Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ideal designs guide?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ideal designs guide? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ideal designs guide? - 5/30/2016 10:22:34 PM   
Malsanity

Some youtubers (example: TortugaPower) make reference to a PDF that has ideal designs, especially for a new game, with the ideal setups for stations and ships, with all the math.

Has anyone got it handy?

I would love to take a look at it!

< Message edited by Malsanity -- 5/30/2016 10:24:33 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Ideal designs guide? - 5/31/2016 2:27:16 AM   
Premislaus

I don't know about this document, but you can check designs files from AI Mod by Icemania.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3647528

Some tips:

2x more docking bays in Gas Mining Station (better fuelling).
You must to have "9" with mining and luxury extraction (some bonus).
It's best to focus on only one weapon (early and mid game).
No cargo bays on ports, because ports shares storage space with planets.

The default projects are not effective, but they have an advantage, because you also incur losses during the war ;).

https://www.reddit.com/r/4Xgaming/comments/2rjlav/distant_worlds_indepth_ship_design_guide/

< Message edited by Premislaus -- 5/31/2016 2:45:38 AM >

(in reply to Malsanity)
Post #: 2
RE: Ideal designs guide? - 5/31/2016 8:45:43 AM   
Malsanity

A list with ideal designs would be better for a newb like me :)

(in reply to Premislaus)
Post #: 3
RE: Ideal designs guide? - 5/31/2016 8:48:33 AM   
Bingeling

A newb like you should probably manage just fine with default designs :) If you do not, keep in mind that the AI that beat you would use default designs...

(in reply to Malsanity)
Post #: 4
RE: Ideal designs guide? - 6/1/2016 2:35:16 AM   
Premislaus

@Malsanity

I think there is no such thing like "ideal design". I'm mostly playing on extreme and chaos, with very expensive research and full pirates (average distance), and monsters (from start). Additional everything starts with prewarp, mimimum number of planets and alien life. Yeah you can easily win with this game, but play styles are different, because you can choose races, governements, and you have different spawn in every new game. For example, I know that when I landed on the moon of a gas giant, I will not have problems with fuel. DW is hard and unforgiving. I don't have problems with Teekan, Haakonish - good economy. I experience troubles with empires that have a low birth rate, lack of bonuses to the economy - then I play on the default designs.

Yesterday I played and I did a cool projects for the size of the x160, the beginning of the game - civil stations and ships, but not military. You can check for your own, "cheap" and fast ships - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxfU61SfLpMjbUl0OUk0YnhVWmc - you don't need military before warp. Paste it in - C:\Users\***\Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe\Settings.

But when I made designs for the size of the x300, my economy went bankrupt.

x160 small freighter

x300 small freighter

< Message edited by Premislaus -- 6/1/2016 2:40:00 AM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 5
RE: Ideal designs guide? - 6/1/2016 11:33:47 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

I find icemania's ai designs to be very workable and much better than the vanilla game. He did a refresh of the common designs so you can just let them be as you focus on specialty space stations and warships for specific tactical situations as the ai builds and runs the bulk of your private and state fleet.

(in reply to Premislaus)
Post #: 6
RE: Ideal designs guide? - 6/3/2016 9:01:14 PM   
tortugapower

Sorry for the delayed response to this. I think Malsanity mistook the PDF I refer to in my tutorial series on YouTube for some community-generated, all-encompassing guide to Distant Worlds. Unfortunately, it's just a simple LaTex document that I made for myself haha...

Anyway, it's so incomplete as to be laughable, so I'm just going to link to the thread on Reddit. Once I actually take the time to make it, ideally including much of the guide info from Icemania's thread (expected date of completion: never), I'll post it here "for real".

For now: link to the reddit thread.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ideal designs guide? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI