Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HELP!!! Need Sub Ops Knowledge

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> HELP!!! Need Sub Ops Knowledge Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HELP!!! Need Sub Ops Knowledge - 7/1/2017 12:04:48 AM   
admjack

I'll start by pointing out that I have absolutely NO/NO knowledge ref sub ops. I have read Baloogan's blog where he talks about what to do and not to do with subs but I'm still needing some help.

I'm in the middle of the scenario Ruby Slipper 2016. My one sub was dashing along at deepest depth at full speed (what I was led to believe is the best way to make distance). I the detected a Goblin right next to the sub and immediately halted, pointed my sub at the contact and went to just above the layer. I'm sitting here but haven't had any more contact in almost 30 minutes. I'm thinking that is about the longest I should wait before I continue along my way but really have no idea.

I'm also left wondering... I understand that deepest possible is the safest way to go fast... but if you're above the layer with a towed array dipping down below the layer you're supposed to hear what is going on down there. They say that if you're in the layer others can't hear you--and (of course) you can't hear them. Wouldn't THAT be the best place to go fast then, assuming its deep enough? Obviously, just like a beginner, I know just enough to get myself confused.

Any ideas what to do with my possum sub and any insights on the best ways to scoot about undetected?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: HELP!!! Need Sub Ops Knowledge - 7/1/2017 2:09:02 AM   
Cik

dashing while really deep is a good idea, save if you have reasonable intelligence to indicate that there is a sensor below the layer somewhere. if there is a sensor below the layer, it's far worse than being anywhere else AFAIK.

the goblin you detected could have been in the layer, and/or has stopped or drastically slowed down (as he likely mutually detected you at about the same time if he was running fast) if it's stopped, it's possible that you can't hear it even if it is deep. if you are just above the layer it's likely you wouldn't hear a slow contact in the layer (depending on the strength of the layer) if i were in your position, i would sit still and throw a maritime patrol aircraft or ASW helo at the problem, get a lot of buoys in the water nearby and see if you can't pick it up before moving. if you go low and flank again you might eat a torpedo from a lurking sub. dangerous.

you could theoretically sprint in the layer and i don't think there is any reason not to, as long as it's deep enough; but i don't think i've ever seen a layer below 400 feet and most subs will cavitate lower than that at flank speed.

basically, any sub movement or maneuver's potential for death depends entirely on the enemy's sensor capabilities. sprinting deep is (relatively) safe unless the enemy has towed arrays, under-layer-capable sonobuoys, or subs of their own. if they do have any of those things, i would not sprint at all without clearing the area with your own aircraft personally. creeping in the layer is the safest you can get IMO, and what i do when facing an enemy with good detection hardware.

how much you can get away with really depends entirely on who the enemy is and where they are. personally if the enemy has 1990+ tech i basically don't move my subs at all. too dangerous.
hopefully you can read the enemy's rough OOB in the briefing and see what they have. personally i'd bet NK's subs are old and rusty, and thus relatively easy to detect with relatively inferior sensors. in which case, i would travel medium speed in the layer (esp. if it is strong) and pop out now and again at a creep to catch anything moving. then back into the layer again to avoid detection.

(in reply to admjack)
Post #: 2
RE: HELP!!! Need Sub Ops Knowledge - 7/1/2017 10:15:50 PM   
admjack

Cik,
Thank you for your response.
I agree that an ASW helo or fixed wing would have been ideal, but I was limited as my sub was pretty deep in NK territory. If I sent an ASW asset it likely would've been attacked and might have drawn undue attention to the sub hiding there. As it was I took your advice and went into the layer (which was at ~.47 strength [is that strong?]) and crept forward. After a while I went to full stop and went to above the layer and almost immediately identified the "goblin" as biologic.
Thanks for the advice and sorry I'm such a noob. I'm trying to tackle the more complicated/difficult scenarios in order to gain a bit of knowledge before I go on to the campaigns.

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> HELP!!! Need Sub Ops Knowledge Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI