Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 10/21/2012 4:22:16 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

Hi all,

I would have sworn that there was an AAR/walk through for one or both of these small scenarios posted, but now that I have some time to once again spend some time with this game and the latest update, I cannot find them.

Am I mis-remembering?

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
Post #: 1
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 10/22/2012 11:40:56 AM   
mikkey

+1
I found this useful Guadalcanal AAR from early version of AE

< Message edited by mikkey -- 10/22/2012 11:41:25 AM >

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 2
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 10/22/2012 11:47:05 AM   
Puhis

Coral sea walktrough

Allies:
1) Form a carrier TF
2) Sink japanese carriers
3) Sink japanese transports

Japan:
1) Form a carrier TF
2) Sink USN carriers
3) Capture Port Moresby

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 3
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 10/22/2012 6:58:56 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

Coral sea walktrough

Allies:
1) Form a carrier TF
2) Sink japanese carriers
3) Sink japanese transports

Japan:
1) Form a carrier TF
2) Sink USN carriers
3) Capture Port Moresby

Ah.

I missed points 1-3 inclusive. ;)

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

One ping to link them;

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 4
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 10/22/2012 6:59:12 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

Thanks!

One ping to link them;

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 5
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 10/23/2012 8:08:11 AM   
henhute6

quote:

Japan:
1) Form a carrier TF
2) Sink USN carriers
3) Capture Port Moresby

Not enough troops to capture Port Moresby. I recaptured Lunga and Tulagi and took Milne Bay and then ended the scenario.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 6
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 10/23/2012 9:15:22 AM   
kevin_hx

It's enough to capture PM with original troops on transports TF.

(in reply to henhute6)
Post #: 7
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 10/23/2012 10:47:07 AM   
Puhis

Coral Sea is pretty straightforward tiny scenario. Basicly both sides have only one goal. It's more like a tutorial.

Guadalcanal is different. More strategic options with very limited resources and small bases. IMO Guadalcanal gives best feeling how the war was actually fought.

(in reply to kevin_hx)
Post #: 8
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 10/26/2012 9:24:12 AM   
kevin_hx

Coral Sea Scenario is to training your CV tactical skill,
and Guadalcanal Scenario is to training not only CV tactical but also amphibious skills.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 9
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 10/26/2012 11:22:08 AM   
henhute6

And the challenge continues in Marianas. Pretty impossible to slay all Allied CV's. Surface task forces are the best bet to reduce them and kill amphibious fleets. Japanese carriers should try to avoid enemy carriers and strike undefended targets.

I have locked situation going on. Americans are on the Saipan beach with slightly bigger force, but still not able to attack.

(in reply to kevin_hx)
Post #: 10
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 6/9/2014 6:43:17 PM   
Yaab

I have replayed the Coral Sea scenario recently and have some thoughts about it. Maybe some new players may find them useful.

Japanese side:
Your two carriers can operate more aircraft then they start with. Divide the Zero unit at Rabaul and fly 9 Zeros to Shokaku and 9 Zeros to Zuikaku. Also, move the small Kate unit from CVL Shoho to either Zuikaku or Shokaku to boost your torpedo bomber numbers. As the Japanese you are slightly disadvantaged, since your dive bombers carry 250kg bombs, while Allies have 1000lb bombs. Torpedoes are far more deadly than bombs (torpedoes can easily penetrate CV and BB belt armor), provided your torpedo attack is performed in clear weather, and they are weapon of choice when dealing with Allied capital ships.

Your carriers can take some punishment, provided they are lucky. Watch combat animation and see how 1000lb bombs bounce off your CV's belt armor (their belt armor raring is 165). The Shokaku shrugged off three such hits in my recent game with only 19 system damage accrued.

CL Yubari with its puny AA guns is a sailing coffin. Best is to detach her at start and retire her to Rabaul.

Allied side:
CV Yorktown is made from reinforced paper-mache and gets sunk almost every time in this scenario. She is lacking in armor and her belt armor rating is only 100. Better park her under the LRCAP umbrella from Port Moresby. Fly in some Warhawks from Australia and some B-25 bombers, so they can scare the Japs with they 100 feet bombing runs.

If your Wildcats get diverted to Port Moresby (because CV Yorktown is on fire), remember they sport 2 x 100lb bombs at 100 feet and some nice .50 MGs, so they can form a last-ditch attempt at stopping Japanese amphibious TF with strafing runs.

(in reply to henhute6)
Post #: 11
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 6/9/2014 6:56:12 PM   
geofflambert

Somebody is going to have to take the user name Sergeant-Major SNAFU. Major general SNAFU too.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 12
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 6/9/2014 7:38:02 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: henhute6

quote:

Japan:
1) Form a carrier TF
2) Sink USN carriers
3) Capture Port Moresby

Not enough troops to capture Port Moresby. I recaptured Lunga and Tulagi and took Milne Bay and then ended the scenario.

There are plenty of troops for the Japanese to take PM. But they are NOT all on troop transports. It calls for "out of the box" thinking.

And as has been said before, the Japanese do have more carrier capable aircraft than are aboard ship. Use 'em!

As far as the allies go, just don't let the Japanese take PM. You can lose every ship, plane, and electron trooper and still win if you can delay Japan long enough. The secret to winning as the Japanese is , your enemy is NOT the allies! It's time! Waste everything EXCEPT time.

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 6/9/2014 8:42:17 PM >

(in reply to henhute6)
Post #: 13
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 6/9/2014 7:42:43 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Somebody is going to have to take the user name Sergeant-Major SNAFU. Major general SNAFU too.

What does SNAFU mean in Gornish?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 14
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 6/9/2014 8:18:28 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

Seriously Not As Funnylookin' as U

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 15
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 6/10/2014 1:53:48 AM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

Seriously Not As Funnylookin' as U

Classic. GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 16
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 6/10/2014 4:22:17 AM   
jmalter

you guys can have your fun.

the Coral Sea scenario is a 'training' exercise for CV TF combat, augmented by whatever land-based airgoup search.

the Guadalcanal scenario is the next step up. Can you protect your AmphTF against enemy reaction?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 17
RE: walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? - 9/29/2016 12:47:12 AM   
glyphoglossus

Absolute, absolute, absolute newbie here.

But thought I would share what seems to be a pretty decent Allied game-plan (after many, many, many iterations). The doctrine is probably quite scandalous from what most consider sane carrier operations, i.e., it is highly defensive.

(1) Seriously stiffen up Port Moresby's air assets. In particular, in the first round move some Catalina squadrons from Australia there. Over subsequent rounds, bring in the P-40's, A-20's, and B-25's. When the P-40's come in, set up 50% CAP patrol level.
(2) The Catalinas should be set to 100% search tasking. Focus on saturating the arc from 0 to about 200, all the way out to beyond the Solomon islands.
(3) The Wirraways at Port Moresby set to search the south/southwest/west; 100% searches, don't worry about strikes.
(4) Pull both your carrier task forces together NW and merge them. Set CAP patrol levels at 70% on one carrier and 50% on the other. Don't worry about setting up naval searches: the Catalinas will have you covered. Don't worry about ASW: the Japanese submarines seem to be pretty ineffectual. Set all aircraft altitudes to be 10000 ft, so any strikes launched will be coordinated.
(5) Set the combined carrier TF to head NW and take up station right next to Port Moresby. This seems to allow for mutual fighter support (from the incoming P-40's).
(6) Merge the three cruiser task force with the carrier task forces.
(7) Wait it out. The Japanese carriers will come to you. You will take hits, but along with the reinforced Moresby aerial assets, you will also give as good or better than you get. You will shred the invasion force, and with luck, take out the Japanese carriers.

I have no idea how the above will work with a human opponent, but against the AI this highly-defensive game-plan resulted in the Allies winning decisively (as in relative scores of ~1700:~300), with Port Moresby remaining in Allied hands and:

- At least one Japanese carrier sunk
- Invasion force seriously damaged
- No Allied carriers sunk. Yorktown took a couple of hits, but nothing serious. Lexington seriously damaged, but not sunk: retreated to Australia (aviation assets transferred to Port Moresby, where they continued to operate).

EDIT: From inspection of the logs, it appears that only the Zuikaku was definitely sunk. There is no mention of the Shoho, and, wrt to the Shokaku, the logs say: "Previous report of sinking of CV Shokaku incorrect. Intelligence reports ship is still in service". Yet, after the game was over and I was allowed to look at the Japanese side, I could see no sign of any carriers at all. So what happened to the Shoho and Shokaku?

EDIT 2: It seems that the AI may have pulled back the two carriers and stuck them in port. Strange since the Shoho does not seem to have been damaged at all?

< Message edited by glyphoglossus -- 9/29/2016 7:09:51 AM >

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> walk through of Coral sea or Guadalcanal? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI