Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows 10 upgrade he!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Windows 10 upgrade he!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/3/2016 3:02:34 AM   
Lowpe

Five computers in this household, 4 users, are going thru windows upgrades.

What joy. Unpacking and installing the upgrade seems quite long...maybe an hour or close to it.

What is microsoft thinking when you can't schedule this? Or am I missing something?

PS: Closing in on two hours now and still only 91 percent done.

What joy...

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/3/2016 3:36:10 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/3/2016 4:23:00 AM   
crsutton

Plus you are going to have to tweak you game. It really screws with performance until you do so. That said, it is otherwise not a bad OS>

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/3/2016 12:40:21 PM   
hedotwo

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Plus you are going to have to tweak you game. It really screws with performance until you do so. That said, it is otherwise not a bad OS>

I have to agree. I had to mess with the game switches for a bit, but once that was sorted out things work great. Windows 10 is much faster than the Windows 7 it replaced on my laptop. I like it other than not having a say in what updates are spoon fed to us any longer.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/3/2016 4:05:39 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I had to reset my privacy settings too, as some of them had changed.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/3/2016 5:52:43 PM   
Lowpe

Well, lets see.

This upgrade broke all non Microsoft game controllers. What joy.

In addition there seems to be complete antivirus competition/conflicts between defender and other av software.

There is no workaround that my son can find...and he says there are rumors they are going to somehow break Steam in the future.

We wanted to play a family game of Rayman Legends last night and stuck with another upgrade for call of duty.

I am becoming vehemently anti Microsoft.

I am using my monitors upside down as a sign of protest...like flying your flag.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/3/2016 5:55:29 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/3/2016 8:54:08 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Well, lets see.

This upgrade broke all non Microsoft game controllers. What joy.

In addition there seems to be complete antivirus competition/conflicts between defender and other av software.

There is no workaround that my son can find...and he says there are rumors they are going to somehow break Steam in the future.

We wanted to play a family game of Rayman Legends last night and stuck with another upgrade for call of duty.

I am using my monitors upside down as a sign of protest...like flying your flag.

You know, Lowpe, we're way past the time when sons can figure this stuff out, you need to move on to grandsons.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 6
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/3/2016 10:41:49 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Always was, always will be. I just have to put up with the b******* because my choices are limited, and at times there are none.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 7
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 12:00:38 AM   
mussey

Monopoly. Where's TR when you need him? But alas, the man and his times are gone.

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 8
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 3:40:28 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: mussey

Monopoly. Where's TR when you need him? But alas, the man and his times are gone.

Grover Cleveland was your guy. TR was his understudy (on that, even though they were from opposing parties). I'm not saying anything against TR, he absolutely is the guy I would pick to be the fourth guy on that mountain.

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 9
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 3:46:55 AM   
geofflambert

We are so fortunate that the megalomaniac who decided we needed to turn a mountain into a monument for some presidents picked the four guys he did. I'm really not using the term "megalomaniac" in as negative a light as you might think. Only one of those could have thunk up such a project and made sure it happened.

Post #: 10
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 3:56:07 AM   
geofflambert

TR was an amazing fellow. Although he might have come to trust busting after GC started it, TR did so many amazing things that no president before him ever imagined. I've never seen anything from Winnie regarding TR, but if you study them they were two birds of a feather indeed.

Post #: 11
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 4:20:52 AM   
rustysi

Yeah, IIRC Taft after him was the real (who ya gonna call) 'trust buster'.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 12
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 4:28:51 AM   
wdolson

I suspect Microsoft will be becoming a much humbler company in the near future. Windows still dominates the desktop and laptop market, but the only people who use desktops today are corporate users and bleeding edge gamers. Laptops are declining too as tablet computers are replacing laptops for many applications.

I'm a fossil who still used desktops daily. I have an iPad but I rarely use it and the laptop only gets booted when I travel. But I'm a rarity these days.

I need to run Windows for the development tools I run daily, but if it wasn't for that, I'd be transitioning to Linux. As it is I use Win 7 and will continue to do so until it pretty much becomes impossible. I only switched from XP a year ago.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 13
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 5:57:53 AM   
CaptDave

Pretty much the only reason I'm not on Linux at this point is because of work software (nobody has yet written tax software for Linux, and when it comes to accounting programs Intuit has brainwashed everyone to the same extent Microsoft has with everything else). I'm 7 years removed from my UNIX admin days, but it would come back in less than 24 hours (I can still program in COBOL and FORTRAN, too).

I'll have my laptop forever, though. To me, cloud computing is a regression to mainframe days. Besides, I want access to my software and data 24/7, whether or not there's internet access available.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 14
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 6:23:25 AM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I suspect Microsoft will be becoming a much humbler company in the near future. Windows still dominates the desktop and laptop market, but the only people who use desktops today are corporate users and bleeding edge gamers. Laptops are declining too as tablet computers are replacing laptops for many applications.

I'm a fossil who still used desktops daily. I have an iPad but I rarely use it and the laptop only gets booted when I travel. But I'm a rarity these days.

I need to run Windows for the development tools I run daily, but if it wasn't for that, I'd be transitioning to Linux. As it is I use Win 7 and will continue to do so until it pretty much becomes impossible. I only switched from XP a year ago.

Sir, you gave up your Win XP???

"..from my cold, dead hands!"

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 15
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 6:32:48 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

Pretty much the only reason I'm not on Linux at this point is because of work software (nobody has yet written tax software for Linux, and when it comes to accounting programs Intuit has brainwashed everyone to the same extent Microsoft has with everything else). I'm 7 years removed from my UNIX admin days, but it would come back in less than 24 hours (I can still program in COBOL and FORTRAN, too).

I'll have my laptop forever, though. To me, cloud computing is a regression to mainframe days. Besides, I want access to my software and data 24/7, whether or not there's internet access available.

Linux has WINE which is good enough to run AE. I would think some effort has gone into getting Intuit programs to work under WINE, they are pretty common.

Linux also has an emulator like Parallels on the Mac, though you need to install Windows there.

Bill

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 16
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 6:34:57 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab
Sir, you gave up your Win XP???

"..from my cold, dead hands!"

I wasn't happy, switching and Microsoft thoroughly broke Windows Explorer after XP, which I use a lot. I had to find a third party alternative, which is OK, but not as good as what was available for XP.

Bill

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 17
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 7:02:28 AM   
witpqs

Yeah but, Bill, didn't they have to pry punched cards out of your hands, too?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 18
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 7:32:13 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I'm not quite that old. There was a vending machine with punch cards in my department, but I don't think they had a machine that could use them. If they did, I never saw it.

Now on my first assignment in the corporate world did involve using a development system with 8 inch floppy drives. I was writing assembly for Z-80 processors.

Bill

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 19
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 8:28:02 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I'm not quite that old. There was a vending machine with punch cards in my department, but I don't think they had a machine that could use them. If they did, I never saw it.

Now on my first assignment in the corporate world did involve using a development system with 8 inch floppy drives. I was writing assembly for Z-80 processors.

Bill

You don't know what you missed. Seeing a guy drop a box of punch cards and then put them back in order...

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 20
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 9:09:01 AM   
zakblood

Fresh release build number and version of windows released

called Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Windows 10 Version 1607

August 2, 2016 (OS Build 14393.10)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 8/4/2016 9:10:56 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 21
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 1:04:27 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

I'm pretty sure I could still take a stack of punch cards, load them in a reader and watch them go clickety clack. BASIC was the only thing I was really good at, and my memories of that are fading into the misty mist of the dusky dusk.

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 22
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 1:08:29 PM   
geofflambert

How much I wish I could go back to those FORTRAN days and issue commands to other forumites like GO and STOP!

Post #: 23
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 1:16:56 PM   
geofflambert

You know, in the days of the punch cards, there was an extremely important accessory you needed they used to call "rubber bands" if I remember correctly. Oh, wait, I hear that the USPS still uses those, they drop them on my porch every flippin' day. Just like government, still operating in the Medieval period.

Post #: 24
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 1:32:29 PM   
Yaab

If you punched a card the wrong way, was that considered a sucker punch?

Post #: 25
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 1:48:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

How much I wish I could go back to those FORTRAN days and issue commands to other forumites like GO and STOP!

WATFOR?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 26
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 2:53:04 PM   
mussey

But Teddy used a bigger stick.

< Message edited by mussey -- 8/4/2016 2:54:10 PM >

Col. Mussbu

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 27
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 2:54:45 PM   
mussey

this:

Attachment (1)

Col. Mussbu

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 28
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 2:57:39 PM   
mussey

He had a whip too.

Attachment (1)

Col. Mussbu

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 29
RE: Windows 10 upgrade he!! - 8/4/2016 3:03:14 PM   
mussey

Not a bad wrestler either.

Attachment (1)

Col. Mussbu

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Windows 10 upgrade he!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI