Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

feature request - AIS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> feature request - AIS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
feature request - AIS - 4/9/2016 9:50:14 PM   
RoccoNZ

Spitballing a bit here, but I figured I'd throw the idea out there as a potential enhancement for civilian traffic.

Civilian ships and aircraft can be fitted with an AIS system that allows other vessels to receive broadcast information with speed, heading, destination, activity (i.e. fishing, under tow etc) etc.

I'd like to see this considered as a future enhancement (maybe controlled via EMCON).

Potential uses - civilian traffic in larger scenarios allowing suitably equipped friendly forces distinguish between 'known unknowns' and 'unknown unknowns.'
Post #: 1
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/9/2016 9:58:12 PM   
mikmykWS

We know what AIS is

Couple of ways you can pretty much model it in the game

1)Open up the side dialog you'll see a setting called "can auto track civilians"

Or if you assume a military is using it.

2)Open the editor, switch sides, select units you want to be detected, right click, scenario editor and select unit is autodetectable.

There are a few settings you could play with as well or even add a side called AIS.

Tons of ways to do this.

Mike

(in reply to RoccoNZ)
Post #: 2
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/9/2016 10:00:26 PM   
thewood1

Why the heck do people keep putting feature requests here (with the title Feature Request). There is a thread right at the top for them. The devs have asked several times to consolidate them there.

I'm not even sure this is a feature request, other than the title.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 3
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/9/2016 10:00:40 PM   
RoccoNZ

I'm sure you do Mikmyk....comment was more for people with an encyclopaedic knowledge :-)

Is there any practical way to broadcast destination info?

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/9/2016 10:37:41 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoccoNZ

I'm sure you do Mikmyk....comment was more for people with an encyclopaedic knowledge :-)

Is there any practical way to broadcast destination info?

You could add it to the name or something like that. Not sure we even weighed the value of doing that.

Mike

(in reply to RoccoNZ)
Post #: 5
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 1:28:11 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Why the heck do people keep putting feature requests here (with the title Feature Request). There is a thread right at the top for them. The devs have asked several times to consolidate them there.

Problem is, thread in question is POLL and says so in topic. People who do not know what it is for cannot easily deduct that topic in question can be used for Feature Requests. It is not very productive to accuse people not to be "psychics".

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 1:55:44 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

Problem is, thread in question is POLL and says so in topic. People who do not know what it is for cannot easily deduct that topic in question can be used for Feature Requests. It is not very productive to accuse people not to be "psychics".

Ok added [Feature Requests Go Here] so it is clear.

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 4/11/2016 1:56:49 PM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 7
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 2:14:55 PM   
Sardaukar

Thanks Myk! That should clear things a lot.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 8
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 2:34:30 PM   
thewood1

Because , ya know, actually checking out the thread with title game feature poll and has 17 pages to see if at least the particular features had been mentioned before is so much more difficult than throwing up the third feature request thread in a couple weeks. If you were looking for a specific feature, wouldn't you at least check that thread out first. And then see that people were requesting there?

Really? Your argument is worse than just saying you missed it. And beyond that, a quick search to see if had been mentioned would probably take no more time than creating a whole new thread.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 9
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 2:38:03 PM   
thewood1

Just to be complete...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3845738&mpage=1&key=civilian�

Look at the time between my posts...that is how long it took me to search...maybe 15 seconds.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 10
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 2:40:32 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

Because , ya know, actually checking out the thread with title game feature poll and has 17 pages to see if at least the particular features had been mentioned before is so much more difficult than throwing up the third feature request thread in a couple weeks. If you were looking for a specific feature, wouldn't you at least check that thread out first. And then see that people were requesting there?

Really? Your argument is worse than just saying you missed it. And beyond that, a quick search to see if had been mentioned would probably take no more time than creating a whole new thread.

I was not talking about myself. Of course I know about that thread. But it was definitely difficult to spot it for many posters, thus they posted feature requests in separate threads. Now that Myk changed the topic name, it should be lot easier for new players.

I don't find your incredible hostility towards other posters, especially to those who are new to forum, to be any help to anyone. You should be helpful towards new players, instead of castigating them for missing thread that clearly said "Poll". If you want to be a forum moderator, apply for the job.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 11
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 2:43:20 PM   
mercho

Well said Sardaukar. What you write is exactly what many feel refering that one person... ;-)

Eine von einem Löwen geführte Armee von Rehen ist gefährlicher als eine von einem Reh geführte Armee von Löwen.

An army of deers led by a lion is more dangerous than an army of lions led by a deer. (Plutarch AD 46 – AD 120)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 12
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 2:53:47 PM   
thewood1

My "hostility" comes from too many people wanting others to do the work for them. Instead of coming into a new forum, looking around, reading a little, etc., they come in and start posting with no regard to wasting the devs' time. I typically try to help first by pointing out where they can find information. I only start getting truly blunt when someone isn't will to do a little work beyond creating more work for someone else.

This is mostly a pretty good crowd of people who know the devs are working other jobs and every moment wasted answering a stupid question for someone not willing to find something themselves is time not spent improving the game. I have seen them deal with this coming up on three years.

How many people do we see come in and ask questions and make feature requests without doing even just a little basic leg work. Not reading the manual, FAQ, or stickied threads. Not playing the tutorials or simple scenarios. Wanting to be bug hunting heroes. Or think every arcane unit in the world has to be included. Its not a lot, but they have a pattern. I just try to short-circuit it before the devs waste too uch time on it.

All I can say is if you don't like, let the devs know or put me on ignore...which I am more than happy for you to do.

(in reply to mercho)
Post #: 13
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 3:20:33 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

I was not talking about myself. Of course I know about that thread. But it was definitely difficult to spot it for many posters, thus they posted feature requests in separate threads. Now that Myk changed the topic name, it should be lot easier for new players.

I don't find your incredible hostility towards other posters, especially to those who are new to forum, to be any help to anyone. You should be helpful towards new players, instead of castigating them for missing thread that clearly said "Poll". If you want to be a forum moderator, apply for the job.

Not sure it was a real good use of my time though. We could actually use a moderator I think. We'll think about this.

Mike

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 14
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 3:22:59 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: mercho

Well said Sardaukar. What you write is exactly what many feel refering that one person... ;-)

Fan of a good ole fashion forum pigpile huh?

We like all of you. The Wood too

(in reply to mercho)
Post #: 15
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 3:40:13 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

quote:

ORIGINAL: mercho

Fan of a good ole fashion forum pigpile huh?

We like all of you. The Wood too

Nah...I just don't like hostility. Maybe extra moderator would be helpful on forum, since you devs have lot of other things to do. And, no..I am not volunteering!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 16
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 4:04:45 PM   
mikmykWS

If you don't like hostility I would suggest not looking for it.

Mike

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 17
RE: feature request - AIS - 4/11/2016 5:55:44 PM   
Gizzmoe

quote:

I just try to short-circuit it before the devs waste too uch time on it.

I say that without sarcasm or irony, it is very good that you do that, a forum needs someone like you! Without a doubt you mean it very well, it is just that sometimes you appear very harsh, at times judgemental and even condescending. I can totally live with that, but IMO it's not good for the forum climate.

Very sincere. Alright I'm locking this string down. Goal accomplished and I don't want it to go where it's going

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 4/11/2016 6:04:52 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> feature request - AIS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI