Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions from a new player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Questions from a new player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions from a new player - 7/2/2003 10:03:30 PM   
DaveMoore

Hi there, I have already learned a lot from this excellent forum, but I have a couple of questions which I can't seem to find out any answers for yet.
1. When using air supply, is there anywhere to say how many supplies are being transported? When I look at the C-47 plane data it shows a capacity of 10,000 which is obvioulsy the poundage that the C-47 can carry and not its load in supply units.

2.How do you make task forces or individual ships go at maximum speed?

I hope all of the experts out there can help.:)

Thanks in advance and be prepared for many more questions!!;)
Post #: 1
- 7/2/2003 10:17:20 PM   
pry

As near as I have been able to figure it supply is based on the ton so each C-47 carring 10,000 pounds is actually transporting 5 supply points.

I could be very wrong about this but this is how it looks to me after putting pencil and paper to it and doing my best impression of Jethro Bodine cyphering the numbers. :D

(in reply to DaveMoore)
Post #: 2
- 7/2/2003 10:25:21 PM   
DaveMoore

Wow - super fast reply

Thanks for the quick response. That makes sense, as I was supplying Gili-Gili with about 5 units of C-47s and the supply depot only went down by a couple of hundred suppies, so your maths looks pretty good.
I will put in a requisition for a few more thousand C-47s as I keep losing my naval transports!!!

(in reply to DaveMoore)
Post #: 3
Re: Questions from a new player - 7/2/2003 11:09:39 PM   
mbatch729

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaveMoore
[B].

2.How do you make task forces or individual ships go at maximum speed?
[/B][/QUOTE]

First, "Welcome Aboard!" Now, put all the messy details of your life in order. You know, say goodbye to the wife and kids. Tell your boss you are on an extended leave. Find a nicely padded chair. This game will eat up your time like no other :)

As for #2, short answer is you can't. Only three types of TF's move at maximum speed. A bombardment TF, a fast transport TF, and a mine TF, all set to "Retirement Allowed" All others go along at cruise speed.

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to DaveMoore)
Post #: 4
- 7/2/2003 11:15:15 PM   
AmiralLaurent

1) C-47 are great to carry troops to a hot point but they can't support a base alone.
If you want to support Gili-Gili sent every two days a lonely 1500-ton AP (or AK, the 1500-ton ones). If there is no Japanese plane based closer than Lae and Rabaul, they are likely to escape detection and even if they are seen, Japanese Betties and Nell will not take off for only one ship.

If GG is regularly bombarbed by IJN ships or by CV planes, it's another story. But even if you lose some AP/AK, they are worth 7 points. To bring 1500 points of supplies will need 300 C-47 flights at long range (Australia-GG) and cause you maybe more than 7 operationnal losses.

It works well for me both against AI and in PBEM. A regular service to PM is safer because bombardment TF are usually spotted when they turn round GG.

Last PBEM, I supply both base like that for a month, made 15-10 trips to PM and 8-10 to GG and lost three ships (one fell to a bombardment TF, one was caught by the IJN invasion fleet and sunk by carriers planes flying 600 sorties against it and another was sunk by a sub...). That is 21 points lost to bring 30000 supply points (6000 C-47 sorties).

The only problem with that is subs... lonely AP are easy to sink for them, so I have DD&SC patroling off Cairns and Townsville and tens of planes performing ASW from each port, with also some ASW planes in PM/GG (some Seagulls detached from my CA).

C-47 carry troops. If you want to send troops and supplies to New Guinea, send the troops by air and the supplies by sea. Or you will see half of your troops drowned and the rest unable to do anything by lack of supplies.

2) AFAIK, only fast-transport and bombardment TF sail at maximum speed once they are in range of the target hex. In all other cases, they sail at cruise speed.

(in reply to DaveMoore)
Post #: 5
- 7/3/2003 2:03:57 AM   
DaveMoore

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the good advice and tactics. It is really nice to be on a friendly forum where people are helpful and offer valuable advice. It really makes a difference to be on a friendly forum. Please stand by for lots more questions in the future!!! :)

(in reply to DaveMoore)
Post #: 6
- 7/3/2003 8:33:43 AM   
Snigbert

[B]It is really nice to be on a friendly forum where people are helpful and offer valuable advice.[/B]

**** off!!! :)

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

(in reply to DaveMoore)
Post #: 7
C47's - 7/3/2003 8:13:19 PM   
Bobthehatchit

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snigbert
[B][B]It is really nice to be on a friendly forum where people are helpful and offer valuable advice.[/B]

**** off!!! :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Easy!! Bloody Yanks..:D

One thing to remember when air transporting troops is that not all of some units equipment can be loaded on to planes, heavy AA (bofors) and artilley does not fit. Although you can fast transport the remaining equipment across later on.

oh and hello and enjoy the game, lock all doors, put the kinds to bed and the wife out, grab a beer and prepare to still be making that one last turn before bed at 3 am.
:p

"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!

(in reply to DaveMoore)
Post #: 8
- 7/4/2003 12:43:32 AM   
Mike_B20

Air transport can be risky if your opponent is flying long range CAP over the destination.
Be prepred to lose many troops and transports if he is.

Also, be VERY careful transporting the 'main' unit, ie usually the last bit, the one with the full unit name, as there is a bug to do with transport that sometimes the full unit disappears if the parent unit is destroyed.:eek:

Never give up, never surrender

(in reply to DaveMoore)
Post #: 9
- 7/4/2003 4:35:39 AM   
wobbly

Any TF will run at maximum speed if it is retiring to its home base, and teh homne base is with in the maximum speed sprint distance. In the case of a transport TF however its cruise speed is about 1 knot slower than fastest speed.

I often set my Air TFs to retire to a homebase - within your maximum speed "yellow" range circle - in order to get them the h3ll out of dodge after a sneaky naval air attack. Then reset its home base and retire another maximum speed sprint.

(in reply to DaveMoore)
Post #: 10
- 7/4/2003 7:23:15 AM   
Snigbert

[B]I often set my Air TFs to retire to a homebase - within your maximum speed "yellow" range circle - in order to get them the h3ll out of dodge after a sneaky naval air attack. Then reset its home base and retire another maximum speed sprint.[/B]

Very clever, I never thought of that. In a way it seems gamey, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to order a tf to move at it's fastest speed so if you have to use a system tweak to achieve it...no big deal.

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

(in reply to DaveMoore)
Post #: 11
Re: Re: Questions from a new player - 7/4/2003 7:58:30 AM   
crsutton

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mbatch729
[

As for #2, short answer is you can't. Only three types of TF's move at maximum speed. A bombardment TF, a fast transport TF, and a mine TF, all set to "Retirement Allowed" All others go along at cruise speed. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think surface forces plotted into an enemy base will also do a high speed run for the last turn.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to DaveMoore)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Questions from a new player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI