Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carrier group formation and deploying in the Falkland war

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Carrier group formation and deploying in the Falkland war Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carrier group formation and deploying in the Falkland war - 2/22/2017 8:18:45 AM   
falcon2006

I'm playing the community scenario of Falkland war, my question is in reality, where did royal navy deploy their carriers. Is there a specific distance and direction between the task force and Falkland? If so, what is the distance? BTW, can anyone recommend me books about modern(1970-) carrier group formation, tactics and warfare?
Post #: 1
RE: Carrier group formation and deploying in the Falkla... - 2/22/2017 10:11:49 AM   
Rory Noonan

The deployment in my scenario Good Morning Malvinas is based on historical accounts, of course after that date the group moved around.

(in reply to falcon2006)
Post #: 2
RE: Carrier group formation and deploying in the Falkla... - 2/23/2017 5:34:37 PM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

So how about that South Georgia scenario you were once planning when you released the already mentioned scenario of yours - "Good Morning Malvinas", one of the best Falkland war scenarios I have ever played in this game?

"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 3
RE: Carrier group formation and deploying in the Falkla... - 2/23/2017 8:44:27 PM   
Rory Noonan

Life got in the way; come to think of it that was just over a year ago.

I'm working on something else at the moment but I think I should get into the South Georgia one and get it done.

Glad to know there is still interest.

(in reply to Sensei.Tokugawa)
Post #: 4
RE: Carrier group formation and deploying in the Falkla... - 2/24/2017 1:04:40 PM   
SeaQueen

Regarding distance, they'd begin flight ops as close to their intended target as possible. They'd probably begin flying defensive air patrols even before that. Think of the defensive counter air patrols as a shield. You start flying that early and make sure it's always between you and your opponent, ideally far enough away that they're intercepted before they get in missile launch range. For strike, you want to get the carrier as close to the Falklands as possible and still stay safe. That means outside of their SAM coverage, outside their DCAP coverage and outside the range of any land based ASCMs or artillery. The idea behind getting as close as you can is that it maximizes your sortie rate by minimizing the time aircraft have to fly to their targets and back. The further away you are, the fewer sorties you can fly.

quote:

ORIGINAL: falcon2006

I'm playing the community scenario of Falkland war, my question is in reality, where did royal navy deploy their carriers. Is there a specific distance and direction between the task force and Falkland? If so, what is the distance? BTW, can anyone recommend me books about modern(1970-) carrier group formation, tactics and warfare?

(in reply to falcon2006)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Carrier group formation and deploying in the Falkland war Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI