Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Simulate Cyber Warfare

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Simulate Cyber Warfare Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Simulate Cyber Warfare - 12/24/2016 3:15:56 AM   
kevinkins

Been thinking of using Special Actions to trigger a “cyber attack”. The player executes the action when they choose to which has a random chance of causing an successful attack. Here is a very basic example. It has a 1/3 chance of disabling the computer side’s radar. menu > game > special actions ...

math.randomseed(os.time())
math.random(); math.random(); math.random()
a = ( math.random( 1, 3 ) )
if a == 1 then
ScenEdit_SetEMCON('Side', 'Red', 'Radar=Passive')
end

Of course, this example has the global effect knocking out a side's radar completely. The lua code can be made much more specific to unit and more random. The cyber attack’s effect could be delayed and/or only temporary.

Couple of questions. Is this technique worth pursuing from a game play POV? If so, what other “nodes” could the cyber attack strike. Radar, Sonar, Deactivate missions, fuel = 0 to disable a ship etc. Any other mischief that you can think of? If you know of a scenario using “cyber attacks” I would like to take a look at the implementation.

Thanks.

Kevin
Post #: 1
RE: Simulate Cyber Warfare - 12/24/2016 9:45:08 AM   
bradinggs

Also looking into it using events/triggers. Some ideas, spoofing positions of detected enemy ie. GPS manipulation, radar shutdowns/false signals/detections, overwhelming the radar with fake detections (might really hit the processor though if too many appear) but perhaps have 25-50 pop up and one of them could be a real detection but too many to really sort through unless of course eyeball. Others could be fake directions given to units, requiring you to have to re-command them etc.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 2
RE: Simulate Cyber Warfare - 12/24/2016 12:32:58 PM   
Gunner98

I like the idea, a general shut down would be unlikely but if linked to a well crafted IADS where the C3 Bunker is on a different side etc http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3515483&mpage=1&key=iads

And the attack is against the command side and you shut that down, it will affect the whole system BUT - if an independent radar is set to turn on when the 'Command' side is shut down that will still work and your SEAD strike would still be needed but have an easier job of it.

I also think that a timed, repeatable event should be set up to turn everything back on as the Cyber defence boys work their magic. That should add some tension in the game

I don't think (but who really knows) that GPS spoofing would work this way. To my understanding it has very limited range and needs to be quite focused. Perhaps a unit is required that has a limited range effectiveness, can be placed on the map and provides a % chance of defeating a JDAMs type weapon. A designer could place it on a key target for instance.

B

(in reply to bradinggs)
Post #: 3
RE: Simulate Cyber Warfare - 12/24/2016 3:40:49 PM   
bradinggs

Yeah, some randomness/return of power from the cyber team doing their system repairs would certainly add some challenge.

Regarding the GPS spoofing, no need for RF signal coverage, was thinking more of a worm onboard. This is of course making use of human intervention, the weakest link.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 4
RE: Simulate Cyber Warfare - 12/24/2016 4:43:28 PM   
kevinkins

Great feedback. Thank you. It seems the added time coding could be well worth it depending on the scenario.

Kevin

(in reply to bradinggs)
Post #: 5
RE: Simulate Cyber Warfare - 12/24/2016 7:02:02 PM   
bradinggs

Working on some ideas for drone usage and cyber warfare in a scenario but will have to test it to see if it works the way I think it should, basically just using triggers/events. Not clued up on Lua yet. With all the tech on the water, some interesting scenarios can be created with a chain of cyber attacks.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 6
RE: Simulate Cyber Warfare - 12/25/2016 4:48:52 AM   
kevinkins

Checking around the net I found this write-up that provides a bit of a basic framework. Not the details that would be simulated but a way to think about cyber warfare in discreet steps and the messaging given to players. I am starting from ground zero so found it useful.

Kevin

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/ModernAirPower/user/cyber.html

(in reply to bradinggs)
Post #: 7
RE: Simulate Cyber Warfare - 1/1/2017 4:04:00 AM   
tomrlutong2

What a great idea.

I think of cyberattacks as setting off preset attacks, like in Battlestar Galacitica. Some ideas for effects:
-parasite software in the defense systems turns all emitters on full -- nasty against stealth planes and subs.
-snuck a back door into a key system: one class of unmanned platforms switches sides.
-disrupt command net: all units out of comms for 15 - 60 minutes.
-sabatoge in FBW software: stealth degraded 50% or so due to poor control surface management
-hack that stupid f-35 logistics software: F-35 mechanical failure rate soars.
-Oh, yeah, that stuff you stole? Turns out the stealth stuff China hacked was a plant. Chinese stealth has systematic flaws that every F-35 adaptively exploits.
-Oh, yeah, well that stuff you bought from us? All US radars fail.
-Not sure whos procurement system fails worse: Both sides have 50% chance of fighter guns failing.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 8
RE: Simulate Cyber Warfare - 1/6/2017 1:47:55 PM   
kevinkins

An overview of cyber warfare re: to air defense.

http://faculty.nps.edu/dedennin/publications/Active%20Cyber%20Defense%20-%20Cyber%20Analogies.pdf

(in reply to tomrlutong2)
Post #: 9
RE: Simulate Cyber Warfare - 1/6/2017 3:31:01 PM   
stilesw

Added to our Dropbox Reference Library. Reminder, if anyone would like access to the Dropbox please PM me with your email address.

-Wayne Stiles

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Simulate Cyber Warfare Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI