Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Installing mods

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Mods and Scenarios >> Installing mods Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Installing mods - 3/3/2016 12:01:23 AM   
eric0303

Hello everyone. For the life me i cannot find a how to install mods on this game. Could someone please help out an old man?

Many thanks in advance to however responds
Post #: 1
RE: Installing mods - 3/3/2016 12:06:47 AM   
eric0303

found the video

(in reply to eric0303)
Post #: 2
RE: Installing mods - 3/3/2016 1:39:25 AM   
kylania

Here's the video for others, however I'd strongly suggest using JSGME instead of doing it all manually as the video shows. JSGME can be found attached to this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLgekuJL3I4

Attachment (1)

(in reply to eric0303)
Post #: 3
RE: Installing mods - 3/3/2016 2:04:21 AM   
Gerry4321

For some reason I couldn't get JSGME to install JMass's mod or any mod.Under the MODS folder I have the Graphics folder and it has the Terrain.png. Is that correct?

(in reply to kylania)
Post #: 4
RE: Installing mods - 3/3/2016 3:27:27 AM   
kylania

It goes like this:

MODS \ Vasl Counters Mod \ Graphics \ Terrain.png

Then in JSGME you'll see "Vasl Counters Mod" as an option to move right to activate.

So each folder under MODS will be the name you see in JSGME and that folder will be the root game install folder when copied.

So if you just have MODS\Graphics\Terrain.png when you activate "Graphics" in JSGME you're just copying Terrain.png into the root game folder.

Also it's good to take a snapshot before starting to activate anything, so you have a known baseline to recover to should you need it.

< Message edited by kylania -- 3/3/2016 3:28:30 AM >

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 5
RE: Installing mods - 3/3/2016 4:07:52 AM   
Gerry4321

Thanks very much for your help. It worked.

(in reply to kylania)
Post #: 6
RE: Installing mods - 3/3/2016 9:24:34 AM   
Connections

As a follow up to the above, not quite sure which part of the downloaded Mod I put into the JSGME folder?
Do I just put the 'graphics' file in or break it down to 'terrain' and then put that in? Putting the 'graphics' file
into Mod folder and activating it doesn't do anything! I would like to use JSGME but can't get a handle on it yet.
Any help appreciated.

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 7
RE: Installing mods - 3/3/2016 12:59:28 PM   
kylania

The problem you're having is that the VASL mod download isn't designed for easy JSGME use.

First step is to install JSGME into the same folder that TotH is installed in. This will create a JSGME.exe file inside that folder. Run that file and it will ask you to confirm that you want to create a MODS folder. Let it do that.

Now you'll have a folder called MODS in your TotH folder. Inside that folder you'll create folders for each mod you want to use. So for example, create a folder called VASL (so the path would be Matrix Games\Tigers on the Hunt\MODS\VASL). Inside that folder you'll put the modified files you want.

So you'd open the JM_TotH_VASL_small_markers_mod_v1.1.zip file (or whichever you downloaded) and you'll see a Graphics folder inside. Drag that folder into the Matrix Games\Tigers on the Hunt\MODS\VASL folder. Then close and restart JSGME.exe and you'll now see VASL listed on the left. Highlight it, click the > arrow button to move it to the right side and your counters will be active!

Please let me know if this works for you or if you have additional questions.

Ideally the mod author would have started their zip file with a VASL folder, so all you'd have to do is open the zip file and drag their folder over to the MODs folder saving you from having to create a folder first for their mod.

JSGME is far superior to manually doing this since it will automatically create backups for you as it copies things over and will warn you if you're replacing a file that another mod has overwritten. Especially since this game keeps it's counters, markers and terrain all in a single file it would be very easy to accidentally overwrite an earlier change or accidentally backup a modified version of that file forgetting that you'd already copied something over. Also swapping mods is as easy as clicking a button, so you can swap between counter mods effortlessly.

(in reply to Connections)
Post #: 8
RE: Installing mods - 3/3/2016 4:45:05 PM   
Connections

Thanks Kylania, you're a star sir!
Following your clear instructions it works like a dream.
I shall be using this in future that's for sure.
Cheers!

(in reply to kylania)
Post #: 9
RE: Installing mods - 3/4/2016 6:17:12 PM   
bosbes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kylania

The problem you're having is that the VASL mod download isn't designed for easy JSGME use.

First step is to install JSGME into the same folder that TotH is installed in. This will create a JSGME.exe file inside that folder. Run that file and it will ask you to confirm that you want to create a MODS folder. Let it do that.

Now you'll have a folder called MODS in your TotH folder. Inside that folder you'll create folders for each mod you want to use. So for example, create a folder called VASL (so the path would be Matrix Games\Tigers on the Hunt\MODS\VASL). Inside that folder you'll put the modified files you want.

So you'd open the JM_TotH_VASL_small_markers_mod_v1.1.zip file (or whichever you downloaded) and you'll see a Graphics folder inside. Drag that folder into the Matrix Games\Tigers on the Hunt\MODS\VASL folder. Then close and restart JSGME.exe and you'll now see VASL listed on the left. Highlight it, click the > arrow button to move it to the right side and your counters will be active!

Please let me know if this works for you or if you have additional questions.

Ideally the mod author would have started their zip file with a VASL folder, so all you'd have to do is open the zip file and drag their folder over to the MODs folder saving you from having to create a folder first for their mod.

JSGME is far superior to manually doing this since it will automatically create backups for you as it copies things over and will warn you if you're replacing a file that another mod has overwritten. Especially since this game keeps it's counters, markers and terrain all in a single file it would be very easy to accidentally overwrite an earlier change or accidentally backup a modified version of that file forgetting that you'd already copied something over. Also swapping mods is as easy as clicking a button, so you can swap between counter mods effortlessly.

Sorry, did what you said, but I still have to drag the graphics icon manually to the TOTH graphics folder. In doing that, I get the message that I have to have administrator rights to move the graphics folder (the VASL file). I didn't do that yet because I want to get to know the game first before I do this.

(in reply to kylania)
Post #: 10
RE: Installing mods - 3/4/2016 9:29:00 PM   
kylania

quote:

ORIGINAL: hoe ist?
In doing that, I get the message that I have to have administrator rights to move the graphics folder (the VASL file). I didn't do that yet because I want to get to know the game first before I do this.

That's probably because you installed to the default folder under Program Files. If you uninstall the program and install to C:\Matrix Games\Tigers on the Hunt you won't run into that problem any longer.

(in reply to bosbes)
Post #: 11
RE: Installing mods - 3/5/2016 1:17:35 PM   
bosbes

Can't do that because my c disk is almost 'full'. Have installed it into one of my other disks. You can't imagine how many games I've already installed on my pc....

(in reply to kylania)
Post #: 12
RE: Installing mods - 3/6/2016 1:33:46 AM   
Noypi53

Can JSGME also be used to install maps & scenarios? Or, is it exclusively for mods only?

(in reply to bosbes)
Post #: 13
RE: Installing mods - 3/6/2016 5:19:54 AM   
kylania

All JSGME does is copy files. It backs up what's there (if anything) and replaces it with what you want. So it's prefect for maps and scenarios. :)

(in reply to Noypi53)
Post #: 14
RE: Installing mods - 3/6/2016 6:08:53 AM   
Gerry4321

Question - it seems to make more sense to me for mods as with maps and scenarios you can just copy them? You are not swapping anything, just adding to the existing list of maps and scenarios.

(in reply to kylania)
Post #: 15
RE: Installing mods - 3/6/2016 2:55:36 PM   
kylania

It's about preserving the initial install state. With JSGME you can click the << arrow and revert all changes you made to the game and back up all files you adjusted/added/whatever by simply moving the MODS folder somewhere.

If you're manually copying scenarios over you have to remember which are yours and that you put them there in the first place. If you're doing everything manually you will screw up at some point and copy over something you didn't mean to. JSGME gives you a way to avoid that.

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Mods and Scenarios >> Installing mods Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI