Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tank armour

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tank armour Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tank armour - 4/23/2001 6:06:00 AM   
Merlin

I found a site that says that a the X tank (we'll call it X ;) ) Hull armor: 15-30mm Shield armor: 15mm what does that mean???

Post #: 1
- 4/23/2001 7:59:00 AM   
Bonzo

quote:

I found a site that says that a the X tank (we'll call it X ) Hull armor: 15-30mm Shield armor: 15mm what does that mean???
What it probably means is thatareas of the hull thought more likely to be struck (generally the front) are 30mm thick, less vulnerable less thick, thinnest 15mm. The shield is (if this is a tank and not an SP gun) probably a gun mantle, covering the hole in the turret where the gun comes out of and with holes for the coaxial mg and gun optics. The Gun mantle is often mounted on the gun barrel and so its weight must be accounted for in balancing the gun itself to allow proper elevation and depression, the turret to allow proper rotation on uneven terrain and the suspension so that the tank rides level. This need to balance often resulted in thinner than desired gun shields. The American M26A1Ee Super Pershing had a beefed up gun mantle that got the first two right, but not the suspension so it was nose heavy and rode accordingly.

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to Merlin)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tank armour Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI