Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are there any plans reg. H3 Battlesets?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are there any plans reg. H3 Battlesets? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are there ... - 2/9/2017 9:41:34 AM   
TheCabal

Hello guys,

I wonder hard why nobody misses the old Harpoon Battlesets in Command. Wouldn't they be great DLC's?
Or are they damned to rot inside Harpoon Ultimate Edition?

Only found a few words across the internet. A dev was talking about taking care of the "Auto Planner" first before trying to convert the Atlantic Battleset... but it was a year ago.

In another forum someone kindly asked if he may convert them to Command, which got denied by Mike. So is it
going to rot like Dungeon Keeper in EA's cellar or do you acutally have some plans to revive them?

We do have plenty of Scenarios I know, but well not really categorized and without a possibility to keep track of victories, losses and progresses or at least "what did I already play with what outcome and points?" (posted a question on steam regarding this).
Anyway, the old stuff would enrich CMANO for sure!

Greetings!
Cabal
Post #: 1
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/9/2017 10:14:47 AM   
AlGrant

Cabal,

Those scenarios were good, although no better than we currently have in NI and as you rightly say they are "the old stuff"
With the extra features in CMANO I doubt some sort of direct port into CMANO would work very well and they'd need to be virtually rewritten.
If that's the case then the editor already allows players to recreate these and link them as a campaign - I'm not aware than any player/community campaigns have been released.

I do agree that some sort of record on past scores would be a nice addition, but as we have the scoring log with expenditures/losses etc this can be done manually.
I used to keep my own log to track my wins/losses but stopped updating it (which makes me wonder how useful I'd actually find it!)

Personally, and as an ex-Harpoon player, I'd much rather the devs concentrate on adding new features and functionality rather than copying old scenarios from another game.

You mentioned the 'Auto Planner' - as somebody lucky enough to be involved in the beta testing, I can say the devs are working incredibly hard on CMANO and implementing some new features that will enrich CMANO far more than some old scenarios ever could. (Enrich is something of an understatement!)

Al

< Message edited by AlGrant -- 2/9/2017 10:36:09 AM >

(in reply to TheCabal)
Post #: 2
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/9/2017 1:26:12 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheCabal

Hello guys,

I wonder hard why nobody misses the old Harpoon Battlesets in Command. Wouldn't they be great DLC's?
Or are they damned to rot inside Harpoon Ultimate Edition?

Only found a few words across the internet. A dev was talking about taking care of the "Auto Planner" first before trying to convert the Atlantic Battleset... but it was a year ago.

In another forum someone kindly asked if he may convert them to Command, which got denied by Mike. So is it
going to rot like Dungeon Keeper in EA's cellar or do you acutally have some plans to revive them?

We do have plenty of Scenarios I know, but well not really categorized and without a possibility to keep track of victories, losses and progresses or at least "what did I already play with what outcome and points?" (posted a question on steam regarding this).
Anyway, the old stuff would enrich CMANO for sure!

Greetings!
Cabal

We can't sell anybody else's IP. Its that simple.

Community could take this up though no problem. The tools are all there and there is nothing to stop you.
So you being the guy that doesn't want all those wonderful scenarios to go to waste are you willing to take it up as your project? Or is it somebody's elses problem to not let such treasure fall by the wayside?

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 2/9/2017 1:28:42 PM >

(in reply to TheCabal)
Post #: 3
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/9/2017 5:19:24 PM   
TheCabal

quote:

We can't sell anybody else's IP. Its that simple.

Community could take this up though no problem. The tools are all there and there is nothing to stop you.
So you being the guy that doesn't want all those wonderful scenarios to go to waste are you willing to take it up as your project? Or is it somebody's elses problem to not let such treasure fall by the wayside?

Mike

Hi there Mike,

I understand. Thanks for clarification. I remember the scenarios from my old days, but I'm far from experienced in playing Harpoon and CMANO to recreate them all by myself. At a certain skill-level I might take this kind of project into account.

I was just wondering since Harpoon and CMANO share a tight relationship and it's not that unusual to revive stuff after so many years espacially with new looks.

Greetings and thx again,
Cabal

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/9/2017 6:29:42 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

It would be great if someone made those scenarios. I never played Harpoon, and would like to try out some of those classics.

(in reply to TheCabal)
Post #: 5
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/9/2017 7:21:01 PM   
TheCabal

I think there is a mission of the old Harpoon in CMANO called "First Contact 19xx" (actually "Dawn Patrol"?). Not sure if there are more.

Otherwise I would suggest you go for Harpoon Ultimate Edition if the age doesn't scare you. Lot's of content and Battlesets inside... but you will quickly miss CMANO! It's a true gem.

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 6
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/12/2017 4:35:23 AM   
Rory Noonan

I personally would love to see a re-do of Mike's SIMEX. That scenario basically got me hooked on Harpoon and probably had a lot to do with my joining the Navy.

I totally understand that there are much more important projects on the table, however.

If anyone can give me the basic outlines of scenarios they want made I'd be happy to give recreating them a go (no promises; I'm not going to take on something I'm not interested in or that's too large).

This obviously would require the original author's permission.

Actually, on second thought if one was to attempt to contact the author without success would it be reasonable to create the mission, attribute it to the original author and then remove it if they ever objected?

(in reply to TheCabal)
Post #: 7
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/12/2017 5:56:16 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

I would think that if you made it very clear who made the original scenario than you should be fine

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 8
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/12/2017 1:18:52 PM   
Sardaukar

I thought there were some available, user-made ones.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Post #: 9
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/12/2017 2:19:56 PM   
ultradave

There are a couple in the community pack I think, and in the write-ups they state that they are either inspired by or a rewrite of an old Harpoon scenario. Off hand I can't remember which ones. Plus the Muammar Quadaffi one that is from 688 Attack Sub (I think?)

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 10
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/12/2017 5:16:17 PM   
Gunner98

I really think that the old Harpoon scenarios (and I started playing them in '89) - great for the time and capability of the game then - have been somewhat overtaken by the capability of Command.

There are a handful in the community pack, but I think if you used the ideas presented in the 'old stuff' and added the current capabilities that Command offers - you have a great scenario. If you stick slavishly to the original plot it has a good chance of being ho-hum, or unbalanced. There are plenty of scenarios in the community pack that resemble the ideas of the old Harpoon stuff, and much of that is just be chance. The scenarios depicting the GIUK gap, Falklands, Med etc are not that far removed from the old stuff but are fitted for Command's capabilities - most are pretty good.

B

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 11
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/12/2017 9:48:29 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Again, I haven't played Harpoon so I don't really know much about those scenarios, but I would think that since yes they were built on a different system that is probably not as good as CMANO, the best way to approach this would be to spend time carefully examining each scenario and try and adapt it to the CMANO engine. This would take great effort and time. And if I had both I would do it, but alas I am completely unqualified, I never even finished my first CMANO scenario

So if someone is willing to do it, I can say that I would play their recreations of Harpoon scenarios.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 12
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/13/2017 1:39:21 AM   
rvseydlitz

I believe the issue is that CMANO is not "Harpoon part xxx" but rather a completely different game. While the CMANO devs all began as Harpoon players and contributors, it is understandable that they cannot really go and pull things out of Harpoon to plug into their new game.

Post #: 13
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/13/2017 9:55:25 AM   
TheCabal

At least it makes it worth to own the Harpoon Ultimate Edition. Lots of serious playgrounds inside it.

(in reply to rvseydlitz)
Post #: 14
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/13/2017 10:15:28 AM   
Rory Noonan

Is it playable on a modern machine?

(in reply to TheCabal)
Post #: 15
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/13/2017 10:44:47 AM   
butch4343

I flitted around with creating a few of the GIUK gap scenarios from HCE.

Here’s what I learned, creating scenarios are immensely enjoyable, but take time.

The big problem I found with the harpoon scenarios is that CMNAO is a much more capable beast. If you simply copy the scenario then you are left with scenarios that are frankly flat and lacking compared to others, you sometimes end up adding so much in order to add to the gameplay that it doesn’t really look like the old scenario.

I also found sometimes units had capabilities in the old Harpoon scenario that are missing in the current CMAO because CMNAO is more accurate.

I have a couple if your interested, PM me if you fancy them, Ill happily send them.

Butch

< Message edited by butch4343 -- 2/13/2017 10:45:47 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/14/2017 10:13:47 AM   
TheCabal

quote:

ORIGINAL: apache85

Is it playable on a modern machine?

On a W7 64-Bit operating system it runs great (everything inside this collection).
Though you must be ready to face an older UI. But hey... it's about the value which resides inside it right?

< Message edited by TheCabal -- 2/14/2017 10:14:17 AM >

Post #: 17
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/14/2017 10:41:53 AM   
Rory Noonan

Yeah it's likely just be to scope out OOB, mission and storyline for transferring to CMANO. I do remember Harpoon 3 having a positively archaic UI even by 2004 standards.

I'll probably pick it up in the next week or so and let you know if it works on Win10

(in reply to TheCabal)
Post #: 18
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/14/2017 2:18:07 PM   
TheOriginalOverlord

I am slowly working on some of the old Harpoon scenarios..but like Butch posted...copying them straight over they are dull or very narrow...

So i'm at the point I've copied one and I set back and look at it and go how much can I tweak/add to this to take advantage of all CMANO has to offer. I'll release one one day... I'm still working on AI routine and scoring etc...

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

Post #: 19
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/20/2017 12:43:02 PM   
butch4343

Apolgies for the lateness of my reply

I have three that I believe are complete

Rapiers Thrust

A long range air attack on Murmansk co-ordinated with SSN launched TLAMs

Cutting The Noose

A CVN against Iceland

And Doolitovs Raid

A sustained air campaign against Scotland

I believe they are complete but feel free to play around with them and edit them.

Cutting The Noose

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by butch4343 -- 2/20/2017 12:44:23 PM >

(in reply to TheOriginalOverlord)
Post #: 20
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/20/2017 12:43:58 PM   
butch4343

Doolitovs Raid

Attachment (1)

(in reply to butch4343)
Post #: 21
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/20/2017 12:45:38 PM   
butch4343

Rapiers Thrust

Attachment (1)

(in reply to butch4343)
Post #: 22
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/20/2017 10:27:21 PM   
Excroat3

quote:

ORIGINAL: butch4343

Apolgies for the lateness of my reply

I have three that I believe are complete

Rapiers Thrust

A long range air attack on Murmansk co-ordinated with SSN launched TLAMs

Cutting The Noose

A CVN against Iceland

And Doolitovs Raid

A sustained air campaign against Scotland

I believe they are complete but feel free to play around with them and edit them.

Cutting The Noose

Are these in the Mods and Scenarios thread already? If not, they would definitely benefit from being posted there, so people can test out the scenarios and report their progress.

(in reply to butch4343)
Post #: 23
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/20/2017 11:07:02 PM   
demyansk

I liked the old Harpoon game. Can you still get that game?

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 24
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/21/2017 7:19:42 AM   
Galahad78

Sure: http://www.matrixgames.com/store/product.asp?gid=392

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 25
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/21/2017 8:15:24 AM   
Rory Noonan

$82.99AUD!!!

Tell 'em they're dreamin'.

(in reply to Galahad78)
Post #: 26
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/21/2017 12:41:03 PM   
stilesw

demjansk,

You might check on eBay. There are usually several copies of the various editions of Harpoon out there.

-Wayne Stiles

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 27
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 2/21/2017 2:41:57 PM   
Maromak

quote:

ORIGINAL: apache85

$82.99AUD!!!

Tell 'em they're dreamin'.

Obligatory The Castle link

Certa Cito

Post #: 28
RE: Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are th... - 3/13/2017 8:31:24 AM   
Rory Noonan

Not a battleset, but I have made a re-do of an old H3 scenario.

Here's the forum post; I'd love to hear some feedback on it.

(in reply to Maromak)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Old Harpoon Battleset DLC's for CMANO maybe? Are there any plans reg. H3 Battlesets? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI