Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finicky Finns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Finicky Finns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finicky Finns - 5/19/2017 3:50:45 PM   
jakemon

In my first outing with the Allies against the V1.03 AI at default settings, the British-French intervention in Finland was successful. The Finns showed as 10% pro Wallies in the diplomatic screen. They stayed there after the fall of France, and also through Barbarossa- in spite of the Germs taking the trigger towns of Pskow, Ostrov, and Polotsk.

The Soviets held Leningrad and Novograd and winter arrived. It seemed like a perfect time to redeploy most of the extra units guarding the border hexes. The Soviet Baltic Fleet was ordered to stop raiding the Swedish convoy route and return to port, and carelessly ended their turn adjacent to neutral Helsinki. The Finns became outraged and immediately declared war on the USSR- nice touch!
Post #: 1
RE: Finicky Finns - 5/19/2017 6:08:39 PM   
mst007

I am in a similar position i a game against the AI, thanks for the tip! Incidentally, your typo made me belly-laugh, the Allies will now forever be known as the "Wallies" :)

(in reply to jakemon)
Post #: 2
RE: Finicky Finns - 5/19/2017 7:50:18 PM   
jakemon

Thank you, but I can't take credit for the abbreviation for Western Allies. It does point out an important distinction here, particularly for the Finns- and the subtlety came as some surprise for me.

It is a pleasant surprise SC is loaded with these kind of subtleties, even when it's an unpleasant surprise...

(in reply to mst007)
Post #: 3
RE: Finicky Finns - 5/25/2017 11:46:24 AM   
Leadwieght

Yes, that is a nice design nuance. Historically plausible too IMO. After the Finns were attacked by the SU in the Winter War, I would think they were looking for anything resembling an opportune moment to get a bit of their own back. Wallies be damned, they'd throw in the Axis if it looked like a chance to hit back at the Bolshies.

(in reply to jakemon)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Finicky Finns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI