addictiveness :) Civilization-type games have abstract combat where you have no real control over the outcome, and is mostly about building an empire. SPWAW, on the other hand, is about taking control of individual tanks and infantry squads, and is centered just around simulating combat as accurately as is possible, while still being fun (and fun it is!). As I said, I like both types of games, but for very different reasons, so just give SPWAW a try, and you will see if you like it or not. [ April 24, 2001: Message edited by: Slayer ]

(in reply to rwprice)
Post #: 2
- 4/25/2001 6:02:00 AM   
Banjo

I have Civ2 gold for the playstation, and one of the first games I bought for the pc when I got mine last year was Civ 2 Test of time. My only complaint with the Civ series is the combat. When you get to the point where you have Jet planes and nuclear powered vessels and missles, in a years time, the ships should be able to move around the plant at least once and the aircraft can do it in a few days. Civ 3 is on the horizon with no release date yet, and I can't wait to see it. I think they are supposed to make the warfare portion of the game a bit more realistic. I personaly prefer not to fight in the Civ games, but I'm not afraid to nuke the aggressors into the stone age. SPWAW on the other hand is a totally different type of game. Equally as addicting, and intense. The Matrix crew has done a superb job in keeping this game growing. The closest thing I can relate this to is Advanced Squad Leader without the 200+ pages of rules and map boards that take up space for days on your table. It's the same scale and intesity. You can fight battles as small as a platoon of infantry taking out a machinegun nest, to a full regiment assaulting Omaha Beach and more. The size of your battles can be real large, dependimg on how much time you want to spend on a scenario. With the new version 5.0 available now, it will be even better. It will be available for downloading shortly, but I recomend ordering the CD with all of the new extras that Matrix has included that are only available if you order it. Check out the details and get your order in, I would gladly pay double the price they are asking for this game.

(in reply to rwprice)
Post #: 3
- 4/25/2001 7:27:00 AM   
Pack Rat

I played a lot of the Civ games, love em. (I'm playing Europa Universalis now, a Civ like game, until version 5 comes out.) I've played the Panther series since it first came out, love em. Apples and oranges though, I think. In my not so humble opinion I think World at War is the best of its type there is. You can't beat the price and if you like it as much as most that write on this board you'll not begrudge Matrix the small support price, so they can continue to add to a wonderful concept. What they have on the drawing boards is looking very good. They are a company to watch, with out doubt. Give it a shot and kiss your nights good-bye, like the rest of us. If only the Civ like games had combat as good as SPWAW, I'd be a happy man. ;) [ April 24, 2001: Message edited by: Pack Rat ] [ April 24, 2001: Message edited by: Pack Rat ]

PR

(in reply to rwprice)
Post #: 4
- 4/25/2001 7:58:00 AM   
Mockingbird

I have played alot of the civ series games and have never been more satisfied then with Civ2 gold. Having said that, I defiently enjoy SPWaW more. The only comparison I can offer is that they are both at the top of their class. I have to admit though, that when Civ3 comes out I'll be putting SPWaW aside for awhile. [ April 24, 2001: Message edited by: Mockingbird ]

(in reply to rwprice)
Post #: 5
- 4/25/2001 8:30:00 AM   
murx

Sid Meyers Antietam and Gettysburg are really good :) OK, they are realtime but one can pause and issue orders easily and are fun to play. The 3d graphic is so, uhm, ugly ?, no, er simple :) that it's not a big difference to 2d hex graphics :) murx

(in reply to rwprice)
Post #: 6
- 4/25/2001 10:29:00 AM   
rwprice

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. As soon as I get the time to check it out, I'm going to take the plunge and play SPWaW. I've never played this type of game before, so I'm looking forward to it.

(in reply to rwprice)
Post #: 7
- 4/26/2001 2:51:00 AM   
fontenoy

Hi Bob, I played quite a bit of Civ 2 on Playstation. A most enjoyable game.I think you would like SPWAW,you can't argue with the price.Playing SPWAW reminds me of when I used to play Civil War Generals 1&2.I would love to see a CWG 3 someday Regards, Fontenoy

(in reply to rwprice)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> OT - Anyone here play Civ2? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI