Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The use of LC's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The use of LC's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The use of LC's - 9/19/2016 3:46:38 PM   
Leandros

The use of Landing Craft.

A little while back there was a question on the use of landing craft and barges. I got the impression that it was not much used and that many considered it unwieldy, except for short-distance island hopping. Much because many of them are small, with low speed and range. For an opposed landing, however, it is crucial to get the mostest ashore the fastest.

Myself, I find the possibility for amphibious operations early in the game a little “artificial” – the only practical way is to have “AK” or “AP’s” (not +AK and +AP) available and organized as “amphibious” task forces. This works quite well, even in “opposed” landings. “+” transports use too much time in unloading, also in “amphibious” mode (nothing is gained actually – AK’s and AP’s cut the time in half). Now (March 1943), when LC’s are available in large numbers, I decided to do a little study. I think probably some are scared off by the fact that LCT’s (Landing Craft, Tank) do not specify troop capability, but only cargo load. This is, however, quite misleading, just like with cargo ships (AK’s). They can carry troops, as well, if not as elegantly as an AP. LCT’s also carry troops.

To test it I put together a TF consisting of three LCT’s of the Type II Class - II/1942 – cargo capacity 1.750 tons, and decided to load it with an engineer battalion with the following loading result – I was lucky with that one:

LCT 1: 117 troops, 1 vehicle
LCT 2: 257 troops, 5 vehicles, (4 enginering, 1 truck)
LCT 3: 287 troops, 7 vehicles, (4 engineering, 3 trucks)

No general supplies were loaded on any, but all the unit’s vehicles and personnel.

From this can be deduced that personnel and equipment are prioritized - but it shows that LCT’s do take troops. In an opposed landing this TF constellation can be used in the first wave and a “normal” AK can either be hooked up with the TF or loaded separately with the unit’s supplies after troops and equipment have been loaded into LCT’s. This AK shall then be unloaded after the landings as time and conditions permit. As I understand it, LC’s empty in one turn, regardless.

The next example is, in principle, the same – a Marine Defense Bn loaded on:

Four LCI - 22 (Landing Craft, Infantry) – Type Class 6/1942 – troop capacity: 190, cargo: 75 tons

LCI 1: 18 infantry, 124 others, 3x20 mm Oerlikons machine cannons
LCI 2: 132 infantry, 58 others, 1x20 mm Oerlikon machine cannon
LCI 3: 162 infantry, 28 others, 1x20 mm Oerlikon machine cannon
LCI 4: 18 infantry, 124 others, 3x20 mm Oerlikon machine cannon

No general supplies. Total troop capacity: 760 - 664 troops and 8 machine cannons were loaded. IOW, 8 guns took up space for 96 troops. OK, this tell us a little on how the loading “people” are thinking. Back on the beach/port were:

996 troops, 45 guns, 1 CPS-1 radar, 9x.50 HMG’s, 16x90 mm AA, 8x155 mm coastal artillery. As with the other example – twice as many LCI’s would take most of the troops, heavy stuff could be loaded on an AK – or combined with LCT’s for the heavy stuff. Thrice as many LCI’s would take all the troops plus, but we would still need LCT’s or AK’s for the heavy stuff.

This is feasible if you have a minimal number of LC’s. If you have plenty you can just add vessels till the “loading people” are happy – troops, equipment and supplies shall be distributed relatively evenly. I think. If it looks a little too much, use “minimum ships” and it compresses the load.

In an opposed landing it is important to get the troops ashore first.

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf
Post #: 1
RE: The use of LC's - 9/28/2016 7:20:51 AM   
Yaab

Sorry, what do you mean by "others" in the LCI test? Support squads?

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 2
RE: The use of LC's - 9/28/2016 10:38:52 AM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Sorry, what do you mean by "others" in the LCI test? Support squads?

Support troops - not squads.

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The use of LC's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI