Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Bombardment Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Naval Bombardment Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Bombardment Questions - 4/18/2016 11:40:46 PM   
Rusty1961

1. Is there an advantage to bombarding by day vs. night? It would seem one would get superior results bombing in broad daylight.

2. Does one only need 1-spotter play for the entire Bombardment TF or one for each ship to gain the optimum results?
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Bombardment Questions - 4/19/2016 12:03:17 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

1. Is there an advantage to bombarding by day vs. night? It would seem one would get superior results bombing in broad daylight.

The night helps shield you from air opposition.

2. Does one only need 1-spotter play for the entire Bombardment TF or one for each ship to gain the optimum results?

Only one needed.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Bombardment Questions - 4/19/2016 12:05:01 AM   
geofflambert

I believe that decision is up to the tactical commander. If there is a danger that the bombarding TF will be attacked from the air in daylight, they will bombard at night and flee. I think generally bombardments occurred at night. Spotting aircraft may operate at night, I don't know how weather affects that. I think one spotting aircraft at a time from one TF is what happens, in any case that also is out of your hands. Also in my experience the spotting aircraft need not be set to night operations for them to do their job.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval Bombardment Questions - 4/19/2016 12:13:52 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Also in my experience the spotting aircraft need not be set to night operations for them to do their job.

That is contrary to my experience. The only time I see a spotting A/C in a night bombardment is when I have them set to operate at night. Trust me I've forgotten plenty of times. Yes, the A/C may not have operated for various reasons, but I've never seen planes set to day operations spot at night. Now that I think of it though, my float planes are always assigned to some task so maybe that's why. I'll have to test this when I get a chance.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval Bombardment Questions - 4/19/2016 1:08:13 AM   
Rusty1961

Let me re-phrase.

I don't "need" to come in at night as the opponent is not contesting the airspace-I have superiority.

Thus, should I try from a day-light bombardment to enhance, if it does enhance, said bombardment.

Thanks guy.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 5
RE: Naval Bombardment Questions - 4/19/2016 1:47:47 AM   
dcpollay

If the base is enemy held, I believe the AI will attempt to do a night bombardment with a full-speed run-in and -out. You may need to manipulate your task force to force them to arrive in daylight.

Frankly, I'm not sure how to do that.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 6
RE: Naval Bombardment Questions - 4/19/2016 3:49:21 AM   
crsutton

You use the "remain on station" command and the TF will remain in the target hex and bombard in daylight the following day rather than at night. If you use the retirement command the TF always bombards at night and should retire. DL is important to results and the chances are that your DL will be higher in daylight especially if you target a lot of recon over the hex. The only drawback is that you are stuck there for the full daylight turn if there is air around of if the enemy carriers show up.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 7
RE: Naval Bombardment Questions - 4/19/2016 4:07:07 AM   
Rusty1961

Thank you, CR!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 8
RE: Naval Bombardment Questions - 4/19/2016 8:05:56 AM   
Leandros

One learns something every day. I was under the impression that spotting was automatic during bombardments, even if I mean to remember to have been
notified in the combat report about actual spotting - other times not....Would that be correct?

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 9
RE: Naval Bombardment Questions - 4/19/2016 8:17:41 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Also in my experience the spotting aircraft need not be set to night operations for them to do their job.

That is contrary to my experience. The only time I see a spotting A/C in a night bombardment is when I have them set to operate at night. Trust me I've forgotten plenty of times. Yes, the A/C may not have operated for various reasons, but I've never seen planes set to day operations spot at night. Now that I think of it though, my float planes are always assigned to some task so maybe that's why. I'll have to test this when I get a chance.

This is correct.

The way to go to max chances for your spotter plane to show up on your nightly bombardement run is to set it to night ops, set it to recon on target hex, set range 0 (that is not neccesarily required on 1 day turn games, I use it to prvent unwanted fatigue buildup on 2 day turn games).

PS: Spotter planes will simply result in increasing the DL of the target hex, so more is better.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Naval Bombardment Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI