Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Well i did it.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Well i did it. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Well i did it. - 3/27/2003 2:10:32 PM   
Maliki

Ordered Operation Watchtower.I really do hope that Steel panthers is as good as everyone here says.The only other tactical WWII games i own are the campaign series,how do these two compare to each other?
Post #: 1
- 3/27/2003 5:31:30 PM   
Zakhal

Never played spwaw yet? Good? Are you kidding, its awesome. I played it for 6 years. And currently im thinking of parting into a new megacampaign journey again. Havent tried the patched lost vic yet.:)

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 2
- 3/27/2003 7:24:49 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Watchtower is only one of three. Odds are though getting the other two has been decided made harder for you to get. Being sold out does that. And odds are "sold out" is the term you will find in most cases if not all.

SPWaW is not the entire world of Steel Panthers though. Your journey is not over till you have tried SPMBT and SPWW2 over at Wargamer from the SP Cammo guys.
You also need to try SP3 which is a separate level of command being a platoon level simulation.

Then you will have experienced the main varieties of Steel Panthers.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 3
Don't forget H2H - 3/28/2003 10:32:37 AM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Watchtower is only one of three. Odds are though getting the other two has been decided made harder for you to get. Being sold out does that. And odds are "sold out" is the term you will find in most cases if not all.

SPWaW is not the entire world of Steel Panthers though. Your journey is not over till you have tried SPMBT and SPWW2 over at Wargamer from the SP Cammo guys.
You also need to try SP3 which is a separate level of command being a platoon level simulation.

Then you will have experienced the main varieties of Steel Panthers. [/B][/QUOTE]

H2H - a singularly spectacular Mod for SPW@W v7.1. It's 'gotta have'. :cool:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 4
- 3/28/2003 10:58:11 AM   
CCB

"Opinionated Old Fart"

[IMG]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/avatar.php?userid=4521&dateline=1048439510[/IMG]

ROFL! :D

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 5
- 3/28/2003 8:33:44 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I don't consider H2H a separte game though but a major option to SPWAaW.

Although you will be happy to know, every cd I ship out to new fans has the H2H option on the cd :)

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 6
- 4/4/2003 12:17:26 AM   
Maliki

Dang that was quick!: Just got it in the mail today.

Speedy service is appreciated:)

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 7
- 4/4/2003 1:05:14 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

If you refer to your Watchtower arriving, get ready for some stiff fighting.

Also get ready for the old man telling you off heheh.

You won't be driving scores of tanks around, and assume the Japanese forces will drive you crazy.

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 8
- 4/4/2003 1:36:06 AM   
Maliki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]If you refer to your Watchtower arriving, get ready for some stiff fighting.

Also get ready for the old man telling you off heheh.

You won't be driving scores of tanks around, and assume the Japanese forces will drive you crazy. [/B][/QUOTE]

What old man telling me off:confused: Don't tell me the game is going to critique my performance,i get enough of that at work...and at home:mad:

I'm just really geeked that it only took about a week for this to arrive,i was expecting the usual 4-6 weeks whenever you order something.It means i can tackle it after i get back from work tonight.

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 9
- 4/4/2003 2:04:33 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

In Mega Campaigns if you succeed in the current battle they give you a good next assignment.

If you botch the battle you get chewed out and given a crummy next assignment.

Mega Campaigns are never the same twice. And .....and they will take you a lot of long hours of playing time too.

Hmm here's some solid advice, give your wife some flowers, run her a bath, spend "some time" with her, and then you won't likely get as much flak from playing your MC to death :)

Mega Campaigns are not play a few hours and it's done eh. Some of us guys have taken months to finish them.

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 10
- 4/4/2003 2:05:41 AM   
Jim1954

Don't forget to download the patches and grow eyes in the back of your head. You're gonna need them.

:D

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 11
- 4/4/2003 6:34:23 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

Jim1954 posted:

"Don't forget to download the patches and grow eyes in the back of your head. You're gonna need them."

An extra set of ears wouldn't hurt, either. :D

Eric Maietta

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 12
- 4/4/2003 8:34:43 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Any time Wild Bill is involved ear protection is assumed

[SIZE=4]Kaboooom!![/SIZE]

Bill likes mines eh.

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 13
- 4/12/2003 12:07:54 PM   
Maliki

Heres a question for you guys.Where do i find the pdf file to download for the manual?I've searched the site and can't find it,maybe i'm just blind.Right now i'm expereincing a fair amount of frustation trying to figure out the game without it.I've figured out a few things on my own,such as higher suppresion levels will not allow you to spot enemy units in your LOS,among other effects of it.Any help is greatly appreciated:)

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 14
- 4/13/2003 12:51:14 AM   
Jim1954

The manual is the 4th title on the right if the 1st screen. World At War Manual. You need to have Adobeacrobat downloaded and installed to view files in pdf format.

You can find it here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 15
- 4/13/2003 10:36:22 AM   
Maliki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim1954
[B]The manual is the 4th title on the right if the 1st screen. World At War Manual. You need to have Adobeacrobat downloaded and installed to view files in pdf format.

You can find it here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh thats why i can't read it!I thought you had to download the manual.Thanks alot Jim1954.

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 16
- 4/13/2003 10:38:14 AM   
Maliki

BTW whats all this combat net stuff...and should i install it?

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 17
- 4/13/2003 10:46:56 PM   
Jim1954

I think it is (or was?) some sort of online playing site? Never went there so I really can't comment. Perhaps someone else can.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 18
- 4/14/2003 4:16:09 AM   
Maliki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim1954
[B]I think it is (or was?) some sort of online playing site? Never went there so I really can't comment. Perhaps someone else can. [/B][/QUOTE]

Once again thanks for your help.Between reading the manaul and playing the game i didn't get to sleep until 10AM:D :eek: I hadn't realized that you needed adobe acrobat to view it.

i started a WWII campaign just to get some practice in before i play a mega-campaign.Wow that was really cool knowing what i'm doing now,no more why can't i's?

Picked the japanese,first mission was nomohah(sp,still sleepy
:D )Figured i'd be fighting the chinese,so my forces weren't really built to take on the russian onslaught.My armored forces were only two engineer flame tanks and three medium tanks along with that i purchased a patrol boat(figured it being china lots of rivers)an engineer section,patrol car section,the japanese company that comes with all the medium infantry,a bunch of snipers,couple of FO's,and a ton of infantry artillery.It was actually pretty funny because i had to stick my patrol boat on top of a hill,lots of hilly terrain,rain and only one road that branched on my side of the map and very poor off road movement in the valleys between the hills.I started off aggresively and took the obj's that sat in the no-mans land between the deployment lines.occupied the one cluster along the side of the road with engineers and placed mines while my medium tanks ranged ahead to get the height advantge of the road before it dipped into the valley by the russian side.moved my infantry along the flanks because the terrain seemed better suited for them to hold out against russian armored attacks.Ended first turn,a couple of t-26's show up along with a SO rifle squad on the soviet ridge on the other side of the valley fire a few ineffective shots with my Chi's and figure the height advantage and weather would allow me another chance before they could close to effective range next turn,i'm actually defending but my orders seemed to state an advance at some point was needed.Anyhow i figured a couple of tanks and some infantry no big deal.Soviet turn-what looks like a whole **** regiment of t-26's and several gaz's and a couple BT's come pouring down the road at my three lone tanks.OP fire stalled some but they just kept coming and coming there was no end to them:eek: My three Chi's were surronded on the side in front behind and in their own hex by the swarms of tanks...i thought it was over:mad: Several turns later and the hilarious site of watching my boat on the mountain top OP fire at the russian hordes advancing down the road there were at least two dozen burning or abandoned russian tanks and armored vehicles along the road directly around my Chi's as in true samurai fashion they stood their ground and dealt blow after blow to the advancing and ineffective russian force,a smaller russian armored force was destroyed near the OBj cluster on my left flank by point blank fire and assault's launched by the infantry platoon defending them,even my 70mm guns who could view the action took part in the carnage.All three of my chi's were still alive though out of AP,the russian t-26's seem suprisingly vunerable to HE,panic had swept the soviet hordes though they would just readvance the next turn.No longer fearing the soviet armor i brought up my flame tanks to support the chi's and the real carnage began,it was really cool watching the soviet crews panic and abandon their vehicles everytime the engineer tanks spewed flame at them and then watch them perish a fiery death as the next shots got them.The road to nomohan was now thoroughly littered with the burnt out and abandoned carcasses of soviet armor it was time to make my advance...

As you can see i really enjoy this game,though i kinda felt like it was unrealistic that my few jap armored forces dealt such heavy casaulties without taking any losses of their own,and i didn't even play around with any of the preferences to make it easier.I think its going to be another sleepless night tonight:D

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 19
- 4/14/2003 5:34:53 AM   
Jim1954

There will be many more sleepless nights to come, I'm afraid. You just get used to bumping into things in the daylight and mumbling, sorry just one more turn and the I'll quit. lol

:D

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 20
- 4/14/2003 6:23:53 AM   
chief

Jim 1954: I do believe that Maliki has been enraptured by the sirens of SPWAW, another good man joins the ranks and will soon be unrecognizable by his family. I hope he has good medical insurance, the kind that covers rehab. By the way MALIKI you do know that you don't chose your core force in a Mega camp (they are preordained). Just a bit of useless info for your files.

Welcome aboard

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 21
- 4/14/2003 6:42:01 AM   
Maliki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chief
[B]Jim 1954: I do believe that Maliki has been enraptured by the sirens of SPWAW, another good man joins the ranks and will soon be unrecognizable by his family. I hope he has good medical insurance, the kind that covers rehab. By the way MALIKI you do know that you don't chose your core force in a Mega camp (they are preordained). Just a bit of useless info for your files.

Welcome aboard [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes,i tried to start one when i first got the game,but without being able to view the manual i gave it up in frustration.Right now i'm sticking to the training scenarios and the WWII campaign to get some practice in and refine my tactics and understanding of the game.Though i did start the scenario that has the Spanish Legion fighting in Morroco,it was different enough that i had to try it.

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Well i did it. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote