Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Moving SU's when support is locked

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Moving SU's when support is locked Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving SU's when support is locked - 7/21/2016 4:37:37 PM   
Aditia

What is the most efficient way of moving around SU's from a corp HQ in 1 Army Group to a corp HQ in another?

Do you send them back to OKH first and does it then become available for assignment to any corp HQ the next turn? Or does it need to go to an Army (group) first?

What about SU's to directly attach to a division, where do they need to be?
Post #: 1
RE: Moving SU's when support is locked - 7/21/2016 5:55:28 PM   
Dinglir

If you know which corp you want the SU to go to and it is "within range" when clicking the assign function, then assign them directly.

Whenever you let the SU go "up" or sideways in the HQ order, it will cost you Admin Points. To assign from HQ to subordinate HQ cost nothing. There are limits on which HQ's can assign downwards though (based on command range and movement points I guess).

You can't assign Artillery to divisions, nor can you assign "heavy" stuff (such as stugs) to luftlande divisions. You can not assign LW flak units to divisions, so these must be kept on HQ's.

Be aware that you can not in general use more than six su's from an HQ to a given combat, so having 10 combat su's assigned to the same HQ might not be the best way of using them.

Personally, I think you need to assign SU's depending on the job you expect the divisions to do. If you plan on attacking Leningrad or heavily fortified positions, I'd say assigning Pioneers is a good idea. If you plan to dig in, use a few construction SU's to help you along.

Also be careful to notice if your SU is motorised or not. If assigning a non motorised SU to an HQ you expect to be moving around a lot will cost you in regards to your motor pool (if I understand this game correctly).

Pioneers and construction su's can also help building fortifications which is a good thing to keep in mind when winter is approaching (especially if playing with full blizzard).

Assign your AT guns and tank destroyer to units you expect will be facing a lot of tanks.

Plan for the assignment of your flak batallions (in fact, plan for the asignment of all SU's). There are a lot of them around, and they vary greatly in size and some are motorised, some are not.

The flammpanzers are few but powerful. Use them well.

I think I will stop this ranting about SU assignments covering a lot of questions you didn't ask.

Just one final piece of advice:

If you ever play me, please assign all SU's to OKH and leave them there.

To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra

(in reply to Aditia)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving SU's when support is locked - 7/21/2016 7:07:14 PM   
Balou

To make a long story short:
send SU back to OKH at a cost of 1 AP
next turn reassign it from OKH for free.

Of course there's another way, but it's a lot of micromanagement. It also depends on what SUs you want to move (pioneers and constr bns won't move for free).

< Message edited by Balou -- 7/21/2016 7:10:16 PM >

(in reply to Aditia)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving SU's when support is locked - 7/21/2016 7:33:32 PM   
morvael

All SUs move for 1 AP unless moving down. If target HQ is close to source HQ you can use direct reassignment, to have the SU at destination one turn earlier.
Otherwise it's best to move to highest possible HQ in order to have free reassignment anywhere on the next turn.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving SU's when support is locked - 7/21/2016 9:00:39 PM   
Aditia

Thanks once again :)

Last question on this topic: When attaching SU's directly to a combat unit, will that SU always come from the parent HQ?

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 5
RE: Moving SU's when support is locked - 7/21/2016 10:01:23 PM   
swkuh

in re last Q: SU to divisions may come from any available, but when released from division, will only go to parent HQ. Until good reasons are found keep SUs at corps or higher HQs.

Possible SU strategy would be to set commitment level of HQs to zero (but OKW=9) and let them all collect to OKW. Then reassign from OKW as desired. No admin points are charged.

(in reply to Aditia)
Post #: 6
RE: Moving SU's when support is locked - 7/22/2016 12:13:57 PM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Until good reasons are found keep SUs at corps or higher HQs.

Pioneers or Stugs or FlammPz, I like to have them attached directly to divisions eg before 'crucial' attacks. If attached to Corps HQ, it may depend on the leaders initiative rating whether or not they are deployed in combat.

quote:

Possible SU strategy would be to set commitment level of HQs to zero (but OKW=9) and let them all collect to OKW. Then reassign from OKW as desired. No admin points are charged.

.. and to LOCK HQ after reassignement, otherwise they could move back to OKH in between turns.

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Moving SU's when support is locked Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI