Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Indonesia's sunken submarine may have been hit by a an internal wave

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Indonesia's sunken submarine may have been hit by a an internal wave Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Indonesia's sunken submarine may have been hit by a an ... - 5/1/2021 11:27:21 AM   
Zorch

Theories about the sinking...attention now turns to recovery

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-30/indonesian-submarine-may-have-been-hit-by-internal-wave/100102816

"As an Indonesian navy submarine crewed by 53 men glided below the surface of the Bali Sea during a routine training exercise, it may have been hit by an invisible but powerful force that dragged them to the deep.

Indonesian navy officials suspect an internal solitary wave, known to occur in the seas around Bali, may have caused the sinking of KRI Nanggala 402, and the loss of its 53 crew.

The vessel sank to a depth of 838 metres, far beyond the reach of rescuers.

Many theories have been put forward but authorities now say there is evidence an underwater wave — that can exert an intense vertical pull below the sea surface — occurred in the Bali Sea around the very time the submarine disappeared last Wednesday morning."

... [omitted]

"Rear Admiral Muhammad Ali, a former commander of KRI Nanggala 402, and now an assistant of planning and budgeting in the Indonesian navy, said an internal wave was effectively "a strong current which can drag the sub vertically so it would sink faster than it should."

"Our suspicion falls on natural conditions. Because an internal solitary wave occurred at that time in the north of Bali," he told Indonesian media this week.

Indeed, navy officials say images from Japan's Himawari 8 satellite, as well as European satellite Sentinel showed there were large underwater waves that coincided with the KRI Nanggala 402 sinking.

"It moved up from the bottom to the north, and there's a trench between two mountains," said Rear Admiral Iwan Isnurwanto, Commander of the Indonesian Navy Command and Staff School.

"The wave was about two nautical miles [in speed] and the volume of water was about two to four million cubic litres.""
Post #: 1
RE: Indonesia's sunken submarine may have been hit by a... - 5/1/2021 11:33:18 AM   
Orm

Thank you, Zorch, for sharing.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2
RE: Indonesia's sunken submarine may have been hit by a... - 5/1/2021 3:18:29 PM   
RangerJoe

Interesting, like an underwater riptide.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3
RE: Indonesia's sunken submarine may have been hit by a... - 5/1/2021 3:55:50 PM   
rico21

The Wave19?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4
RE: Indonesia's sunken submarine may have been hit by a... - 5/1/2021 5:15:18 PM   
rommel222

Greetings Zorch,
Very interesting reference and thanks for posting

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 5
RE: Indonesia's sunken submarine may have been hit by a... - 5/1/2021 5:31:42 PM   
Zovs

Sounds like a horrible death for the crew. May they RIP.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Indonesia's sunken submarine may have been hit by a an internal wave Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI