Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Verbal phrases to use

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Verbal phrases to use Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Verbal phrases to use - 6/5/2003 9:24:41 PM   
IronManBeta

We are toying with the idea of adding in some verbal sound effects to highlight certain events in the game. This is the quick list so far:
o “Gas! Gas! Gas!” for an artillery mission with chemical munitions.
o “Contact. Wait Out” for each time an enemy unit is spotted and no enemy units are currently spotted. It marks the transition from ‘nothing out there’ to ‘first contact’.
o “Sir, command net jammed!” – when limited staff order allowance maximum is reached.
o “Bombs Splash” when aircraft conduct strike. Does this come before or after the individual bomb animations?
o “?” when aircraft strike mission aborts, seeks alternate target or is shot out of sky.
o “On the way” when an artillery unit fires. Every mission by every arty unit, or off-map only? Or just the first fire mission in the game or the first after an interval of x minutes?
o “Taking fire” when a unit comes under fire and it was not aware of any enemy units capable of doing this. Direct and / or indirect fire only?
o "Danger Will Robinson, Danger" when ?
o "Nice beach over there. Sabre, fly thataway"

My question to the many military and ex-military assembled here is are these the right phrases to use and what other common ones might be heard on the command net that a brigadier general would be listening to? We don't want a huge list, but even having just "Contact. Wait Out" in the game is a real grabber and we are looking to add to it. Selecting a few other choice words and phrases might be just the ticket. Please remember though that minors might be within earshot!

Cheers all, Rob.
Post #: 1
Sounds good - 6/6/2003 3:22:26 PM   
Paul Wykes

Not being ex-military myself, I cannot comment on the validity of the phrases you have chosen, I can only offer a "laymans" opinion

I just wanted to add that adding such samples sounds (no pun intended:) ) a great idea, and I`m sure will help to imerse the player.

I don`t know what other sound(s) you have planned. so here are just a few of my suggestions.

Some gerneral "white noise" background to simulate the general hussle and bussle of the radio waves.

Background noise of small arms fire. Sound could intensify as the contact increases.

Background noise of rain/wind etc if weather is bad as an indication of climate conditions

"incomming" when unexpectedly targeted by enemy artillery

May be a bit cliche, but how about an air raid siren. (The time the "3 minute" warning went off in my town will always stick with me

:eek: )

Paul

(in reply to IronManBeta)
Post #: 2
Verbal Phrases - 6/6/2003 9:30:19 PM   
LTCMTS

Any verbal phrases presenting information to the player needs to be linked to the unit and situation. Example, "Tiger 6 (1/16 INF), this is Alpha 6 (A/1/16 INF), contact, MR667898, enemy armor, est. battalion force". Otherwise, the phrase "In contact", if repeated every time a force comes into contact during a particularly busy part of the scenario will not enhance the player's experience, since he'll have to cycle through the units to find them anyway.

Post #: 3
Hmmmm - 6/6/2003 9:39:00 PM   
Paul Wykes

Yes I agree, I`m sure continous sound effects, particularly repeated phrases, would begin to "grate" and irratate after a while for some people.

I`m sure there will be an option to turn speech/sound/music or all of it off.

"in contact" reports such as LTCMTS suggested giving full details would be excellent, but I don`t know how practical this would be in implement. I imagine EVERY unit would have to have a speech sample, which in itself would be a big task to undertake I assume.

Paul

Post #: 4
- 6/12/2003 8:18:21 AM   
Golf33

For Commonwealth artillery:

Report "Shot" when firing a mission (each round of adjustment and first round of each method of Fire For Effect) and "Rounds Complete" when finishing a method of Fire For Effect. Unless the mission involves the whole Regiment you wouldn't hear that at Brigade level since Bde HQ only monitors the Regimental and Divisional fires nets and these reports are made over Battery net for the most part.

"Fire Mission" when an observer calls for a mission (if this is modelled) - preferably "Fire Mission GR 334 221". If you can get it in there, the target description should also be included: "Fire Mission GR 334 221 Tanks" or "Infantry" or "APC" or "Bunker", along those lines. Obviously the real call is a lot more detailed but you wouldn't want all that stuff. This call does go over the Regimental arty net (ie it does get heard at Bde HQ).

"End of Mission" when a fire mission is finished. This is reported by the guns to the Arty Regt CP and would be monitored at Bde HQ.

Aircraft rolling in should be something along the lines of "Magpie 12, cleared hot" or "Tally, in hot". This should come about 5 sec before bomb impact. There isn't a call for bomb impact but for hits that do a lot of damage you might want to report "Shack" (means all bombs hit the target & target destroyed). This definitely isn't monitored at Bde HQ since it happens between the aircraft and observer. There would however be a BDA report sent by the observer to Arty Regt CP that would be monitored at Bde HQ.

When taking fire "Incoming". Incoming arty might be accompanied by "Shelrep" or "Mortrep" a short time afterwards - probably a minute or two at least.

When spotting a previously unobserved enemy unit but not engaging, "Spotrep". Include GR and description if possible, as for a Fire Mission.

If you can, set up barks so that the voices are relevant to the specific game events - report the unit name and preferably location where relevant. "Tango 23, Contact GR 435 339, Wait Out". Bear in mind that units at Coy level won't be heard at Bde HQ - they will be reporting on their Bn command net and it is Bn that would report further up, at least in my experience.

These reports should be spoken quickly and I'd recommend having a library of different voices to choose from; ideally each unit should be associated with a specific voice and all reports originating from that unit should use the same voice. Otherwise it does get pretty repetitive and can be annoying rather than immersive.

Cheers

Post #: 5
- 6/12/2003 6:19:35 PM   
jrcar

Thanks Steve, good comments.

Sound certainly adds to the immersion, but it is difficult to get authentic. Rob I hope you can pull it off :)

Cheers

Rob

Post #: 6
- 6/17/2003 10:06:59 AM   
byron13

"On the way" is yelled by a U.S. tank gunner before squeezing off a round. This lets the TC and loader know that they shouldn't be trying to read the serial number off the breech block at that time. As such, don't see it being used in the game.

With respect to U.S. arty fire missions - at least for spotting rounds - the battery would announce "Shot, over" on the radio when the round was fired, and the FIST or other spotter would reply with "Shot, out." Just before the round was timed to land, the battery would announce "Splash, over," to which the FIST would reply "Splash, out." Thus, the FIST knew when to look for the round. Don't recall if there was any special lingo when you requested fire for effect. So this probably isn't of much use, either.

As for contact reports, I guess Golf 33 is right that it depends what level of command you want the player to consider himself at. At the brigade level, you're obviously only going to hear what battalion pushes up, and it won't be dramatic. I like the idea of getting the gut-wrenching "Contact!" with little else; kind of adds to the tension and immersion. Anyway, "Contact," "Contact north" or "Contact left" is probably going to be yelled by a platoon leader over the company net. My guess is that, despite SOP, you're not going to get a call sign, detailed location, or strength report because he will be too busy commanding his own tank as well as the platoon - not to mention dodging rounds. SOP had the company commander likewise commanding the company; it was the XO's responsibility to radio this kind of traffic back to battalion. This would probably happen if the XO was properly trailing the company and could see the action. But if he was hotly engaged or was in a position where he could not see the battle, he wouldn't know any more about the battle than what was blathered by the platoon leader. He might be able to send an estimated location within a grid square or two, but nothing about the opposition.

In any event, if you use much more than "Contact," it will be difficult to create all the possible variables in a voice message, unless you just say "enemy tanks/infanty/etc." or "estimated platoon/company/battalion strength." And forget trying to record sound bytes for all the possible locations. I'm thinking it's best to just use "Contact!" in a really frantic voice for chilling effect and to prompt the player to action, and then leave the rest for text messaging.

In the end, I think the sound bytes are better used to prompt the player ala the Close Combat series. It's a way to (i) prompt the player to action, e.g., "awaiting orders," or "we're at waypoint/objective," prompt the player to watch for something, e.g., "______ ingressing," or "incoming," and (iii) apprise the player of the situation/morale of his troops, e.g., "we need to fall back" or "we need more ammo!" Providing usable information will be difficult given the variability of the information, and it may be easier/more appropriate to use text messages.

Possibly one use of contact reports, spot reps, and the like would be to have something like an audio "Red Lion 6, this is Dawg 5, spot report, over" which would announce a text-messaged spot report that could be fairly detailed. It would let the player know to look for the message and what kind of a message it was. Just an idea.

Post #: 7
Re: Verbal phrases to use - 6/18/2003 10:23:03 AM   
DavidW75

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RobertCrandall
[B]o “Gas! Gas! Gas!” for an artillery mission with chemical munitions.
o “Contact. Wait Out” for each time an enemy unit is spotted and no enemy units are currently spotted. It marks the transition from ‘nothing out there’ to ‘first contact’.
o “Sir, command net jammed!” – when limited staff order allowance maximum is reached.
o “Bombs Splash” when aircraft conduct strike. Does this come before or after the individual bomb animations?
o “?” when aircraft strike mission aborts, seeks alternate target or is shot out of sky.
o “Taking fire” when a unit comes under fire and it was not aware of any enemy units capable of doing this. Direct and / or indirect fire only?

[/B][/QUOTE]

I would also like to hear radio reports when a unit reaches a waypoint, as well as the one's listed above.

"I ain't never been nothing but a winner" Paul W. 'Bear' Bryant

Post #: 8
- 6/18/2003 11:14:31 AM   
Blackhorse

We are toying with the idea of adding in some verbal sound effects to highlight certain events in the game. This is the quick list so far:
o “Gas! Gas! Gas!” for an artillery mission with chemical munitions.

The above are great. The other comments suggested are a bit too "in the weeds" for a commanding General's 'net (unless he's *really* micro-managing the battle).

If it is not too difficult to implement, identifying each unit would be enormously helpful: "Fox 6 reporting contact. wait out" would tell the player where to look for a new contact. Same thing with "Bravo 6 taking fire."

For air strikes, perhaps something like "(Air Liaison reports) angels coming in hot" right before a strike.

For artillery: "(Forward Observer reports) mortar /artillery /rocket / missile mission fired"

For helicopters: "This is Peter Pilot. I am taking fire. I am breaking station." (sorry, roto-tops, old tanker joke.)

What would really add flavor -- er, flavour to the BAOR -- is some sound bites from units that are taking casualties, being wiped out, or facing overwhelming odds.

"This is Alpha 6, help! help!"

"Charlie 6 does not respond."

"Ambush! Ambush! This is --" (static)

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 9
- 6/20/2003 3:30:51 AM   
scarletto

What would really add flavor -- er, flavour to the BAOR -- is some sound bites from units that are taking casualties, being wiped out, or facing overwhelming odds.

"This is Alpha 6, help! help!"

"Charlie 6 does not respond."

"Ambush! Ambush! This is --" (static)

not actually words used by BAOR, but why should it add flavour to just the BAOR troops.

Post #: 10
- 6/20/2003 10:24:13 AM   
Blackhorse

My bad. I did not express myself clearly. When I wrote "What would really add flavor -- er, flavour to the BAOR -- " I meant only that the non-American speaking English world would write "flavor" as "flavour".

I did not mean to suggest that the callsigns / phrases I used as examples were peculiar to, or even used by, the BAOR.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Verbal phrases to use Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI