Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[REL] Sea of Stars - Ship Symbols v1.0

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> [REL] Sea of Stars - Ship Symbols v1.0 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[REL] Sea of Stars - Ship Symbols v1.0 - 5/19/2016 1:33:36 PM   
Drybreeze

Hiya,

I'm working on a decent sized mod which is taking awhile as some forum readers probably know.

Part of it is that I wanted to clean up the galaxy view... default ship symbols for civilian ships really clutter things up a lot, but I think it's important to keep them there still.

I also wanted to separate them from each other, so that you could easily tell miners from passenger ships and freighters at a glance.

Most importantly I wanted them all to take a back-seat to military vessels and fleets, so that it became simpler to see your military ships at a glance.

The end result is this:

The smaller dots (when you get almost all the way in you will see they have little cross hairs on them also) are freighters... they form nice neat little bee lines of dots marching back and forth like the lovely little worker ants they are.

The small circles with vertical cross-hairs are passenger liners, so you can see at a glance where your people are moving between and how under-threat those logistics lines are.

The small circle with diagonal cross-hairs are mining vessels, so it becomes much easier to see the difference between them and mining stations in galaxy view now.

I may also alter builder and exploration vessel symbols in the future but for now I'm experimenting with this layout and I'm happy enough to release it as a stand-alone mod for you good folks to comment on. It will form part of the overall Sea Of Stars mod when it's released.

Just download the attached file, unzip and copy (and over-write) the contents into the folder of the mod(s) you want to alter, or the default game's folder as follows:

To alter the symbols within one of your mods:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\[YOUR MOD NAME]\images\ui\shipsymbols

To alter the ship symbols of your default game:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\images\ui\shipsymbols

It goes without saying that you should always back up your originals first.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: [REL] Sea of Stars - Ship Symbols v1.0 - 5/19/2016 9:01:21 PM   
phi6

Excellent, I love it. And goes really well with these alternate "hovering" ship symbols as well
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3871739&mpage=1&key=ship%2Csymbols�

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 2
RE: [REL] Sea of Stars - Ship Symbols v1.0 - 5/19/2016 9:18:55 PM   
Radishgast

Cool stuff! I'll try this out. I agree that the default symbols for civilians always made the map extremely cluttered.

(in reply to phi6)
Post #: 3
RE: [REL] Sea of Stars - Ship Symbols v1.0 - 5/19/2016 9:53:30 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

great !!!

(in reply to Radishgast)
Post #: 4
RE: [REL] Sea of Stars - Ship Symbols v1.0 - 5/24/2016 11:27:16 PM   
Radishgast

Just wanted to drop into this thread again to say what a beautiful little gem this graphic mod is! Thank you so much for posting this.

Now the map isn't insanely cluttered, but I still get the feel of a sprawling, vibrant empire with all my little civilian worker bees zooming around. <3 <3 <3

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 5
RE: [REL] Sea of Stars - Ship Symbols v1.0 - 5/25/2016 9:12:50 AM   
Drybreeze

Thank you guys, I'm glad that you find it useful!
I am currently playing with altering fleet icons and other icons but I haven't got anything I'm totally happy with yet.

(in reply to Radishgast)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> [REL] Sea of Stars - Ship Symbols v1.0 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI