Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 welcome)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 welcome) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 welcome) - 3/1/2016 10:08:45 PM   
loki100

T1: 22-25 June 1941

So new game. Started with 1.08.08, no +1, mild blizzard (my feeling is the trade off in terms of easier Gds creation compensates for this). Variable weather.

We decided to use the Bitter End set up. Mainly as it provides a set of metrics rather than for the inherent victory conditions. I still take the view that the game either ends early (if it becomes too one sided or its all about who holds Berlin in May 1945).

Common sense rules around airdrops, unit/airbase bombing/naval invasions. Neither of us is in the win at all costs approach.

I've managed my common error of taking on too much so I'll simply present this AAR as a report on the game. Its open to Stef78 as I'll be a few turns behind.

So here is the situation when I got the turn.

So Riga is taken, Germans are over the Dauga. Have reached the outskirts of Minsk and seem to have cut off most of the SW Front.

In the north, I set up a defence around Pskov while fresh units rail in to form up on the Luga.

The centre, pull back what I can (as far as I can). Used all my rail capacity to send some units north. Hopefully that line on the Berezina will slow the Germans allowing me to build up at Smolensk

In the south, I found the pocket to be easy to break (from the inside). Its not clear in the image but everything is back in communication so that means it'll be a problem for the Germans to T3. I was also able to evacuate all the support units attached to the various rifle corps.

I don't race to disband the FZ counters. While its good to save the artillery etc for later use, they slow German hex conversion and I find I have more urgent tasks with the limited admin pt allocation you have on T1.

Losses were:

Germans 9,000 men (6,300 kia), 66 tanks and 50 planes.

Soviets, 331,000 men (39,000 kia and 187,000 prisoners), 2, 360 tanks and 2,981 planes (2,500 on the ground).

< Message edited by loki100 -- 3/1/2016 10:12:54 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/2/2016 6:45:06 AM   
STEF78

Nice to play against Loki100!

Back on the german side. I didn't play them for several monthes. Thus I discover the last changes due to 1.08.xx. One FBD less is annoying...

Neither of us is to give up after 17 or 25 turns so this game should last to the bitter end . And we won't use gamey tricks.

During the first turns, I will focuse on keeping my momentum on in order to:
1) destroy russian industry
2) create some pockets

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/2/2016 9:37:37 AM   
821Bobo

Nice to see yet another of great AARs from Loki.

Subscribed

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 3
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/3/2016 9:10:49 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: STEF78

Nice to play against Loki100!

Back on the german side. I didn't play them for several monthes. Thus I discover the last changes due to 1.08.xx. One FBD less is annoying...

Neither of us is to give up after 17 or 25 turns so this game should last to the bitter end . And we won't use gamey tricks.

During the first turns, I will focuse on keeping my momentum on in order to:
1) destroy russian industry
2) create some pockets

both of which you do very well, plus a remarkable performance in resupplying your advanced guards

quote:

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

Nice to see yet another of great AARs from Loki.

Subscribed

hope it goes a decent distance, but the .08 rule changes have really changed the balance of 1941. I suspect we are going to see a bit of return to earlier patches where the Axis can overrun pretty much anything they want to. Frustrating

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 4
Turn 2: 26 June – 2 July 1941 - 3/3/2016 9:12:44 PM   
loki100

Turn 2: 26 June – 2 July 1941

This turn set a pattern that will be repeated. In effect, Stef78 is moving far faster each turn than I have seen for a long time [1]. The result is my Berezina defense is just swallowed up, Pskov almost encircled and he reaches Mogilev. In the south, despite me cutting off his spearheads and re-opening the pocket he reaches Vinnitsa.

(I've marked on where it seemed most likely he would go next)

In theory in the south, he could go for Dnepropetrovsk, the Dneipr crossings at Chernigov or Kiev. However, I thought I'd managed to stall him by creating chaos behind his lines. Even where I can't re-open the pocket I was able to move so as to limit his supply.

In the centre, I did something similar, re-opening the Minsk pocket and cutting off his spearheads. Again I hoped this would buy me time. The stars show where I think I have managed to limit any resupply.

In the north, concentrate on trying to build up on the Luga while creating some sort of defense to the south of Lake Ilmen.

Overall

I lost 247,000 men (18,000 kia and 204,000 prisoners), 2,100 tanks and 235 planes [2]. German losses were 19,000 men (4,200 kia), 80 tanks and 32 planes.

For contrast, the T2 losses vs vigabrand were 282,000 men, 3,600 tanks and 162 planes. German losses were 23,000 men, 90 tanks and 40 planes.

[1] I think this is partly the results of the most recent patch, but he is also prioritising moving east over protecting his flanks. As we'll see the odd thing is I keep on cutting off his spearheads but it seems to be making no difference.
[2] With the new air rules I am keeping the VVS more active than I usually do, so losses will be higher.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/4/2016 12:56:48 PM   
timmyab

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100
hope it goes a decent distance, but the .08 rule changes have really changed the balance of 1941. I suspect we are going to see a bit of return to earlier patches where the Axis can overrun pretty much anything they want to. Frustrating

Hmmm interesting. I would have said that .08 is a much needed pro Soviet patch The 50 starting NM is a big plus and combined with reduced industry railing costs relieves the strain quite a bit. It's still a challenge to get the industry out, but that's as it should be.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 6
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/4/2016 2:24:51 PM   
chaos45

Axis supplies don't matter T1 and T2

They start with 200% basically so its not until T3 that reducing Axis supply lines matter.

Basically all the Soviet player can do T1/T2 is start to rebuild the army/use AP to prep what you want your army to look like and disband all the crap you don't want so you keep your manpower/arm pool good longer.

Move units in pockets or units that cant escape to make axis burn some MP to kill them, and flee fast to set up new delay lines/checkerboard spots.

For the early turns with a good Lvov opening the Soviets are desperate for troops and especially support squads to fill new units/army HQs for a long time.

< Message edited by chaos45 -- 3/4/2016 3:32:24 PM >

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 7
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/4/2016 3:57:25 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: timmyab

quote:

Hmmm interesting. I would have said that .08 is a much needed pro Soviet patch The 50 starting NM is a big plus and combined with reduced industry railing costs relieves the strain quite a bit. It's still a challenge to get the industry out, but that's as it should be.

I realise that is what is intended but I'm really not sure its what I am seeing. It'll be easier to set out what I mean in a few more turns but Axis MP and CV are both much higher than I have seen in some time (really since the early .07.xx set of patches). Stef78 has said he's only done 6 HQBUs (up to T7) and that the new rules for them are working much as expected. So I don't think its that. But the lower industry evac costs are no help if the Germans can move much faster.

If this was just Pelton taking on his usual collection of new players using his prior exploration of the patch then I wouldn't read anything into what is presented. But I think we are both competent and have been around this often enough not to make too many fundamental errors.

quote:

ORIGINAL: chaos45

They start with 200% basically so its not until T3 that reducing Axis supply lines matter.

Basically all the Soviet player can do T1/T2 is start to rebuild the army/use AP to prep what you want your army to look like and disband all the crap you don't want so you keep your manpower/arm pool good longer.

Move units in pockets or units that cant escape to make axis burn some MP to kill them, and flee fast to set up new delay lines/checkerboard spots.

For the early turns with a good Lvov opening the Soviets are desperate for troops and especially support squads to fill new units/army HQs for a long time.

or maybe I am making fundamental errors ...

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 8
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/5/2016 12:59:26 PM   
gingerbread

Thanks for addressing balance and balance change issues in this AAR.

I'm more than a bit surprised that the Panzers have more fuel in .08 than before due to the -75k vehicles in the Axis At Start Pool. This should or at least was supposed to have a reign in effect but it could be that it does not kick in until the distance to rail increases. Doing HQBU's should add to the effect as well since vehicles are lost when doing that.

Are the Panzers reaching industrial locations earlier than before as well?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 9
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/5/2016 2:24:04 PM   
STEF78

Some infos from the german side:

I did 6 HQBU from turn 3 to 6 (I don't give the info about turn 7 as it's currently loki to play turn 7).

4 were done in the center, 2 in the South and none in the north. I didn't made a lot of fuel airdrop as my bombers were overused to break the russian line of defence.

In the South my moves went close from the romanian border thus increasing the supply level. In addition, I railed a 1 pzd and 2 mot north of Kishinev.

So all my Pzd/Mot weren't at 50MP each turn but I had at least a couple of them at full speed available both in center and in the South.

Defence is very difficult for the russian during the early turns and, with some recons the german player can find path through lightly or undefended areas. It happened in the south with my raid (I think turn 4) to Krivoi Rog via Nikolaïev (2 units were involved). The same for my raid to Briansk. Only one unit with full MP was involved.

On the other side, the new range for HQBU is annoying for the germans.

It's just my feeling about 1.08.08 but it doesn't seem to me easier for the germans than 1.07

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 10
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/5/2016 3:07:52 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Chaos45 is 100% correct. Trying to slow/stop the first couple of turns of the initial German advance is a pipe dream with axis units full of supply. The Germans are held by a chain to supply but not on the first few turns. In the North the Germans can be pretty much in supply non stop, but in the south there is a tether that the Germans are tied to. Learn that tether and you can plan your moves accordingly. This tether is made longer by just railing one or two FBD's through Romania. You want to stop the Germans from great gains in the south either make a house rule that NO FBD's can go to/through Romania or make it so the FBD's can't ever go through Romania as if they are Hungarian (hard programmed). IMHO removal of FBD-5 has been minimal, limit all FBD's through Romania will have the desired effect.
quote:

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 11
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/5/2016 3:15:58 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: STEF78

Some infos from the german side:

I did 6 HQBU from turn 3 to 6 (I don't give the info about turn 7 as it's currently loki to play turn 7).

4 were done in the center, 2 in the South and none in the north. I didn't made a lot of fuel airdrop as my bombers were overused to break the russian line of defence.

In the South my moves went close from the romanian border thus increasing the supply level. In addition, I railed a 1 pzd and 2 mot north of Kishinev.

So all my Pzd/Mot weren't at 50MP each turn but I had at least a couple of them at full speed available both in center and in the South.

Defence is very difficult for the russian during the early turns and, with some recons the german player can find path through lightly or undefended areas. It happened in the south with my raid (I think turn 4) to Krivoi Rog via Nikolaïev (2 units were involved). The same for my raid to Briansk. Only one unit with full MP was involved.

On the other side, the new range for HQBU is annoying for the germans.

It's just my feeling about 1.08.08 but it doesn't seem to me easier for the germans than 1.07

Just a note on how I do HQBU's between turns 3 and 6 and the effects of patch from what I see have done them the same for yrs basicly and its in a thread or was.

I do 1 HQBU up north turn 4 or 5 to test the right hook, if it does not work I don't do any more for rest of game. If it does work I will do another the following turn and that's it until I drive on Moscow turn 12+
Also the right hook never works as far as forming a pocket after 1.06 as it is simply not possible to logisticly close the pocket. It simply stretches the front and releases panzers sooner to center.

The center I never do any before turn 8-9.

The south I will do one turn 3 another turn 4 and another turn 5 and finally turn 6 if needed. At that point I am past 20 MP's and wait for a long while before doing more, but I will air drop to Corps HQ's 200-300 per turn just so MP's stay above 20.

1. drops from planes was nerfed, which was a HUGE part of reason for run away games
2. distance was shortened to railhead and amount of supplies/fuel % dropped also.
3. less trucks also so during late summer I am at 178/178 trucks

So the logistics chain is shorter for sure.

What I see is different now.

I am seeing a stronger German Army as the system is finally working.
Manpower in pool stays at 8k-12k every turn and AP very slowly grow 2k-5k per turn.
So replacements are WAD - you can keep all infantry refit OFF they will still get some men ToE% stays static if not fighting and drops slowly if fighting. You can pull a unit off line and refit and the unit quickly fills up unlike the past.

SO you can keep all or some of your Panzer/MoT divisions on refit and they get priority and stay close to 85-100% all the time IF your not over using them.
This will make it seem like PD's are stronger then before, they are not but stay stronger allot longer.

Possible negative to things WAD is some replacements must be going to Russian units with refit OFF so it be harder to
build up the formations you want getting 100% of the replacements.

Add the bombing which looks like it here to stay but at lower then 3x per hex and again panzer have more punch.
The bombing can be countered as per Chaose's advice, you simply need to add AA units and fight forward more with planes. The tempo cant be kept up over time.

The problem in early 41 is Russian units are not in forts, don't have AA spread like they need and the air force is very weak.

As with all things WitE its never one thing, but a combo.

The logistics chain is shorter, but now most stacks (fort lvl 1 or less) can be pushed using a HA with 1 or 2 PD's or infantry for that matter Oka south and in many cases Oka north.

So units are not using 6 or 16 MP's to do combat and loses are less.

It seems like German units have more MP's. The fact is they have less, but can do more with less now in atleast early 41 and late if the German player keeps Russian off balance.

The bombing simply is not effective vs forts so for most of 42 and 43 it has no real effect, but 44 it will help allot once RED AF rules skies and Germans are driven into open - historical as Chaos says.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 3/5/2016 3:21:03 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 12
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/5/2016 3:23:56 PM   
chaos45

Also AA works--even in my last turn vs Pelton he concentrated around 500 AA guns in 1 corps or army HQ----and it worked it shot down/damages a ton of soviet planes and reduced the bombing effectiveness against those units massively. Against pelton with old air rules I did the same at leningrad--remember my early posts on the massive losses to german airstrikes it was because I had concentrated fighter cover and a ton of AA covering that area.--PVO AA BDE and 10 regiments of PVO AA in the HQ that AA BDE was attached to. Now the issue as usual is you can only do this kind of thing in key areas....so command decisions

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 13
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/5/2016 4:12:32 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

Also AA works--even in my last turn vs Pelton he concentrated around 500 AA guns in 1 corps or army HQ----and it worked it shot down/damages a ton of soviet planes and reduced the bombing effectiveness against those units massively. Against pelton with old air rules I did the same at leningrad--remember my early posts on the massive losses to german airstrikes it was because I had concentrated fighter cover and a ton of AA covering that area.--PVO AA BDE and 10 regiments of PVO AA in the HQ that AA BDE was attached to. Now the issue as usual is you can only do this kind of thing in key areas....so command decisions

The AA works better for Germany you have 2-4 in the Corps HQ's and one in each division.

I had deleted all 90% of my Corps HQ's for manpower and had AA regiments in each Army HQ and 10 AA units. Why the massive AA the last few turns

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 14
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/6/2016 10:07:02 AM   
56ajax

quote:

In the south, I found the pocket to be easy to break (from the inside). Its not clear in the image but everything is back in communication so that means it'll be a problem for the Germans to T3. I was also able to evacuate all the support units attached to the various rifle corps.

Hi, I have a question for you about evacuating support units as above. Why (bother)? Just set support level to zero or for those surrounded don't they helicopter out of the pocket with the HQ when the HQ is bumped? (Or is that just an AI rule).
Thanks.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 15
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/6/2016 11:12:06 AM   
loki100

I'll not pick up on the various useful and welcome balance contributions. What I'll try to do as I update is present as much info as I can. That'll help sort out the balance between Stef78's brilliance, my mistakes and balance issues in .08.

quote:

ORIGINAL: johntoml56

quote:

Hi, I have a question for you about evacuating support units as above. Why (bother)? Just set support level to zero or for those surrounded don't they helicopter out of the pocket with the HQ when the HQ is bumped? (Or is that just an AI rule).
Thanks.

Because if the HQ is bumped out you take losses. Later in the game the loss of a few 122mm/152mm guns is not important, at this stage rebuilding those SUs (assuming they are not totally destroyed) draws off arms pts that you have far better uses for. As in the wider discussion above, a lot of this is about looking for small advantages that add up. Done my way I get a number of functioning artillery SUs into Stavka, I can then recycle them to where I need them (Moscow/Leningrad).

I'd probably have to pay the admin cost in any case. Those powerful at start rifle corps in the Ukraine will end up placing their SUs in SW Front when they disband. At this stage of the war SW Front doesn't really matter what will save the Ukraine is a lack of German MPs not Soviet combat power.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 16
Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/6/2016 8:54:34 PM   
loki100

Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941

I'll start splitting up the opening maps as inevitably the front starts to fragment.

No real surprise at an early lunge for Leningrad

I'm assuming from this there will no 'right hook', I also hope there is going to be a shortage of supply and MP.

In the centre, a brief slowing of the lunge for the Urals.

In the south, Stef78 is clearly aiming for Dnepropetrovsk. He could swing back to Cherkassy, but then there is no need for him to have stretched (I hope) his supply lines.

In response, I managed a spectacularly inept raid on Ploesti.

At Leningrad, I filled in the Luga positions and created a secondary line screening Leningrad.

In the centre, I decided I wasn't going to abandon the Dneipr line without a fight. I need time to construct the Moscow defensive lines.

In the south, I pulled back most of SW Front to the river. I deployed S Front plus most of the rifle corps that report to SW Front to create a barrier to the Dneipr bend. More importantly (I thought) I made a mess of the pockets and his supply lines. All his advanced units are cut off – which I was hoping would buy me time.

Destroyed units after the opening battles;

Losses for the axis were 14,000 men (4,500 kia), 61 tanks and 28 planes. Soviet losses were 48,000 men (15,000 kia, 16,000 prisoners), 2,100 tanks and 220 planes. My losses are relatively low as so far I've been able to re-open most of the pockets. Also I think that Stef78 is more interesting in speed of movement eastwards than in catching the Red Army (this will carry on for the next few turns).

Industrial data

Main thing there is I am trying to stock up supplies by reducing air production. While I am being more active with the VVS in this game than normal, I still think I can make savings by not producing 1941 models at full capacity. My goal in the air is attrition, not to win so even the 1-series monoplanes have some value.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 17
RE: Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/6/2016 9:01:57 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

My losses are relatively low as so far I've been able to re-open most of the pockets. Also I think that Stef78 is more interesting in speed of movement eastwards than in catching the Red Army (this will carry on for the next few turns).

Not a strategy that I would recommend for any german player. A gift to the Russians

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 18
RE: Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/6/2016 10:02:41 PM   
chaos45

Ouch ya you opening up all those pockets in the south on T3 and cutting his supply is a huge set back for early game Germans.

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 19
RE: Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/6/2016 11:56:06 PM   
Peltonx

Horrible just plain bad.

As Germany the first 4 turns are key you have to have your flanks covered.

The old days of the finger thrusts are OVER.

Why?

Because fuel drops have been nerfed.

My standard opening from 1 yr after release to-date works vs checker boards,
cav thrust ect as the flanks are covered and you can roll right to D-Town,
if he fights forward you pocket his army.

Sure some can thrust to east more, but their flanks are not covered and vs a good Russian player or someone whos seen your "move" your toast.

I have done same thing for yrs now and 1-7 there is no counter never will be, its safe and no matter what is
done to logistics/morale/weather it will work.

Turn 7 you change tactics depending on what Stavka gives you as long as there is not some swapping bug you be fine.

I guess a players tactics is based on what works vs who they have won vs, they should be based on who you lost.

You learn more from humble pie then pridefull pie.

Great job Loki

< Message edited by Pelton -- 3/6/2016 11:57:46 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 20
RE: Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 w... - 3/7/2016 1:20:59 AM   
56ajax

Thanks for your reply and the AAR btw.

My limited anecdotal evidence is that the attrition caused when a HQ/Airbase is bumped is between 0% - 5% of the TOE which is trivial. But as you said every gun counts.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 21
RE: Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/7/2016 1:25:38 AM   
charlie0311

All very interesting, as usual.

Pz push into S. Ukraine could be stopped by not allowing FBD to Romania and no German combat units rail through Romania. Not stopped, but limited, ok?

P, I am wondering what you meant when you said something about having an extra xxx hq?

I'm ok with the Pz South gambit. Gerries need to kill lots of Ivans..

Loki very good instructional for pocket breaking.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 22
RE: Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/7/2016 3:37:56 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

Pz push into S. Ukraine could be stopped by not allowing FBD to Romania and no German combat units rail through Romania.
Not stopped, but limited, ok?

Romania is the RH. come on logistics man :)

You can run the FBD out of "Germany" and the push is the same - I alrdy have tested that and you could lower
the rail though Romania, but again I tested that.

You might understand the logistics of Russia, but your in the dark about Germanys it would seem.

I can do what I do out of Germany or Romania and so could MT and many of the better German players.

Dig deeper.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 23
RE: Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/7/2016 3:51:50 AM   
charlie0311

yep, I'm an axis moron for sure.. can't keep my dopey mouth shut.

Almost all my games are v axis newbies and they bail first winter, sometimes summer '42. Play v ai as axis, not about to catch the "top guns" anytime soon.

Actually I enjoy the "digging", must be "mental"

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 24
RE: Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/7/2016 4:44:56 AM   
Wuffer

yes, Loki, you are right - funny forum sometimes.

Regarding speed/range of the panzers, well, not all generals run them as far as possible, indeed most preferre not - for obvious reasons here best illustrated.
The single little fingers instead of a fist without neither flanking security nor coherence with the slower infantry is a gift.
I liked Silly's slower, but deadlier push with the infantry not too far behind and the mobile units allways with some reserve movement left. And I love BIG P's 'one forward (bait), two behind' tactic as well.

For my taste maybe a mot to much sacrified, but a good result. A nd maybe your good position could absorb the next medium 'ouch' disaster, which will come as sure as snow… :-) But don't underestimatedthe reach of his fast units, as P said Romania is the railhead atm.

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 25
RE: Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/7/2016 4:49:25 AM   
Wuffer

Charlie,
a 'gambit' - the deliberate _sacrify_of a pawn for a little more operational tempo - did seldom work as desired in WiTE, especially not with panzers. Lol
:-)

a noteable exeption of course is P as said abough - with 'one finger streched forward, but fist behind' he found a very effective way of luring the hordes out of the jungle
:-)

Where there is no enemy, the pariah is needed to create unity.

< Message edited by Wuffer -- 3/7/2016 5:00:59 AM >

(in reply to Wuffer)
Post #: 26
RE: Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/8/2016 11:42:26 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

quote:

My losses are relatively low as so far I've been able to re-open most of the pockets. Also I think that Stef78 is more interesting in speed of movement eastwards than in catching the Red Army (this will carry on for the next few turns).

Not a strategy that I would recommend for any german player. A gift to the Russians

Must admit I tend to agree, I did a test in the one of the scenarios of prioritising heading east, the end was a disaster. Key (to me) is a German player can't destroy the Red Army in combat and can't replicate the Soviet operational tactic of emphasising the disruption caused by a breakthrough, it has to focus on pockets. I also think that here Hitler was more realistic than his generals, small(ish) unbreakable pockets would have been better than massive encirclements

quote:

Ouch ya you opening up all those pockets in the south on T3 and cutting his supply is a huge set back for early game Germans.

well we'll come back to this in later turns, hindsight and knowing how it worked may help provide some perspective (for me as much as everyone else), but for the moment, cutting supply isn't really leading to a slow down (especially in the south)

quote:

ORIGINAL: johntoml56

Thanks for your reply and the AAR btw.

My limited anecdotal evidence is that the attrition caused when a HQ/Airbase is bumped is between 0% - 5% of the TOE which is trivial. But as you said every gun counts.

The other cost is that sometimes you will completely lose the SU as a result. So that is a longer cost (2 admin pts) than the cost of moving it out. Its like a lot of things, it works for me - not least I don't trust the auto-reassign routine and I want those SUs out of the Ukraine in any case.

quote:

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

All very interesting, as usual.

Pz push into S. Ukraine could be stopped by not allowing FBD to Romania and no German combat units rail through Romania. Not stopped, but limited, ok?

P, I am wondering what you meant when you said something about having an extra xxx hq?

I'm ok with the Pz South gambit. Gerries need to kill lots of Ivans..

Loki very good instructional for pocket breaking.

I don't think that Stef78 has sent his FBD into Romania. But its clear he has set up the angle of his attack to parallel the Romania border - one thing I do obsessionally is to look over German spearheads and count hexes/MP to rail and apart from where I cut him off, his are pretty much even all they way down his spearhead.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wuffer

yes, Loki, you are right - funny forum sometimes.

Regarding speed/range of the panzers, well, not all generals run them as far as possible, indeed most preferre not - for obvious reasons here best illustrated.
The single little fingers instead of a fist without neither flanking security nor coherence with the slower infantry is a gift.
I liked Silly's slower, but deadlier push with the infantry not too far behind and the mobile units allways with some reserve movement left. And I love BIG P's 'one forward (bait), two behind' tactic as well.

For my taste maybe a mot to much sacrified, but a good result. A nd maybe your good position could absorb the next medium 'ouch' disaster, which will come as sure as snow… :-) But don't underestimatedthe reach of his fast units, as P said Romania is the railhead atm.

I think that Sillyflower's model is exceptionally hard to defend against. I can see how you become tempted not to pull back (which seemed to happen to Brian) and then get caught out. Stef78's approach seems to be one of disruption and trying to wreck my industrial base - I guess he's prepared to trade off other things for that

(in reply to Wuffer)
Post #: 27
Turn 4: 10-16 July 1941 - 3/8/2016 11:46:04 AM   
loki100

Turn 4: 10-16 July 1941

When I opened the turn it was clear in the north that Stef was going straight for Leningrad.

I'd already pulled out the specialist factories and this turn moved 5 of the HI, 4 (of the 15 AP) and all the trucks. Thats enough to keep me on track for my rough goal of 200 HI-300 AP and all 140 truck factories.

The centre was a bit quieter. One small breach in the defences west of Smolensk Most of the action seemed to be connected with destroying my pocket on the Berezina.

My assumption is there will be action here next turn once they have recovered some supply. I can only presume a HQBU has taken place.

South was the biggest surprise.

Given all my effort to cut supply lines I was really surprised at how far they were able to move (I've indicated roughly where the front line was). On that basis, its clear that Stef is after Dnepropetrovsk and Zaporozhye. Over the next two turns I manage to evacuate 5/9 HI and 15/24 AP factories from those cities.

I doubt I am going to save much more than 200 HI, if I need to I'll start to prioritise HI evacuations over AP.

In the centre, I made an attempt (failed) to push back the GD brigade behind my lines. Otherwise both at Moscow and Leningrad focussed on creating secondary lines.

In the south, as you can see I'm trying to hold onto Odessa. Lots more pocket breaking and cutting off of spearheads (the stars on the map are where I either opened a pocket or cut off the advance guard). Pulled almost everything back to the Dneipr – too little rail cap after the factory moves to do much more – ideally I would have sent more to the lower Dneipr.

But I was fairly content that two turns of badly disrupted supply deliveries would slow the German lunge in the south.

Just for info, here's the OOB. No real surprises at the moment.

My losses increased as the early pockets were finally destroyed.

The Germans lost 16,000 men (6,000 kia), 64 tanks and 31 planes, I lost 222,000 men (14,000 kia, 190,000 prisoners), 1,800 tanks and 200 planes.

So far my permanent losses are 86,000 kia and 600,000 prisoners. In comparison against Vigabrand I'd lost 70,000 kia and 670,000 prisoners. Perhaps reflecting Stef's more aggressive opening he's lost 257 tanks so far (compared to 218).

Couple of game play points. One thing I do at the start is to set myself a series of 'budget' that I can then expend.

So for example, I have a budget of 2 million pows. Now I have changed my mind on this as the game develops and my own views change (it used to 1.8m). The idea is that I am quite prepared to sacrifice up to that number in 1941 in order to protect other things that really matter.

For industry, you start with 240 and around 135 are completely safe in 1941 (depending on how 1942 goes you may need to move some of this). Here, I've decided I have a budget of 40 (but can survive if I lose 60). So far (Stef78 has T9), I've lost 17 (I'm including HI cut off in Leningrad here).

My budget for truck factories is 0. I want all 140 to be available for the entire game.

For Arms Pts, you start with 370, 161 are safe in 1941. My rough goal is to lose no more than 70. But I treat these now as secondary. More is good to ease you over the 1942 army rebuild (and the new rules on post-Nov returns won't make any real difference), but sooner or later arms pts cease to be a concern. Usually around mid/late 1942. So the volume you have influences how early you return to surplus and perhaps how easy it is to reconfigure the army in 1943. But its not game ending to have less than ideal.

In effect, my mental model is I have 2m prisoners I am prepared to trade for no losses in truck factories and no more than 40 HI factories.

Second bit is pocket breaking. I tend to set the at start tank and motorised divisions to 50% ToE. My logic is they tend to be unready if they have fought, they shed cv when you move them and you want to save the trucks for later.

But even 'unready', with around 18MP, they can retake hexes that are in Axis control but outside zones of control – and flip adjacent hexes.

But the best tool is the cavalry divisions. They tend to have higher morale (ie lower MP costs) and can often move past a ZoC. From playing a couple of new German players (mostly in the scenarios and one early ending campaign), I think they tend to under-estimate how disruptive these can be. A lot of Soviet players I think are over-cautious. The cavalry is valuable, and hard to replace (a squad cost 4* arms pts compared to a rifle squad), but its a case of working to your priorities. My hope is that by breaking pockets and cutting off spearheads, I buy some of the time I need for industry evacuation.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 3/8/2016 11:49:58 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 28
RE: Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/8/2016 12:59:38 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

I think that Sillyflower's model is exceptionally hard to defend against. I can see how you become tempted not to pull back (which seemed to happen to Brian) and then get caught out.

Thank you. I devised it specifically to deal with Brian's very aggressive defence strategy that had discomfited me in our earlier abortive starts. It is also necessary to some extent to retain mobility (it's that last unit with lots of MPs that makes the successful pocket) because I've never used any fuel exploits. I rarely played as German, and never understood any of them before they were stopped so I can't claim any moral credit for this!

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 29
RE: Turn 3: 3-9 July 1941 - 3/8/2016 2:05:43 PM   
Powloon

Your opponent really doesn't believe in flank security does he Nice moves cutting off those spearheads! At the very least that is going to start getting inside his head and perhaps make him more cautious which would be a minor victory in its own right.

From my (limited) experience it seems possible to move panzer group 1 SE fast for the first couple of turns and then use the Romanian rail to resupply which then allows for another 2 turns at more or less full movement. So I would guess he will have to pause in the South next turn but I have been wrong before

Another thing that stands out from your stats last turn is you seem to have a lot of planes? I'm guessing you didn't have an absolute massacre on the first turn?

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Sympathy for the Devil: Loki100 vs Stef78 (Stef78 welcome) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI