Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows 8.1/10 ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Windows 8.1/10 ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 8.1/10 ? - 7/14/2015 10:39:30 AM   
Freyr Oakenshield

Hi,

Is this game playable under Windows 8.1/10?

Best,
f
Post #: 1
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 7/14/2015 11:16:39 AM   
Riitaoja

I have not heard anyone try to run it on Win 10 yet.

On Windows 8.1 it should run but you will have several issues. One is that the artillery sceen is unresponsive to mouse clicks and the other one is random crashing. There are unofficial fixes posted here in the sticky thread "Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix ". Despite the title the fixes are not really guaranteed to work and not specific to just Windows 7.

< Message edited by Riitaoja -- 7/14/2015 12:16:55 PM >

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 7/14/2015 6:50:36 PM   
Major_Mess

8.1 - yes it does, check out Riitaoja's posts, last or second to last page. His *.cmd file makes it all work fine.

Win 10 - it should work, there's really not that much difference between the two versions. Considering the way in which Win 8 solved a lot of SPWaW's problems, it might just work even better with this new MS build.

cheers

MM

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 8/20/2015 10:07:00 PM   
pzpat

I recently made the mistake of downloading Windows 10. I dislike it for other reasons, but SP works very well with it, better than with Win 7. The colors are perfect. The only hitch is the expected one. The artillery page is worse that I had with Win 7. You have to have a lot of patience. I click with both the wireless mouse and the keypad on my laptop. You also have to click a lot to get out of the page, and if you're not careful, it will suddenly get back to the battlefield and then move your spotting unit because you didn't stop clicking in time.
To test it I started a campaign game on June 22, 1941, between the Americans and the Russians. I the first scenario, a delay, I was attacked by over 100 Russian tanks, including T-34's. What is saving me are the 3-inch AA guns, but they have run out of AP ammo. The Stuarts are cracker boxes. If I win this I think I'll pass on the rest of the campaign.

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 4
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 8/20/2015 10:14:57 PM   
Major_Mess

Shift-click might help you there chief.
And D/L Riitoaja's fix for the arty problem from the Training Center sub-forum.
That file was all I need to run the game flawlessly.

cheers

MM

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to pzpat)
Post #: 5
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 8/23/2015 3:41:37 AM   
Alby

my game has not run right in years, but downloaded windows 10 and now it runs fine
go figure

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 6
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 10/2/2015 5:07:53 PM   
surfcandy

Installed Windows 10 game installs OK but the game screens are cut off at bottom and sides. Tried to resize monitor settings and different resolutions and the game just goes right back to the trouble size of cutting off bottom and sides of screen.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 7
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 10/2/2015 5:19:32 PM   
surfcandy

Fixed it.

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 8
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 10/2/2015 6:52:36 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vin53

Fixed it.

what did you do?
My game doesn't show full screen, has 'black' screen on both sides

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 9
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 2/13/2016 4:28:27 PM   
Macabre

Hi all,

Can someone please share the fix to allow full screen for Win10, I have the black screen on both sides same as mentioned above ? Many thanks

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 10
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 2/13/2016 4:53:54 PM   
Riitaoja2

This is determined in the video driver settings. For example in NVIDIA control panel look for "display" and scaling/aspect ratio settings. Normaly the scaling is set to maintain the aspect ratio. These old games were made when displays were built in 4:3 aspect ratio. Today we have pretty much the standard of 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio.

There are usualy 3 possible settings for display scaling.

1. Aspect ratio. This means that the picture will try to fill the whole screen but still maintains the original aspect ratio. You will get black borders on the sides of the screen but the picture will be scaled correctly.

2. Full screen. This means the picture will fill the whole screen but aspect ratio will be disrecarded. This means that there are no black borders but all the graphics will appear stretched and fat when playing SPWAW on a 16:9 widescreen monitor.

3. No Scaling. This means that the picture will be using the resolution in which it was made. For instance SPWAW would play in a small box using 800x600 resolution in the center of the screen on a modern HD display that has a native resolution of 1920x1080. This is by far the worst option in my oppinion.

I personaly prefer option 1 since I do not want the picture to be stretched.

The example is for Nvidia display drivers but AMD and IntelHD have their own similar settings though their naming may differ.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Riitaoja2 -- 2/13/2016 5:55:01 PM >

(in reply to Macabre)
Post #: 11
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 2/13/2016 5:01:58 PM   
Storm72

Win 10 here on a "Lightweight" AMD Quad Core hunka scrap.

Playing the Enhanced Version SPWaW 2016.

No Artillery issues at all.
No Black Screen.
Am in the middle of a PBEM Game and all is Good.

I spent half my money on Wargames - Women - Booze and Gambling. The other half I wasted.

(in reply to Macabre)
Post #: 12
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 2/13/2016 6:22:47 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja2

This is determined in the video driver settings. For example in NVIDIA control panel look for "display" and scaling/aspect ratio settings. Normaly the scaling is set to maintain the aspect ratio. These old games were made when displays were built in 4:3 aspect ratio. Today we have pretty much the standard of 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio.

There are usualy 3 possible settings for display scaling.

1. Aspect ratio. This means that the picture will try to fill the whole screen but still maintains the original aspect ratio. You will get black borders on the sides of the screen but the picture will be scaled correctly.

2. Full screen. This means the picture will fill the whole screen but aspect ratio will be disrecarded. This means that there are no black borders but all the graphics will appear stretched and fat when playing SPWAW on a 16:9 widescreen monitor.

3. No Scaling. This means that the picture will be using the resolution in which it was made. For instance SPWAW would play in a small box using 800x600 resolution in the center of the screen on a modern HD display that has a native resolution of 1920x1080. This is by far the worst option in my oppinion.

I was fiddling around with that when I connected TV to my desktop PC. Scaling didn't seem to do anything with the TV and edges of the Windows desktop go outside of the TV screen (1366x768). What gives?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Riitaoja2)
Post #: 13
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 2/13/2016 6:49:57 PM   
Riitaoja2

quote:

I was fiddling around with that when I connected TV to my desktop PC. Scaling didn't seem to do anything with the TV and edges of the Windows desktop go outside of the TV screen (1366x768). What gives?

A TV is not necessarily suitable for use as a PC monitor despite being marketed so sometimes.

I assume that you had set your windows desktop resolution to 1366x768 and confirmed that the TV could indeed display at that resolution?

Another thing that could affect this is the connection that is beign used. In general one would connect a TV to a PC with a digital HDMI or DVI connector for best compatibility.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 14
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 2/13/2016 9:00:43 PM   
Macabre

I now have Spwaw up and running with no issues, thanks for the replies and help.

(in reply to Riitaoja2)
Post #: 15
RE: Windows 8.1/10 ? - 2/14/2016 6:29:59 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja2

quote:

A TV is not necessarily suitable for use as a PC monitor despite being marketed so sometimes.

I assume that you had set your windows desktop resolution to 1366x768 and confirmed that the TV could indeed display at that resolution?

According to the manual, maximum PC supported resolution is 1024*768. I fiddled around and got it scale apparently right on the TV, but top & bottom of Windows desktop still goes outside of the screen. Bah, useless!

quote:

Another thing that could affect this is the connection that is beign used. In general one would connect a TV to a PC with a digital HDMI or DVI connector for best compatibility.

HDMI at both ends. I've been told it doesn't change anything if PC end is DVI.

[edit]
Never mind, I just found manual way to change screen size from nVidia settings. Now TV is at 1366*768 and Windows desktop fits the screen. SOB! For some reason Windows resolution setting says 1804*1004! WTF!!?

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 2/14/2016 7:41:56 AM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Riitaoja2)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Windows 8.1/10 ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI